Author Topic: The Way of Kings : pre-release  (Read 37630 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Kings : pre-release
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »

It's not too hard.  You just make the hissy s sound with the buzzy z sound at the same time. ha ha.

That's actually impossible to do. :) Z is what is called a "voiced" version of the same sound as S- that is, you're making a buzzing sound in your throat while  pronouncing it. It's an on/off thing, so you can't do both at once unless you are blessed with two heads. ;)

You like change the way you position your teeth.  I promise you can do it. xD  Also a weird thing with your tongue.  It's like instead of using air to make the hiss you use the buzz to make the hiss.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »

It's not too hard.  You just make the hissy s sound with the buzzy z sound at the same time. ha ha.

That's actually impossible to do. :) Z is what is called a "voiced" version of the same sound as S- that is, you're making a buzzing sound in your throat while  pronouncing it. It's an on/off thing, so you can't do both at once unless you are blessed with two heads. ;)

You like change the way you position your teeth.  I promise you can do it. xD  Also a weird thing with your tongue.  It's like instead of using air to make the hiss you use the buzz to make the hiss.

Okay, now I'm convinced you are obsessed Miyabi. If you are taking hours to perfect your pronunciation of Szeth. I'm scared now.  :D

You like.. found a new way to SPEAK just for BS.  ;D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

Okay, now I'm convinced you are obsessed Miyabi. If you are taking hours to perfect your pronunciation of Szeth. I'm scared now.  :D

You like.. found a new way to SPEAK just for BS.  ;D

If I understand Miyabi, it's painfully easy. ;)

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »

The difference between the sounds doesn't involve the teeth or the tongue, but maybe you're doing something different entirely, like making a 'Zh'* sound.

* IPA symbol for 'Zh' is [ʒ], and it's the sound at the end of the word massage.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:46:33 AM by Ari54 »

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2010, 08:21:19 AM »
Like this?

Sssszzzeth. Zzzzseth. Zszszszszszszszzzsssss.

Oh now look what you've done. Now my keyboard is all wet.  ;)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

I really don't see why it's so hard.  I say it out loud I can distinctly hear both the z and the s sound. . . o.e  It doesn't sound like 'zh'. . . Maybe I'm making the "z" in the middle or back of my mouth?  Yeah, it's kind of like I'm not making the 'z' with my teeth, it's further back in my mouth.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2010, 04:24:53 AM »

I really don't see why it's so hard.  I say it out loud I can distinctly hear both the z and the s sound. . . o.e  It doesn't sound like 'zh'. . . Maybe I'm making the "z" in the middle or back of my mouth?  Yeah, it's kind of like I'm not making the 'z' with my teeth, it's further back in my mouth.

As I mentioned above, it's impossible to both buzz your throat and not buzz it at the same time. I suppose you could also start out not buzzing it and transition to the voiced consonant, but that's not the same thing as saying them both at once. (and it makes you sound like an insect! :) )

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
I have to side with Ari. Sure, it's possible to hear the s sound while you say the z sound. But that's because of area of articulation: the z sound is just the s sound with buzzing added. You ALWAYS make an s sound when you make a z sound. It's impossible to make a z sound without making an s sound. What the air does through your lips is the same; the only difference is what it does in the rest of your mouth.

However, it is also possible that you have idiosyncratic articulation. It is possible to make a sound that sounds pretty much the same while using a different articulation point. It's possible that you typically use different articulation points when you say s from the ones you use to say z, and what you're doing now is using the same articulation point instead. That might make it sound to you like you're making both sounds at once.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:43:38 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »

I think I'm doing what you said Peter, actually I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing I just suck at explaining it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »

I think I'm doing what you said Peter, actually I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing I just suck at explaining it.

Ima stick with the theory that you have become obsessive and have modified your genes so that your mouth can now handle a whole new way of speaking.

:D

Recruit of the Omegas.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »

Ima stick with the theory that you have become obsessive and have modified your genes so that your mouth can now handle a whole new way of speaking.

Either that or Miyabi has two voice boxes and is buzzing with one of them and not with the other. ;D

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2010, 01:08:58 AM »

You'd be surprised what some of us would do as fans of Brandon Sanderson.

I for one spent an entire afternoon learning to speak Eastern Slang. After all, Fanning of the wasing am I!  8)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2010, 05:08:44 AM »
Is it at all similar to Czar?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
Speaking of the eastern style being of the silver starred above the norm.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »

You'd be surprised what some of us would do as fans of Brandon Sanderson.

I for one spent an entire afternoon learning to speak Eastern Slang. After all, Fanning of the wasing am I!  8)

Oh, I know. I've practiced drawing fluid Aons for days while I was reading Elantris over again.

Recruit of the Omegas.