Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335791 times)

laddr

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »
Wow finally finished this afternoon. AMAZING!!!

Brandon I am so glad you had the courage to finish the book as you saw fit, I think Vin and Elend dying made a lot of sense in the story, and while completely surprising, also made the book/series that much better in my mind.

I am sold as a Sanderson fan for all time! Keep writing what you believe in...

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »
Sorry if this has already been answered Brandon, I'm still working on getting caught up with the forums, I've been busy, sick, and dealing with identity theft! :o

But could you give us a short guide on how Spooks dialect is spoken?

I would actually love to see this as well.  I think there have been a few sort-of explanations in other threads, but I'd love to see something a bit more detailed. 

It would be so much fun to talk in the Spook's street slang with my friends.
That was my thought as well. ha ha. Everyone would be clueless!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
I was working on my Metals table last night and I was wondering what are the exact percentages for each Allomantic Alloy.   We know Allomancer's Pewter is 91% Tin and 9% Lead so I was wondering what the others were.

Chromium's (the "15th metal") alloy (according to BS), Nicrosil (the 16th)
Nicrosil:  14.4% Chromium, 1.4% Silicon, 0.1% Magnesium, and the balance of that is Nickel.

But isn't there some variation in that? I mean, if it was actually .5% magnesium and only 13.9% Chromium it would still be Nicrosil, right?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 02, 2008, 12:14:16 AM »
That's why I asked for the Allomancer's Alloy percentages.   On wikipedia, Pewter is listed as between 85 and 99 percent tin with the remainder lead.   Steel is not listed as exact percentages at all not to mention there are like a dozen different types of steel like stainless which contains Chromium or carbon which contains, SURPISE!, carbon!   I'm looking to see if BS will give us exact numbers. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 02, 2008, 04:19:46 AM »
Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have exact percentages but hey, he seems like a fairly analytical guy. He may surprise me.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

newimperium

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 02, 2008, 06:29:15 AM »
Wow...   This book was AMAZING.  Not since the WoT have I been so into and impacted by a series...

I'm surprised more people don't mention Vin as their favorite character.  I mean, she may be the obvious choice for the casual reader, but what I loved was that Brandon was willing to make the "leading" character a very powerful (yet small and seemingly unassuming) girl.  I mean, the image of her wiping out armies of humans and koloss (much less Inquisitors) was always awesome and refreshing!

Which brings me to say... Vin vs. the Inquisitors has to be the most incredible fight scene I've ever read.  Images of the final battle in Matrix Revolutions flashed to mind, yet this was far beyond that.  This IMO is what gives Brandon's writing such strength:  you can rarely find an author who can write combat scenes well. Yet they are gripping, but also technical enough without getting bogged down in details or unrealism.  That, plus how he can create vivid images of the world and action in a scene without using paragraphs and paragraphs of description are what, what I compare him to Robert Jordan, makes me confident not only that the WoT is in good hands, but that the last book will be as good and possibly better than any other WoT book.  And if the climax is anything as gripping as Hero of Ages was, then I will be satisfied and it will be well worth the wait!

What I really loved about Vin (or the way that Brandon writes her) is how resourceful she is...  She's always able to figure out how to do what seems impossible. That makes you *believe* she can do virtually anything, and absorbs you into her character in anticipation of what she's going to do next. I don't think I've ever devoured chapters of a character as hungrily as I did with Vin's. It was hard to absorb the ending for me. I thought that with Ruin's body destroyed, Vin would end up stronger and could destroy him, then take both halves of the power into herself.  Though while part of me wishes it had ended this way, without being able to live with Elend they would both have been... incomplete. After reflection I see that she did was she was born to do... and in my mind she's not only the hero of the book, but the Hero of Ages, as well.

BTW... Has anyone felt a resemblance between Vin, and of Gally/Alita of the Battle Angel manga/anime series?  I know it's a long-shot that there may be some Battle Angel fans out there, but I just wanted to throw that out... (for pics check out http://www.battleangel.info)

Speaking of which, "Mistborn" would make an excellent manga - and video game - and movie - as well. Hopefully as Brandon's skill continues to become known in the literary world (as it should) we will see some of these someday.  :D

- Josh
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:43:19 AM by newimperium »

TMan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Lolchair
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #381 on: November 02, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »
3.  A compass would work, but remember that the Final Empire is set at the north pole of Scadrial, but not necessarily at the magnetic north pole.  These things are complicated, but just assume that it works the same way it would here on Earth.

Hold on there.

If say, Luthadel, is at the north pole (and not necessarily the magnetic one, so they're on top of the axis the planet is turning around) *and* there are seasons on said planet (meaning that the planets axis isn't completely perpendicular to the imaginary line from planet to sun), doesn't that mean that they'll have very long days in summer and very long nights in winter?

Having said that, this would allow for interesting options on how the people on the south pole did survive.

In fact, that's similar to the way things work around here on our little earth. However, a thing as days with 22 hours of sunlight in the summer but 2 hours of sunlight in the winter seems like something that would've been mentioned, so I'm probably wrong here. Thus, either a) there is an inconsistency in the Mistborn world, b) Brandon just never mentioned this in his books or c) the seasons are caused by something other than the non-perpendicularity mentioned above.

c) would be interesting. Maybe the planet goes around the sun in an egg-shape (would make winter longer than summer I guess)? Maybe the sun is hotter on one side?

P.S. I just used the word (?) non-perpendicularity. Please bow before me in awe.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
3.  A compass would work, but remember that the Final Empire is set at the north pole of Scadrial, but not necessarily at the magnetic north pole.  These things are complicated, but just assume that it works the same way it would here on Earth.

Hold on there.

If say, Luthadel, is at the north pole (and not necessarily the magnetic one, so they're on top of the axis the planet is turning around) *and* there are seasons on said planet (meaning that the planets axis isn't completely perpendicular to the imaginary line from planet to sun), doesn't that mean that they'll have very long days in summer and very long nights in winter?

Having said that, this would allow for interesting options on how the people on the south pole did survive.

In fact, that's similar to the way things work around here on our little earth. However, a thing as days with 22 hours of sunlight in the summer but 2 hours of sunlight in the winter seems like something that would've been mentioned, so I'm probably wrong here. Thus, either a) there is an inconsistency in the Mistborn world, b) Brandon just never mentioned this in his books or c) the seasons are caused by something other than the non-perpendicularity mentioned above.

c) would be interesting. Maybe the planet goes around the sun in an egg-shape (would make winter longer than summer I guess)? Maybe the sun is hotter on one side?

P.S. I just used the word (?) non-perpendicularity. Please bow before me in awe.

I have a feeling that Rashek spun the world or took care of this somehow to put Luthadel in a much safer position--so, after he changed the world, Luthadel, or the WoA, weren't magnetic north.

That's just my guess.

Sorry if this has already been answered Brandon, I'm still working on getting caught up with the forums, I've been busy, sick, and dealing with identity theft! :o

I would actually love to see this as well.  I think there have been a few sort-of explanations in other threads, but I'd love to see something a bit more detailed. 

And the fun begins!  ;D
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

laddr

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
Couldn't agree more with newimperium. And I cant wait for AMoL! I guess Warbreaker will have to hold me over till then :)

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »

And the fun begins!  ;D

Wasing the having of fun of the do?

At our book signing, we asked about Spook's dialect, and got a very basic lesson. The dialect was designed to confuse outsiders, and it does that through use of key words, along with a bunch of semi-meaningless words. I think most if not all of the key words end in -ing.

So, "Wasing the where," could be "Where are/were/will you (be),"  though it would probably be more like, "Wasing the where of having the had?" (Where did you have that? Or something close to that.)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:19:54 PM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 02, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »

And the fun begins!  ;D

Wasing the having of fun of the do?

At our book signing, we asked about Spook's dialect, and got a very basic lesson. The dialect was designed to confuse outsiders, and it does that through use of key words, along with a bunch of semi-meaningless words. I think most if not all of the key words end in -ing.

So, "Wasing the where," could be "Where are/were/will you (be),"  though it would probably be more like, "Wasing the where of having the had?" (Where did you have that? Or something close to that.)

Hope that helps.

Hmm.  Interesting.  I am trying to think of how to say something...but my head hurts now.  Owe.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 02, 2008, 08:43:57 PM »
Went to the signing yesterday (better turnout than I would've thought) and got to ask Brandon about Hoid. His response, sly grin and all, was "Hoid? Hoid who?".

I think writing the 12th WoT book has rubbed a bit of RJs RAFO-habit off onto Brandon.

Have we figured out for sure what Nicrosil and Chromium do? All the theories I've read seem fairly flat... I just don't see that strong of a parallelism working between the Aluminum/Duralumin and Chromium/Nicrosil pairing.

Q: Are you ever planning to write a book with a Shard as a main character? Or one that goes into depth about them?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »
Have we figured out for sure what Nicrosil and Chromium do? All the theories I've read seem fairly flat... I just don't see that strong of a parallelism working between the Aluminum/Duralumin and Chromium/Nicrosil pairing.
Yes, one of them will allow you to burn away all of someone else's metals while the other allows you to make someone else have a similar effect to burning Duralumin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »
I was working on my Metals table last night and I was wondering what are the exact percentages for each Allomantic Alloy.   We know Allomancer's Pewter is 91% Tin and 9% Lead so I was wondering what the others were.

Chromium's (the "15th metal") alloy (according to BS), Nicrosil (the 16th)
Nicrosil:  14.4% Chromium, 1.4% Silicon, 0.1% Magnesium, and the balance of that is Nickel.

But isn't there some variation in that? I mean, if it was actually .5% magnesium and only 13.9% Chromium it would still be Nicrosil, right?

Not sure on that one...but wiki and the technical documents which I could find listed that kind of distribution.

TMan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Lolchair
« Reply #389 on: November 03, 2008, 08:24:04 AM »

Hold on there.

I have a feeling that Rashek spun the world or took care of this somehow to put Luthadel in a much safer position--so, after he changed the world, Luthadel, or the WoA, weren't magnetic north.

That's just my guess.

You didn't get it :P It's not about being magnetic north, it's about being op top of the planet. This top is generally named "north pole".