Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335753 times)

Rand213

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
It is possible that a mistborn could referee, burning atium just enough to be able to tell if any spectators/players are in danger and then moving the ball.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Well, if you have it in a marked court, like Hocky (with the big glass things around the arena to keep the ball from going into the audience) the there wouldn't be a problem.  I was actually thinking this would be something for the future series.  I just can't see those papered noblemen playing a sport, and they wouldn't be able to have their servants do it.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Xandeis

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Hey guys, can anyone remember in which book Brandon described Vin's appearance...hair and eye color?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Eye color -- never said
Hair -- in the first book it's a deep brown, the second has it flat out black.
Height -- just over five feet
Skinny, but not malnurished (unless you're going the beginning of book one)
Walks with a grace, but slinks like a preditor.

I hope that helps.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Since the second series is supposed to take place in a modern-day-type setting, after the rebuilding of situation, that's when things like pro sports would be a factor in the world. We can expect that anything our modern world has developed will have some sort of analogue on Scadrial, unless it's something that the presense of allomancers would have reduced the need for.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
1.  Did Kelsier have a tiny bit of metal in him that allowed Ruin to slightly influence him, because a lot of things he did helped out ruin ,like trying to kill the lord ruler, and he had an obsession with killing nobles, etc

I interpreted things differently...

Kelsier's dream of overthrowing TLR came from his wife.  It was not originally his dream.  The books never spoke about Kelsier hearing voices and Ruin was obsessed with finding Atium (his body) which showed up in Vin's burning desire to find it no matter what the cost.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Ahh, but Sazed did say in his blurbs that Kelsier came up with this legend of the eleventh metal out of nowhere.   Nobody else had ever heard it nor was there any books about it.   It was suspected that Kelsier was being influenced somehow.   That of course is going off memory so the details could be off a bit but it should be pretty close to what was said.   Sazed also said that it was surprising the number of people that were spiked, Vin of course being the obvious surprise.   But it was never said if Kelsier had gotten some sort of spike.   I suspect that Kelsier lost his mind in the mines and a voice came and helped him out.   Afterall, they did say that Kelsier was a different man after the mines.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:57 PM »
Ahh, but Sazed did say in his blurbs that Kelsier came up with this legend of the eleventh metal out of nowhere.   Nobody else had ever heard it nor was there any books about it.   It was suspected that Kelsier was being influenced somehow.   That of course is going off memory so the details could be off a bit but it should be pretty close to what was said.   Sazed also said that it was surprising the number of people that were spiked, Vin of course being the obvious surprise.   But it was never said if Kelsier had gotten some sort of spike.   I suspect that Kelsier lost his mind in the mines and a voice came and helped him out.   Afterall, they did say that Kelsier was a different man after the mines.

Isn't it possible that Ruin influenced someone else who told him the legend?
Nature hates being reified.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Well, TLR knew about the 11th metal, as did any of his inquistors who went down into the area that talked about it (while changing supplies).  Who's to say that one of them didn't meantion this "other metal" around a skaa (Maybe one that was brainwashed to think that the skaa were mindless animals as El kind of did in FE).  That skaa, learning of it decided that it was something powerful, and told their friends.  Then you have a telephone situation where as it gets passed around it grows, and suddenly when Kel finds out it's the way to defeate TLR.

The reason that Sazed wasn't able to find any evidance when he went looking was by that point the skaa were scattered here there and everywhere, and a lot of those who stayed where they had been were being effected by the mists.  Who knows, maybe it was that town from WoA where everyone hid in their houses until they died (the only with the creepy, crazy canabal guy).

san66

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Hi Brandon,

After discovering that you were completing the Wheel of Time I picked up Elantris and the Mistborn series for a read through and loved them. I'm happy that you have been chosen to finish Jordan's (RIP) work. I love fantasy worlds that have a defined order to the world and the magic within them. Both you and Jordan are great at this and I think you're a good fit to complete the series.

I have some questions about the Kandra that have been bugging me since completing my read through of the series and more so after reading through this thread and learning more about what happens to the world after the events in Mistborn.

When TenSoon kills OreSeur he uses OreSeur's spikes to give himself the Blessing of Potency. It was revealed that the hemalurgic spikes that give the Kandra consciousness could be placed in mistwraith again to give the Kandra the same consciousness they once possessed (if a little fuzzy).

1) Shouldn't TenSoon taking OreSeur's spikes have given him some kind of split personality?
2) If not, would TenSoon have assimilated some of OreSeur's personality (Maybe making him more sympathetic to Vin)?
3) Perhaps TenSoon simple suppressed OreSeur since he had the Blessing of Presence and more mental fortitude?
4) Wouldn't TenSoon know all the knowledge OreSeur knew after ingesting him if he had access to his consciousness and wouldn't have any need to have tortured him?
5) Or did TenSoon truly kill OreSeur and there is some way to truly kill a Kandra beyond removing their Hemalurgic spikes?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:04:19 AM by san66 »

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
I'm fairly sure personality, memory, etc. stay with the mistwraith, not the spikes.  Any hemalurgically appropriate set of spikes will do to restore a mistwraith to Kandrahood, and the resulting Kandra will be the same one that the mistwraith had been, not the one the spikes came from.  That should answer your first four question, though I'll note for #2 that assimilating OreSeur would probably have made him actually less sympathetic to Vin - she'd been treating him rather badly.

For the fifth, we know dissolving a Kandra in acid will truly kill him.  There may be other ways, and it's not clear how much acid is required.  Hmm, now that I think about it, there may have been mention of a mistwraith inside the city shortly after the replacement, but my memory on that is rather unclear and I don't have WoA on hand to check.  If my memory is correct on that, then OreSeur may actually still be alive somewhere out there, but by the time anyone other than TenSoon found out it was impossible to determine which mistwraith would be the right one to restore.

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »
Presumably Kandra know a few ways to kill kandra, the most efficient being acid (which presumably, if they eat another Kandra, their stomach acid (or Kandra equivilent to stomachs) would be enough to kill them, though you'd have to knock them out long enough to eat them alive... euch...

Starvation will also kill a kandra, hence why TenSoon was fed regularly when he was in the pit...

san66

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I'm fairly sure personality, memory, etc. stay with the mistwraith, not the spikes.  Any hemalurgically appropriate set of spikes will do to restore a mistwraith to Kandrahood, and the resulting Kandra will be the same one that the mistwraith had been, not the one the spikes came from.  That should answer your first four question, though I'll note for #2 that assimilating OreSeur would probably have made him actually less sympathetic to Vin - she'd been treating him rather badly.

For the fifth, we know dissolving a Kandra in acid will truly kill him.  There may be other ways, and it's not clear how much acid is required.  Hmm, now that I think about it, there may have been mention of a mistwraith inside the city shortly after the replacement, but my memory on that is rather unclear and I don't have WoA on hand to check.  If my memory is correct on that, then OreSeur may actually still be alive somewhere out there, but by the time anyone other than TenSoon found out it was impossible to determine which mistwraith would be the right one to restore.

I suppose you're probably right, but I would think that the thing that initially gave them consciousness would retain a measure of that consciousness, if only a sliver. The consciousness thing is a little fuzzy on how it works. For #2 I probably should have said loyalty, not sympathy, as in OreSeur was loyal to Vin via contract and that would have carried over. The consciousness thing does bring up an interesting question though, if the Mistwraith are what once were Feruchemists, when they are given consciousness, is that the same consciousness that they once had when they were human, or a new consciousness? Would they be able to remember, no matter how vague, who they were before?

For the acid thing, its my understanding that normally they would be dissolved with acid with hemalurgic spikes intact, which would also dissolve the spikes.

Arionhawk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
The consciousness thing does bring up an interesting question though, if the Mistwraith are what once were Feruchemists, when they are given consciousness, is that the same consciousness that they once had when they were human, or a new consciousness? Would they be able to remember, no matter how vague, who they were before?

Only the First generation were the original Feruchemists, who have their memory, mistwraiths breed true, so all Kandra other than the 1st Generation are mistwraiths that have been "awakened" with the hemalurgic spikes, hence the need to raise them since they would have no memory of ever having been human like the first generation.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:25:09 PM by Arionhawk »

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
  • there's always another secret
    • View Profile
Hey guys, can anyone remember in which book Brandon described Vin's appearance...hair and eye color?

that would be in the firts book. and even through the third he did. " raven colored hair" or somethign like that... basically really black but i cannot remember her eye color
there's always another secret
Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1