Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 355932 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
I swear it says that she did pick up the earring and put it back in her ear before she went out.  Can someone check that?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

douglas

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2008, 09:21:51 PM »
Okay, but if Terr could foresee everything that would happen. doesn't that mean he knew that the world would undergo a thousand years of struggle and nearly crumble and end just to return to the way it was when created? Did he really not like Ruin that much? Or is there a something bigger in play? How far did he see? Did he realize that the world would need the powers of them both combined and knew that Ruin wouldn't provide his half. What is going to happen that would make it necessary for their to be a single god?
Once mankind was created, Preservation was weaker than Ruin.  Ruin wanted to completely destroy the world eventually, and Preservation would, in normal circumstance, be unable to stop him.  Preservation's desperate plan and great sacrifice were done not out of hate for Ruin, but to save the world.  However close the world may have come to ending and however unlikely the final victory might have been, it was better than the absolute certainty that Ruin would destroy everything if Preservation did not enact his desperate plan.

Roader

• Level 1
    • View Profile
I swear it says that she did pick up the earring and put it back in her ear before she went out.  Can someone check that?

No, It says that later when she & Elend return to the city that she had found the erring and had to get it straightened by a jeweler so that she could use it again.      It had gotten really mangled up on the trip through Marshes brain.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

No, It says that later when she & Elend return to the city that she had found the erring and had to get it straightened by a jeweler so that she could use it again.      It had gotten really mangled up on the trip through Marshes brain.

i thought it said that Yoman handed it to her...
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
Hrmm, perhapse it was because she was inside and it was daylight when she had it out? That's my best guess.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2008, 10:14:38 PM »
A quick question I just remembered. This was probably explained in the book but I'll say them anyway...

1. Why was Vin slightly more powerful than other mistborn? Even Kelsier comments on the disparity between strength and weight.

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Vetta

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2008, 10:15:49 PM »
Hrmm, perhapse it was because she was inside and it was daylight when she had it out? That's my best guess.

I don't think so.     She had to draw on the mist to fight Marsh off after he healed from the erring.     She hit him with a mist based soothing that made him run away.       So the mist was out at the time.   Then she went directly out to help the army - she did not waste any time looking for the erring - at least it did not mention it in her POV and it would not have made any sense.    "Sorry guys - I know you are getting killed by Koloss but I simply MUST find my erring first!"
I Mist You

Arionhawk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »
A quick question I just remembered. This was probably explained in the book but I'll say them anyway...

1. Why was Vin slightly more powerful than other mistborn? Even Kelsier comments on the disparity between strength and weight.

It was because her father was an exceptionally purebred noble, it's explained at the end of FE by some of the inquisitors when they oust her father in front of the Lord Ruler.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »

I don't think so.     She had to draw on the mist to fight Marsh off after he healed from the erring.     She hit him with a mist based soothing that made him run away.       So the mist was out at the time.   Then she went directly out to help the army - she did not waste any time looking for the erring - at least it did not mention it in her POV and it would not have made any sense.    "Sorry guys - I know you are getting killed by Koloss but I simply MUST find my erring first!"

I think it's because Kelsier already had the power. He kind of gives it to her when she's about to die later, but he's already seized control of it when Vin does that. And if Preservation could see into  the future, it's possible Kelsier could. At least enough to see that she needs to take out all those inquisitors.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »

It was because her father was an exceptionally purebred noble, it's explained at the end of FE by some of the inquisitors when they oust her father in front of the Lord Ruler.

Oh thats right, I feel like an idiot. Now that I remember I think we on the boards discussed that too a while back.... :-\
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Roader

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »

I don't think so.     She had to draw on the mist to fight Marsh off after he healed from the erring.     She hit him with a mist based soothing that made him run away.       So the mist was out at the time.   Then she went directly out to help the army - she did not waste any time looking for the erring - at least it did not mention it in her POV and it would not have made any sense.    "Sorry guys - I know you are getting killed by Koloss but I simply MUST find my erring first!"

I think it's because Kelsier already had the power. He kind of gives it to her when she's about to die later, but he's already seized control of it when Vin does that. And if Preservation could see into  the future, it's possible Kelsier could. At least enough to see that she needs to take out all those inquisitors.

That does not make sense to me.        If he gives it to her - it should have done the massive swirl thing and all the mists should have gone into her like when she fought the 13 Inquisitors.      Preservation was already dead and  she was "available" since she did not have the erring and she was in the mists fighting the Kloss.

Arionhawk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »

That does not make sense to me.        If he gives it to her - it should have done the massive swirl thing and all the mists should have gone into her like when she fought the 13 Inquisitors.      Preservation was already dead and  she was "available" since she did not have the erring and she was in the mists fighting the Koloss.

I think that it was more that she had to actually pull the power in, not that it would just magically flow into her without the earring in she had to be actively pulling on the power.  So when she was fighting the inquisitors she constantly needed the power, over a long period of time & so had to keep drawing it in until her body could no longer handle the power & was transformed.  The earring prevented it other times, or at least that's the way it came off to me.

Roader

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2008, 11:30:55 PM »
I think that it was more that she had to actually pull the power in, not that it would just magically flow into her without the earring in she had to be actively pulling on the power.  So when she was fighting the inquisitors she constantly needed the power, over a long period of time & so had to keep drawing it in until her body could no longer handle the power & was transformed.  The earring prevented it other times, or at least that's the way it came off to me.

That is what I am saying.      She did actively "Draw" the mists in so she could do the Marsh Mind blast.

Arionhawk

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2008, 11:37:51 PM »

That is what I am saying.      She did actively "Draw" the mists in so she could do the Marsh Mind blast.

Right but afterward she didn't have anything to keep her drawing on the power because Marsh was gone.  You got to realize that she didn't know exactly what she was doing, and I think she only got to the power because she was desperate.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
I think it's been confirmed here that atium and malatium violating the rule about which of each base/alloy pair is pushing and which is pulling is a hint that atium doesn't really belong in the list of allomantic metals.  However, zinc and brass also violate the rule.  For every known metal other than zinc, brass, atium, and malatium, the base metal is the pulling metal and the alloy is the pushing metal.  Zinc is a base metal and is the external mental pushing metal, however, and its alloy brass is the pulling metal of the pair.  Is this a mistake?