Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335609 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Interesting. I never would have figured that one out myself. It reminds me a lot how similar "B" syllables and "P" syllabaries are in Japanese.

(Inside the circles for pushing, outside the circles for pushing.)

They both push, Czanos? Lol... You might want to edit that one...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
The alphabet system might be based on Korean (Hangul), since Brandon knows Korean and that's the way Hangul works.

Also, Shavian is a possibility, if Brandon knows about Shavian. (The phonetic for English that was designed in response to a prize offered by George Bernard Shaw.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Xandeis

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Brandon knows Korean? Hmm, just one more thing that makes me respect the man!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Whoops. Thanks Chaos.

And it was mostly Issac who set up the language, as Brandon didn't even know about the phonetic pairings and such until the signing when we asked them these questions.

But Hangul sounds familiar, so meh . . . I know it is based off of a real-world language, but I can't remember which. Are there any languages  similar to those that have 23 characters?
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Hangul is the name of the Korean alphabet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

jwmeep

• Level 1
    • View Profile
For those interested, the page numbers where Kelsier communicates with Spook (I think, I could be wrong):

Pg. 407 - "You want to be like Kelsier? Really like Kelsier? Then fight when you are beaten!"

Pg. 408 - "I named you, Spook. You were my friend. Isn't that enough?"

Pg. 445- "And that's why you absolutely must get that message sent, Spook. The pieces of this thing are all spinning about, cast to the wind. You have a clue that nobody else does. Send it flying for me."

lexluthorxiv

• Level 1
    • View Profile
So I have a couple of questions....

I loved the book, it was all great UNTIL Vin and especially ELEND died. I can see why you did it, but I was crying so hard when Vin confirmed Elend was dead. I actually had an urge to burn the books right then and there and pretend it had never happened. Either way, I continued reading and then found some sliver of hope when Sazed said he hadn't figured out how to restore the souls YET, he said he would get better at it.

1)Does that mean that he might someday, maybe, hopefully (pretty please) bring them back to life? I suspect that you might not answer, but can I atleast hope? Cause if anyone deserved to live a full NORMAL life it was Vin and Elend. Besides, it would ROCK if Elend and Kelsier ever got to meet each other......

Awe man.....i'm still crying over Elend....Is it wrong I get so attatched to characters? Its just that Elend and Vin got so little time together. It's so sad. Which reminds me: You mentioned, when someone asked about sazed meeting twindyl again, that he hadn't because he hadn't reached that space where souls were and the ones that were trapped in the in between were the ones that had a connection with either the physical or the concious world. Those weren't the exact words but it was something like that that IMPLIED that Vin, Elend and Kel were somehow still connected with the earth because unlike twindyl the hadn't progressed past that in between place.

2) Am I right and maybe going somewhere, or am I talking total nonsense and simply trying to cope with the loss of Elend?

One of the reasons for that line at the end is to give you, the reader, the power and authority to bring to the characters the ending you wish.  I may do more in this series, but until then, please take the future of the characters wherever you want in your own mind.  (Also, you mention that they had such little time together--which is true, but also remember that there was a year between books one and two, then another year between books two and three.  They spent most of this time together.)

The door is open for a return of Elend and Vin.  Will I write it?  It isn't likely to be soon, if I ever even do.  Does that mean it won't happen?  No.  Not at all.  If I write more Mistborn books, they will be hundreds of years in the future.  During that time, Sazed could have learned to get souls into bodies, given Vin and Elend a life together somewhere away from the others, where they wouldn't have to struggle quite so much like they did through their lives, then ushered their souls on to the beyond.  Or they could hang around with him, working with him as he takes his next steps to shepherd humankind on Scadrial.  Or neither of the above.  Imagine it how you wish, for I'm not going to set this one in stone for quite some time, if ever.  

Ok thanx, that makes me feel better. I guess I'm finally over the shock of it all anyway, I have another question.

when Vin was about to pull Marsh's last spike, why didn't she? I mean I know she kinda dissapeared and turned into mist, but was that on purpose or did Ruin somehow make her mesh into the mist quicker so that she couldn't kill marsh?

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2008, 03:31:51 AM »
I got the impression she would have had enough time, but she hesitated because he reminded her of Kelsier.

hamateur

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2008, 04:38:50 AM »
Hi all.  I thoroughly enjoyed HoA - and the whole series.  Being a new poster here, I can't prove to you what I predicted and what I failed to predict, so the strutting and blushing will just have to happen in the privacy of my own head.  Anyway, here are some particular comments/questions/strawmen.

1. Anomaly among the temporal metals.  OK, I've seen the comment that two metals are diagonally opposite when they ought to have been adjacent, but I also find it odd that gold is described as letting you see into your own past.  When Vin burned it in FE, she saw alternative versions of what she might be now or in the future.  If that's looking into the past (like seeing one image of the Lord Ruler in his packman days), then it's somehow done a U-turn and worked its way forward in time again.

2. Useless silver.  Did we ever hear of someone trying to burn silver?  Did it cause a 'bad metal headache'?  If not, perhaps it simply lets you see your own past, which you don't notice because you remember it anyway.

3. Aluminium mistings.  Yes, that would be almost pointless.  But if the link between ingested aluminium and Alzheimer's disease holds, at least you could protect yourself by burning it away as it arrives in trace quantities in your food.

4. Chromium mistings.  What would they be called (as in Lurcher, Rioter, etc)?  I'm guessing it'd be unprintable.  "Heeey, some [unprintable] just depleted my metals!"

5. Voices in heads.  Since POV characters think to themselves in italics already, I assumed that that was what Spook was doing at the times when Kelsier spoke to him, and that the one about sharing the possibly-vital unique piece of the puzzle was an extraordinary burst of intuition.  Good smokescreen, and/or silly me.  ;-)

6. Zane's creepy fetish.  I hope this is OK to mention here, since it is in WoA.  Now that we know more about spiking, it seems like he wanted Ruin somehow to 'participate' with the herbalist (whose name I forget) and with Vin.  Eww.

7. Movie/TV adaptation.  I kept pausing while reading, to wonder about that too.  It'd probably feel grimmer, because the red sun and bedraggled plants and ash would be in our faces a lot of the time.  No relieving spells of getting distracted by the dialogue and plot.  The ending could be a bit reminiscent of the original release of Blade Runner, what with its sudden wholesome and happy appearance.  I can certainly imagine the promotional posters... A scarred forearm and hand, perhaps holding a coin, with the caption "I am hope"... that sort of thing.

8. Mormonism.  I probably wouldn't recognise a distinctive LDS doctrine if it bit me, but it was interesting that the ending had such a strong "The meek shall inherit the earth" theme - a generic Christian thing.  See who's left.  Spook minus his spike, Beldre, Breeze, Allrianne, and Ham who recently came out with a rare piece of unequivocal advice against storming Fadrex City.  All watched over by Sazed.  OK, Marsh is more arguable, but his POV chapters do have a bit of a running-away-from-things theme.

9. Who wrote the epigraphs.  Once it turned out to be from the current era, I also thought of the scholarly characters: Sazed, or Elend reverting to his pre-Tindwyl ways.  The "I am, unfortunately, ..." wording in a Sazed POV chapter made him seem too obvious, so I started casting around for another twist, and ended up thinking it was Sazed as a ghost-writer for Vin (who doesn't much like reading and writing).  Whoops.  Overreached on that one.

10. Symmetry.  Since there's so much overt symmetry, I went looking for more.  Consider a love triangle, where the happy couple both die as self-sacrificing martrys, and the third wheel ends up still alive and very powerful.  That could describe Elend-Vin-Spook, or Kelsier-Mare-Marsh.  Or I could be overreaching again.

11. Trust.  Great choice of title for the final part!  One of my favourite things from FE and WoA was how Vin gradually overcame her abandonment issues.  For instance, I was going "YES!" on the inside when she chose to turn to Elend first after her fight with Zane -- throwing aside the I-can't-let-him-see-me-like-this anxiety.  And then, in HoA, the abandonment issues turn out to be part of the plot, not 'just' free-standing character development.  Again, "YES!"  And so much of the final denial of Ruin depended on people doing what they could and trusting that it would make a difference.

12.  Martyrdom of Vin and Elend.  I have no problem with it.  They'd been prepared on previous occasions to lay down their own lives (and each other's!), but happened to get away with it.  A story would be too bright and cheesy if everyone who took heroic risks always survived.  And in this case, they were already both thoroughly on board with the whole trust thing.
Hemalurgy - don't try it at home

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Hello.

Read through your entire post, agreed with most of it, enjoyed the other perspectives and whatnot.

Then I got to your signature and fell into bits of laughter.

Thanks for making my day. (And I promise I'll try to get more adequate sleep in the future.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Xandeis

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Pg. 407 - "You want to be like Kelsier? Really like Kelsier? Then fight when you are beaten!"

Not too sure about that one, but I think you're right on the other ones.The reason I think this may seem naive, but, in the other 2, the speaker addresses Spook by name, which the quote from 407 doesn't have. I also could be wrong, though.  

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Hello.

Read through your entire post, agreed with most of it, enjoyed the other perspectives and whatnot.

Then I got to your signature and fell into bits of laughter.

Thanks for making my day. (And I promise I'll try to get more adequate sleep in the future.)

I am just noticing it now it is hilarious!

Man, doing calculus after reading that is tough...

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2008, 05:34:39 AM »
Nonsense, calculus is never tough. You just have to find the second antiderivative of a non-polynomic equation, how hard could it be?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Nah, just some applications of integration. Arc length, you know. It's not hard, just tedious. When you laugh this hard, you can miss a negative sign pretty easily.

Xandeis

• Level 2
    • View Profile
4. Chromium mistings.  What would they be called (as in Lurcher, Rioter, etc)?  I'm guessing it'd be unprintable.  "Heeey, some [unprintable] just depleted my metals!"
expletive as in "[Expletive], some [expletive] just depleted my [expletive] metals!"

10. Symmetry.  Since there's so much overt symmetry, I went looking for more.  Consider a love triangle, where the happy couple both die as self-sacrificing martrys, and the third wheel ends up still alive and very powerful.  That could describe Elend-Vin-Spook, or Kelsier-Mare-Marsh.  Or I could be overreaching again.
didn't Vin turn Spook down though? I thought if anyone would have come between Vin and Elend, it would be the memory of Kelsier....sometimes I could swear Vin had a crush on him.

Nonsense, calculus is never tough. You just have to find the second antiderivative of a non-polynomic equation, how hard could it be?
Posted on: Today at 09:31:10 PMPosted by: Chaos2651 
I have to take Business Calc next semester... I could really use Atium!