Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 362660 times)

Leon

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #495 on: November 19, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
i belive that the shards have to be represented as bodies of water, thats what the first "hero of ages" saw on his way up north to terris (i totaly blanked on his name), its what filled the well of assention, and was outside of elantris.

if we take that the pools of water are the physical manifistation of shards, i think we might be able to extrapolate that the source of the pits is infact a pool of water, but due to the nature of the pits, it goes through a geological process that turns it into the geods and atium. (i think of it as the water is leaching through the rocks and when it finds a pocket it creats a geod the same way a clam would make a pearl).

This could also tie into the flowers that make such vivid colors in warbreaker. the plants feed off the shard lake and are able to create such wonderful dies.

lastly, as far as Elantris goes, it seems to me that the Dakhor dont use Aeons, Raodin describes the bones as having intricate patterns, not recognizable Aeons (and i think that he could recognize them having become an expert in a few short weeks).

I still think Jaddeth is a shard, but there isnt much proof. however i can imagine a senario as such:
Everything on (insert planet name here) is going along just fine, then Adonalsium gets broken up into his shards and they pierce through time and space and these shards endup on diffrent planets. Poor (insert planet name here) gets hit with two shards. This causes a rift in theological doctrine those that follow Shu-Korath go with the shard in elantris and shu-dereth goes with the shard that i believe is under a mountain somewhere.

also, i think it would make sense for the shards to travel in "pairs" either because they are spiritualy bound to eachother as oposit forces or because as they go from wherever Adonalsium is into our real, the shards fracture again into two parts.

so all this is very detailed and as i have seen from other fandoms, the more detailed the theory the more likely it is to be WAY off.

please destroy it apropriatly :)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #496 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

I would be badly disappointed if all the shards came in pairs like in Mistborn.  Having dueling gods was interesting but it would get old very quickly.  It seems to me that Ruin and Preservation hung out together simply because they had to work together to create, but if there are other shards that don't need the duality to create then we have no particular reason to pair them off.

However I am not at all certain what to make of Domi, Jaddeth and the Dor.  Personally, I thought it very interesting that the thing that caused the Reod was an earthquake, given where Jaddeth is supposed to live.  But that's just speculation.  It is possible, for instance, that the Dor is a fundamental power used to create the world which is somehow a compromise between two of the shards, but it could also just be the power of one.

However I would be very hesitant to decide that there was no truth at all in any of the religions in Elantris.  How they fit together is not clear, but it seems likely that something is there.  After all, in Mistborn even the Church of the Survivor wasn't completely wrong.
Nature hates being reified.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #497 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »
Hey, has anybody else noticed that the paperback of Hero of Ages is already up for pre-order on Borders.com? I just randomly noticed that today. There's no way to zoom in on the cover though, which is a bummer because it's got Elend in his fabulous white uniform next to a thoughtful-looking Vin: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0765356147
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #498 on: November 21, 2008, 01:00:47 AM »
Oh, it looks cool. I wish I could see it up close. Totally fits in with the other two paperbacks.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »
Looks like I'm going to be forced to buy it. I mean I planned on it anyway seeing how hardcovers don't really fit well in my book shelves and they don't look right when your collection is mainly paperbacks. doesn't mean I wont hang on to the hard cover it just means I will have two copies of the book.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 21, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »
Here's a bigger cover picture:

http://www.thescifibookstore.com/fantasy_16209_0765356147_The-Hero-of-Ages-Book-Three-of-Mistborn.html

Ruggedly handsome? (I can't tell. I'm a guy.)

I like the black/white contrast, though it might have been more impressive with Vin in her black ball gown.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:29:34 PM by Mok Apple Pie »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #501 on: November 21, 2008, 08:08:57 PM »
Man, I love all of the covers for the paperbacks. I think this HoA one is the best of the three, because of the white/black contrast as well as the destruction in the background. It's impressive. Not as dynamic as the hardcover for HoA, but still impressive.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 21, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
I don't think he's very handsome.  Honestly, he kind of reminds me of Adam Sandler in Don't Mess with the Zohan or whatever that movie was.  Still, I do like the way they showed his uniform.  It's almost exactly like I imagined.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #503 on: November 21, 2008, 10:53:18 PM »
I don't think he's very handsome.  Honestly, he kind of reminds me of Adam Sandler in Don't Mess with the Zohan or whatever that movie was.  Still, I do like the way they showed his uniform.  It's almost exactly like I imagined.

I agree... he's not looking that handsome. Not at all how I pictured him. The uniform is nice though. *shrug*
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 21, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
That's about how I imagined him, though, I thought there was a bit more of a difference in their height.  I always imagined Vin a good foot shorter then Elend.

I'll be buying a copy for sure.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 22, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »
Is Elend's hair color right? Yeah, he's definitely supposed to be quite a bit taller than Vin.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 22, 2008, 04:59:18 AM »

http://www.thescifibookstore.com/fantasy_16209_0765356147_The-Hero-of-Ages-Book-Three-of-Mistborn.html

I like the black/white contrast, though it might have been more impressive with Vin in her black ball gown.

Yeah, I think the ball scene with the color contrast would have been more impressive.

I'm wondering what Brandon meant by that scene.  With preservation=white and ruin=black, and with the two powers only being whole when they work together, I imagine you could go in some fairly creative directions trying to interpret it.  Some of them might actually be coherent, although I've read enough literary criticism to not trust it.  It just seems too obvious to say that Vin destroyed the old Empire and Elend salvaged something out of them to create a better world, thus providing an extended analogy for the whole series...

But I really don't trust a lot of literary criticism.  I think I'll stop here.
Nature hates being reified.

trytoguess

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2008, 05:23:05 AM »
I'm wondering what Brandon meant by that scene.
I figured it was more of a commentary on their respective roles. Elend is a very visible figurehead, Vin is the shadowy assassin.

trytoguess

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »
Oddly, now I'm thinking it's a pity they didn't harvest Lord Rulers sperm before offing him. But that would make Mistborn a rather different book.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »

Yeah, I think the ball scene with the color contrast would have been more impressive.

I'm wondering what Brandon meant by that scene.  With preservation=white and ruin=black, and with the two powers only being whole when they work together, I imagine you could go in some fairly creative directions trying to interpret it.  Some of them might actually be coherent, although I've read enough literary criticism to not trust it.  It just seems too obvious to say that Vin destroyed the old Empire and Elend salvaged something out of them to create a better world, thus providing an extended analogy for the whole series...

But I really don't trust a lot of literary criticism.  I think I'll stop here.

Antithesis is fun.  ;D 

By the way, I like the cover a lot.  The difference in height just popped out the second I saw it. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain