Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 362837 times)

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #480 on: November 17, 2008, 06:47:24 PM »
So, since there was at least a year between WoA and HoA, and Vin and El were married.  Were there any bundles of joy for them??
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
That would have been mentioned in the book, surely.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
I would have to agree with the others that all the shards have physical representations in the world.  I also suspect that they are not all metallic.  That seems to be a mistborn thing.

For instance, it would not be at all surprising to discover that some of the colors (perhaps the dies?) in Warbreaker are an aspect of Austre.

Incidentally, I would like to claim precedence for suggesting 16 shards, although it really isn't a huge leap.
Nature hates being reified.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »
Perhaps the flowers that make the dies.  I forget their name (Tears of...?).  But I do think they are important, they reminded me of atium.  Both only occur in one place (The tears in hallendren, atium in the pits), both are crucial major resourses, and have great economic value.  They seem really similar.
So, Ruin and Preservation, Jaddeth and Domi, and Austre and the Shard in the Tears perhaps?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »
Well, if Austre (Austere? Haven't read warbraker) is a Shard, it's opposition could be Vivid or something like that.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2008, 11:05:05 PM »
It's also quite possible we haven't met Austre's opposition, assuming Austre IS a Shard. Since Austre is the God of Idris, maybe it's opposition is the God of Kuth and Huth--since that's where Vasher's headed at the end. Or I could be completely wrong.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »
Perhaps the flowers that make the dies. I forget their name (Tears of...?). But I do think they are important, they reminded me of atium. Both only occur in one place (The tears in hallendren, atium in the pits), both are crucial major resourses, and have great economic value. They seem really similar.
I think you are on to something. Brandon said something earlier in the thread to which I replied mentioning the pool outside of Elantris—this could fit just as well.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 18, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »
Ok so I can finally read this thread.

I know I have been a bad fan and have only just now finished HoA. Even though I have owned it since the days of its release. give me some time to read the 33 pages of this thread and countless other pages of *spoiler* threads before I can catch up.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 18, 2008, 08:44:13 PM »
Ok so I can finally read this thread.

I know I have been a bad fan and have only just now finished HoA. Even though I have owned it since the days of its release. give me some time to read the 33 pages of this thread and countless other pages of *spoiler* threads before I can catch up.
You're not a bad fan for taking a long time to read a book.  You just take longer than some of us who have no life and can just sit and read through. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 19, 2008, 01:44:14 AM »
Does a shard have to have an opposing shard? It is most likely the answer is yes, but there is always the possibility... maybe there can be more than 2 shards in opposition to each other at a time...
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 19, 2008, 02:00:22 AM »
I don't think we can necessarily generalize from the two shards we've seen and assume that the shards always come in opposed pairs.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 19, 2008, 03:06:55 AM »
Yeah I kinda doubt that "Jaddeth" is a shard, otherwise why would the Dakhor monks use the Dor? Also isn't Jaddeth just a different name for the god that Sarene and Raoden believe in?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:59 AM »
Yeah I kinda doubt that "Jaddeth" is a shard, otherwise why would the Dakhor monks use the Dor? Also isn't Jaddeth just a different name for the god that Sarene and Raoden believe in?

That was never really said - actually, something was even said that CONTRADICTS that.

While the religions originally split from a mother faith, worship of Jaddeth took over the seat of main deity in one branch at some unspecified point in time.  Jaddeth was an older deity from an older but less powerful "pagan" religion - when they looked back at the really old "heretical" original of the great holy work about Wyrn, Jaddeth was a really minor deity of earth or underground.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »
I don't think we can necessarily generalize from the two shards we've seen and assume that the shards always come in opposed pairs.
If we are to believe that the number 16 is a divine number, then we can also at least speculate Shard science based on the examples of 16 we have seen thus far(If we are assuming there are 16 Shards that is).    With the Metals, there are 16 of them, each has an opposing metal, and they are grouped in fours by attribute.   I don't think its a long shot to say this is a very plausible explanation for Shards as well.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 19, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »
Except that Brandon says the pairing and grouping by fours aren't necessarily based on anything real but may only be how the allomancers have imperfectly classified things.