Author Topic: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours  (Read 114856 times)

ryos

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours
« Reply #750 on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:05 AM »
You probably have a virus that makes your computer part of a botnet. They very well may have your password, since many viruses log your keystrokes in order to collect passwords. Once they have your password and your computer as a member of their zombie botnet, they can use it to send spam from your email address (and others as well). These messages would never show up in your sent mails because they aren't using your client to send them - the virus sends them directly.

Change your password, disinfect your computer, and it should stop.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #751 on: March 19, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
But change the order of those steps. Disinfect, then change the password. :P
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #752 on: March 19, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
Yeah, Ryos likely hit the nail on the head. I say that with like 90% certainty, as thats typical of the symptoms your report.

As an aside to Ryos' instructions, im going to add in to fully patch up your OS and virus scanner, and do a complete system scan.

Out of curiousity, what virus scanner are you currently using?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #753 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
Thanks, guys. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

As for my virus scanner, it's Kaspersky. About a week ago, though, it wasn't working (kept saying the blacklist was corrupted) and that's actually around the time when this thing with my e-mail started. I haven't run a full scan with it since it went down. I'm doing so now, and it should catch anything that's there. If not, I guess I'll just have to have my dad clean my computer....again.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #754 on: March 19, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
Thanks, guys. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

As for my virus scanner, it's Kaspersky. About a week ago, though, it wasn't working (kept saying the blacklist was corrupted) and that's actually around the time when this thing with my e-mail started. I haven't run a full scan with it since it went down. I'm doing so now, and it should catch anything that's there. If not, I guess I'll just have to have my dad clean my computer....again.

If you're having problems or generally unhappy with Kaspersky, i recommend using either Avira's AntiVir (not to be confused with "Extra AntiVir" which is actually spyware), AVG, or Microsoft Security essentials.

All of these in my experience offer superb virus protection for free (note that anti-vir has an ad popup for their commercial software everytime it updates itself, that's normal for it. But other than that, it's a very good program.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #755 on: March 19, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
Oh, I'm perfectly happy with Kaspersky (I feel almost the same way about it as my sister does, and she refers to it as her best friend... ::)). My dad knew exactly what was wrong with it when I'd called him about it. I just wish I'd had him look at it sooner, because it took 3 days and it was while Kaspersky was down that the virus sent the first round of e-mails. I'm sure it'll catch whatever's on here. It's already found 3 adware, a virus, and a trojan, and it says it's still got about an hour left of the scan....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »
Literally two days after I buy my Pre, Palm releases their financials and now everyone thinks they're about to go belly up. Now I'm wondering if I should take my phone back. I don't want to because I like it a lot, but...gah. Stupid world.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 23, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »

Keep your phone.  Worst case scenario it just doesn't get fixed when broken . . . or ever get more apps. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #758 on: March 23, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »

Keep your phone.  Worst case scenario it just doesn't get fixed when broken . . . or ever get more apps. xD

Well, on the bright side there would probably be more apps, at least for a bit. There's a very thriving homebrew section that has a few thousand more apps than the official catalog. Also, palm endorses it.

Another also: Most likely, if palm DOES go belly up, they'll get acquired. Their patent portfolio alone would be tasty for any phone manufacturer (OS or hardware), but that doesnt say what would happen with webOS phones :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 09, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »

My phone has entered the white screen of death.  D:  This means iPhone no more working.  Found online it could be a loose cable, sadly, cable is plugged in tightly. :(

I don't want to spend a fortune on a new phone.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #760 on: April 18, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
Found a link to an interesting-looking anthology (via the blog of an author who's made a sale to it, so one assumes that they're legit, despite the best efforts of the website to convince me otherwise). Thought I have something that might fit, then noticed that the submission guidelines describe the editor's "preferred length" as between 2000-6000 words. He says he'll consider fiction not within that limit, but if my piece is nearly twice the preferred length (11k) should I even bother? ::)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
Allergies......not too mention i heard Dallas is the 2nd worst area in the nation for them bahhhh!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #762 on: April 19, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
Allergies......not too mention i heard Dallas is the 2nd worst area in the nation for them bahhhh!!!!

According to the asthma and allergy's 2010 list, Dallas is number 80.

The only reason i bothered checking into it, was because i read a local news story a few days or so ago talking about how st. louis (where i live) slipped from number 1 from last year to number 2. I was hoping we would reign supreme again, but alas, we have fallen :(

(note: i don't have allergies, so my wanting this score to be high is a completely superficial ranking, and i'm sure if i had allergies, i would likely feel the opposite.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 20, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks Eerongal I was basing mine on hear say....look at my post and you will realize i didn't speak with authority. And i use to be on allergy shots, so i wish the pollen count was low, but according to the Fox meteorologist (never reliable i know) last winter was cold enough to make it higher than normal.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #764 on: April 20, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Thanks Eerongal I was basing mine on hear say....look at my post and you will realize i didn't speak with authority. And i use to be on allergy shots, so i wish the pollen count was low, but according to the Fox meteorologist (never reliable i know) last winter was cold enough to make it higher than normal.

Yeah, that's what i assumed you got yours from, but i was still HOPING it was true so we could still be number 1 :P

Also: to be fair, number 80 is really high on the list as well, considering HOW many cities there are in the US...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:00:56 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard