Author Topic: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours  (Read 114858 times)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours
« Reply #615 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:12 PM »
Yes, I'm the master of non-contact juggling. Which is closely related to indecision. I'm not the master of indecision, but I've heard that it's pretty cool like non-contact juggling. What I'm trying to say is that there was no contact with any of the three, verbal or otherwise, and I have not decided.

Wait, what? I don't think I told that one right.

Greek dude, I commend you on your skill at remaining unconscious. Are you the master?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #616 on: October 24, 2009, 12:59:08 AM »
So that night I bruised my tailbone, I took a test for my Geology class. We got the scores back today....Let's just say I didn't do so good. In order for me to pull off a decent grade (read: at least a B) I'm going to have to bust my butt studying for every single test left in that class....And one of them is over 75 index fossils, and it's right after Thanksgiving. Ugh.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 24, 2009, 01:53:58 AM »
Well, today I failed a math test for the first time in my life. I don't expect it will be the last, but hey, it's not particularly fun.

My only real  consolation is the fact that no one in the class passed. The high score was a 56%. Apparently we didn't learn the material as well as we had thought.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #618 on: October 24, 2009, 02:23:16 AM »
Holy crap, what test was that, Andrew?

I had a differential equations exam today, which covered second-order and higher equations. I think I did fairly well. At the very least, I caught one major error on differentiation when I was doing the method of undetermined coefficients. Fairly certain there were no other major errors.

But on the other hand, I'm working the front desk on a Friday night, a night which coincidences with the Halloween ball. Oh well. I'm working in one of the two all-girls dorms, though, so it's not too terrible (The only male desk clerk here, I may add :) ). What is terrible, however, is my utter lack of math capability. I'm a math major, and it took me ten minutes to make sure all the money was in order inside both cash boxes after I broke a twenty. I can do differential equations, but numbers are too difficult, apparently.

Ironically, I'm really liking my matrix theory class, which deals with matrices... of numbers.

Finally, something is wrong with physics. I start my homework assignment here, and you'd think, "Oh, it's a 1-star difficulty problem. Out of three. It will be easy!" You'd also think that formulas for solenoids and their magnetic field would be correct, but apparently I can't substitute variables in correctly, because my answer is wrong for the energy density. This is bad. This does not bode well for the physics exam I have next Thursday (the day before my birthday, grumble), especially when the teacher loves thought-provoking physics tests. I should be able to solve an easy frickin' problem like this.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 24, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
The test was over implicit differentiation, which we just started earlier this week. And the fact that I understood approximately a third of your post highlights to me the fact that college calculus is a much different thing from high school calculus.

What I really don't get, though, is why we all did so poorly. I mean, I got 100% on all of the assignments through the week, and apparently everyone else did fairly well too. The test didn't seem all that difficult as we were taking it, but my teacher told us at the end of the period that the high score for both classes was a 56%. Incidentally, every one of the top 10 students in my graduating class is in one of those two classes. I don't know how I scored yet, but I'm hoping it was the 56. That way I still have an A in the class. But, not much I can do about it now, and I am allowed to retake, so it's not like it's the end of the world.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2009, 03:43:40 AM »
Differential equations is fourth semester calculus, so don't worry about it. The language makes it seem a lot worse than it really is.

That's so weird that your class did that bad. Implicit differentiation isn't that hard, and I always know if a test didn't go well.

Though, once I took multivariable calculus (that is, third semester), I learned this really neat thing called the Implicit Function Theorem. If all you want to do is find dy/dx, it makes things a lot simpler if you are lazy like me. Basically, if we make the function of the form F(x,y) = 0 (so we'll just put all the terms on one side), then

dy/dx = - (part(F)/part(x)) / (part(F)/part(y))

Those are partial derivatives up there, which are really easy to compute. If I wanted to take the partial derivative with respect to x of (y*x^3 + y^2*e^y), that's kind of a nasty thing to differentiate, and if you're doing implicit differentiation you might not even know how to take the derivative of transcendentals like e^y. Luckily, it doesn't matter at all. The "partial" derivative is when we pretend all other variables (except the one we are differentiating--in this case, x) are constants. Now the other variables are cake, because everyone can differentiate a constant. In that example I popped up there, that derivative is 3yx^2, because that whole other term has all y's in it, so it's effectively a giant constant, making it zero. The y will act like a constant in the other one, too. All differentiation things still apply.

I guess now that I think about it you could get some really ugly implicit differentiation on tests, especially if you have to apply the quotient rule with the product rule. It gets annoying quickly. So let's just skip that crap and hope our partial derivatives simplify things!

So take a partial derivative with respect to X of that function, then y. Your answer will be -dF/dx / dF/dy. (In reality, partial derivatives are denoted with a script d, rather than a d like I'm using, but heck if I can find script d for a forum... Let's pretend my notation is right.

When you think about it, it makes sense. When you are implicitly differentiating you'll get a whole bunch of junk like this:

dy / dx (junk of a function) = (different junk)

And to solve it, we divide the junks so we get dy/dx = junk/different junk. So while I'm not going to prove the Implicit Function Theorem (because that would be unpleasant and involve the Jacobian, which I don't feel like dealing with) hopefully you can sort of see from inspection that whenever you get an answer for your implicit differentiation, it will be the quotient of two functions. In effect, what you do with implicit differentiation is exactly the same as computing partials.

So that probably flew over your head. It might impress your teacher when you start whipping out the partials though.

(Indeed, any solution you get implicitly, you could check with this method. Perhaps it would be a good thing to remember for the final, to check your work. Hopefully you have time to do so, and if not, that's cruel.) 

You might not believe me, but multivariable calculus was the easiest of all four semesters of calc, also the most fun. Differential equations isn't hard, either, as it basically boils down to "I know the type of solution it looks like, so here's the answer". There's plenty of ugly algebra though. Multivariable sounds ominous, but only once did I have truly atrocious algebra.

...I'm a little bored, as you can tell.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:01:01 AM by Chaos2651 »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 24, 2009, 04:42:01 AM »
Yeah. Calculus itself so far has been incredibly easy. It's the algebra that can get a little ugly.

As for the test, the only problems that I really had difficulty with were the two that involved several trig functions and the use of either the product and quotient rules or the chain and quotient rules. But apparently those weren't the only two problems that I had difficulty with.

Like you said, implicit differentiation really isn't that hard. I don't know why it went so badly.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 24, 2009, 04:42:41 AM »
My homecoming dance is my Halloween Ball and it is on Halloween... and i got a hot date  :)

Grumpiness: my date may have to back out due to stupid Sorority (yeah i can't spell) duties

Algebra is fun Cal isn't...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #623 on: October 24, 2009, 04:55:02 AM »
Yeah. Calculus itself so far has been incredibly easy. It's the algebra that can get a little ugly.

As for the test, the only problems that I really had difficulty with were the two that involved several trig functions and the use of either the product and quotient rules or the chain and quotient rules. But apparently those weren't the only two problems that I had difficulty with.

Like you said, implicit differentiation really isn't that hard. I don't know why it went so badly.

Yeah, quotient rule can spike up that difficulty so fast. Good thing you don't really deal with it *too* much in higher maths.

Algebra is fun Cal isn't...

I will find you a problem that will make you a liar. I can think of one off the top of my head, but it's "merely" a function that boils down to solving linear equations. I'll give you a calculus problem with nonlinear equations and show you where your mouth is. Four equations, four unknowns, but the amount of solutions you get could be ten, twelve, sixteen, or anything really.

Let's compare.

Find the maximum value of -x^3-2x^2 + 3. That's easy calculus.

Doing that in three dimensions, however, is not. Trust me.

When you get up into the higher maths, your basic technique is fine. You just somehow forget to add. Or multiply. Or you missed a negative sign. Ridiculous stuff.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #624 on: October 24, 2009, 05:17:28 AM »
stupid Sorority (yeah i can't spell) duties
Did somebody say my name? (ICYWTK, you did spell that right.)

The Bio teacher is dumb. "All you need to know is the basic workings of biology. After all, this is not for majors." Questions 30-40 (of 60): What is this? [Diagram of various complex chemical compounds] _______

Wow. I'm glad that we aren't in the course for majors. Also, I'm sure that I'll be grateful that you made us memorize every freaking chemical that has anything to do with biology's structure in twenty years. Not.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #625 on: October 24, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
My Geology teacher grades on a curve. To my knowledge, the highest grade in the class was a 94. I got a 68, and I think that's after the curve....So without it, I got a 62. And my over-all grade is now a D. A high D, but a D nonetheless. I don't like D's. I can deal with C's, but D's....No. Not cool.

And Chaos, your posts confuse me. I have no idea what you're talking about, since I know nothing about Calculus. And now I don't want to know. I am extremely happy that I completed my math requirements at College Algebra....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 24, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
I take pointless Applied Cal 1 and 2 and then Linear Algebra for a stinking B.S. in Business Admin.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #627 on: October 24, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »
Linear algebra is the easiest class I've ever taken. It's interesting and it's new material, but it's not "hard" in any sense.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 24, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »
I always make pointless errors in math therefore i dislike math. (i know the concept always i divide instead of subtracting ect.) not to mention graphs suck!!!!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #629 on: October 24, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
See Kaz? It's the algebra errors that flub people up :P

Good thing in linear algebra you don't divide things. You multiply by their inverse. It's a really neat way to solve systems of linear equations.