Author Topic: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours  (Read 114860 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Grumpiness in New, Seasonal Flavours
« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
Did you do an actual honeymoon?

No chance; Med School Orientation was 2 days after the wedding.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #481 on: August 22, 2009, 08:53:55 AM »
So. Earlier today, I turned on my laptop. I was on for barely five minutes (maybe), and I wasn't even really doing anything, and all of a sudden, this antivirus thing pops up saying my computer is infected with a bunch of Trojans, and I try to exit out of it, but it won't let me. So I go to the Control Panel, thinking that if I remove the program, that will solve my problem. But I get this error telling me that I don't have access to the control panel. So I try SuperAntiSpyware, which again comes up with the same error....

Well. I'm more than minorly frustrated at this point, so I call my dad (it's lovely to have a computer programmer as my father...) who tells me to shut my computer off and he'll look at it when he comes home. Which he does (and as a funny little side-note, when he turned it back on, it wouldn't let me open ANYTHING. Not even Spider Solitaire...), and he fixed it. Eight Trojans. Argh. My computer just won't stay uninfected for more than three months.

The stupid thing is that even though it's uninfected now, it still pops up with that error, telling me that I can't access whatever program I'm trying to run, but the program will still run. Even though the error says it won't....Stupid computer. I hate you....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 22, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
This one's for you, Wilson: Ars Technica Guide to Malware and How to Avoid It.

My sister's computer is a virus magnet. My dad's computer never picks up viruses. I strongly suspect the difference is not in the computers. ;)

(Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm trying to be helpful here.)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #483 on: August 22, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »
Oh, I know. It's my fault this problem started. I shouldn't have gone to certain sites to watch some of the movies and tv shows I did. I know that's how I picked it up in the first place. The thing that gets me is that my dad cleaned my computer (this was last November). He cleaned it GOOD. There was nothing wrong with it for about three months, and then it got reinfected. Again because of my stupidity....

But at this point, I'm going solely to site that I know are safe. I'm not clicking links, I'm not opening junk mail. As far as I know, I'm doing everything I should be, yet somehow my computer keeps picking these things up.

Anyway. Thanks for the link. Reading it right now.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 23, 2009, 04:31:41 PM »
If you get a suspicious popup, only close it by right-clicking the taskbar button and selecting Close. Buttons on the popup itself might be fake.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 23, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
I . . . . really really want to play WoW again. . . . but I've been clean for over a year.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 25, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »
Darnit! I ordered the wrong type of memory and didn't realize it until I opened the box. At least I didn't open the packaging and they'll take it back with no restocking fee... Sigh.

EDIT: Not only that, but the wireless card I got for Karen does not fit her computer. I suck.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:47:48 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #487 on: August 27, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »
While we're on the subject of computer woes...

I think it may be time for a new monitor. This one keeps going pink.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #488 on: August 27, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »
This one keeps going pink.

...I don't think it's supposed to do that.

Mine keeps blacking out on me when it's running on batteries. Only sometimes it's not blacked out. Sometimes it's a bright green. Or some other unnatural color....Odd.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #489 on: August 28, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »
...I don't think it's supposed to do that. :P

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #490 on: August 28, 2009, 12:31:03 AM »
Raethe, if it's a CRT, you may just have some weird wires in the cord shorting if that's any comfort. No matter what kind of monitor it is, if it has a replaceable cord, you could do what the name says to it.

Sounds like yours is a connection issue as well, wilson. Does the tilt affect the badness?

I created some awkward by conversing with a totally gorgeous model who is my friend-from-high-school-who-is-a-girl's second cousin. Where do I go wrong? Can't I just harass random beautiful women on the internet without them being [that one religion]? And a relative of a friend? It's a good bet that the Empire knows we're here my friend now knows that I totally chatted up her cousin.

P.S. It's not quite as bad as I make it sound, but still.
P.P.S. I don't do this on a regular basis. This is the only time I've done this, in fact.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #491 on: August 28, 2009, 02:00:29 AM »
Sounds like yours is a connection issue as well, wilson. Does the tilt affect the badness?

No. It doesn't do it all the time either. Just about half the time I'm running on batteries, and only when I've been off the AC for over an hour...The screen goes a solid color (could be pretty much anything. I've seen charcoal, green, light gray, white...and a few others. Mostly charcoal), and I have to restart the computer to get it back to normal. Not even closing the laptop--which normally puts it into hibernation--does anything. I hit the button that should put it into hibernation and the screen goes black, and then I take my finger off it, and it goes back to whatever color it was before....Stupid.

I really just need to have it taken apart. My brother's best friend is insanely good with laptops and computers--he's built more than his fair share--and he'd probably be able to figure out what's wrong with it....But hey--at least mine isn't randomly freezing up, like my sister's. She reboots it and sometimes it freezes again within 5-10 minutes of the reboot.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #492 on: August 30, 2009, 03:20:48 AM »
Ugh. Was going to go out to karaoke tonight at a favourite haunt... and it turns out they're not having karaoke. (Which we discovered five minutes before phoning ahead - as we phone ahead because it's a bit of a drive.) Now I'm disappointed.

Now my mother's phoning other places to see if THEY have karaoke (in Kelowna, which is even more of a drive). Meh. If we're not going to the Saxon I'd really rather stay home and work. =(

Edit: Also, the writing  in my first draft is embarassingly bad. I want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:08:16 PM by Silk »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #493 on: August 31, 2009, 06:53:57 AM »
So, Joe Sparks (of Radiskull fame) came up to Reno for the weekend & we went out to get smoothies at a local Vietnamese place... only to find out that they closed half an hour before we got there.  Bleh.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #494 on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
I have such short stubby fingers. Playing even moderately difficult chords can be a pain. Usually literally.