Author Topic: All my books are read, Looking for suggestions  (Read 15685 times)

PW

Re: All my books are read, Looking for suggestions
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »
Not yet.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2009, 03:44:44 AM »
The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss)

The Westing Game (Ellen Raskin)

The Amulet of Samarkand (Jonathan Stroud)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
Ooh, I loved the Westing Game!  I've read that to two batches of kids so far.

Anything by Carol Berg (violent but otherwise clean)

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books beginning with The Wee Free Men.  I think these are better than his usual, which are fun.  Don't skip all YA books because they are meant for kids.  There are some gems to be found and this is one, IMO.

Little Britches by Ralph Moody (an American classic neglected by most public schools)

You've probably already read Ender's Game by Card (I just read it for the first time), but have you read The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov?  OS Card said once that writers should note Asimov's unobtrusive, clean writing style in the midst of a great story and this is a sci-fi classic.

I think I'll try Bakker next, myself.  Sounds good!

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
I recently started reading the Dresden Files and can't put them down. I really think Butcher is one of the best authors out there. He might do tension and hooks better then anyone I've read.

Not to mention:

EVIL FAERIE QUEEN IS ABOUT TO DESTROY THE WORLD
Dresden runs up, snatches the magic whatsit she needs. Yells, "Meep! Meep!" and runs like hell.

Classic.

Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 04:50:42 AM »
mtbkmom - careful with Bakker. After reading your other post, i dont know that it's for you. Read our review of his stuff on the blog I linked. I think it is too much for you in the sex department.

Erik - consider stopping Dresden Files after book 9. We reviewed book 11, and we don't know that the series will recover from it. If it does, great, but books 10 and 11 were very poor. You can read the review without it spoiling too much. It made us sad, cause we loved 1-9 (especially 7 & 8).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 05:55:13 AM »
Erik - consider stopping Dresden Files after book 9. We reviewed book 11, and we don't know that the series will recover from it. If it does, great, but books 10 and 11 were very poor. You can read the review without it spoiling too much. It made us sad, cause we loved 1-9 (especially 7 & 8).

Damn, that sucks. I haven't enjoyed a series as much as the Dresden Files since reading the Amber books. Then again, 9 books of goodness is a pretty good streak.  :D

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:25 AM »
mtbkmom - careful with Bakker. After reading your other post, i dont know that it's for you. Read our review of his stuff on the blog I linked. I think it is too much for you in the sex department.

Thanks, BSG.  I had just re-read some earlier posts on this thread about Bakker and came to the same conclusion.  I plan to spend much time on your review website/blog and I'll probably plug it heavily on the thread I started.  You sound like you are sensitive to some of the themes I'd like to avoid and a review site such as yours will be valuable to me and many of my FB friends. 

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »
No worries! Also keep in mind that we do take requests. Many of the books Nick and I read and enjoy are of a more mature content level, but we realize that readers need a variety recommended to them. We'll do our best, and if nothing else, you can laugh while we bash certain authors.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2009, 06:10:17 PM »
I don't know if someone already recommended this but oh well, my friend and I are trying to spread the word about Glen Cook. Pick up the Chronicles of the Black Company (contains the Black Company, Shadow Games, The White Rose). Oh my god I cannot express how amazing this book series is. 10 books long and is being re-released by Night Shade Books with WICKED AWESOME covers. It will probably be like nothing you've ever read, and is very gritty, presenting the soldiers view rather than some epic hero.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »
I don't know if someone already recommended this but oh well, my friend and I are trying to spread the word about Glen Cook. Pick up the Chronicles of the Black Company (contains the Black Company, Shadow Games, The White Rose). Oh my god I cannot express how amazing this book series is. 10 books long and is being re-released by Night Shade Books with WICKED AWESOME covers. It will probably be like nothing you've ever read, and is very gritty, presenting the soldiers view rather than some epic hero.

Except the BLACK COMPANY stuff is being released by Tor. The covers are by Raymond Swanland. Nick and I met and chatted with Cook last year, and he is indeed full of awesome. His DREAD EMPIRE series is being pushed though Nightshade, as well as some stand-alone novels.

For those of you who haven't read Cook, he took fantasy into the 1st Person Narrative and brought it to the "trenches." He is often referred to as a simpler Steven Erikson. In fact, Erikson said this about Cook. "Reading his stuff was like reading Vietnam War fiction on peyote."

We will be mentioning THE BLACK COMPANY on or review blog next week (or maybe the week after). We've been pushing Cook for a long time, glad you jumped on board Jakobus.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:04 PM »
I'll jump on board for Cook too. I've only read the Black Company and Sweet Silver Blues (a Garrett book), but I've really enjoyed them. In fact, I've enjoyed them so much that I now own eighteen more books by him, waiting in my book queue.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »
I need to try Black Company again. I started it and just couldn't get through it. But people that I always agree with have told me it rocks too. I think I just need to give it another try.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2009, 11:45:19 PM »
It starts good, has some slow moments, but then gets going again (the series that is). It's good, 1st person, military fantasy. And considering how awesome of a person Cook himself is, you are required to like his stuff. :P

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »
Thanks for correcting me :)
I had Swordbearer on hand and that's one being re-released by Night Shade, so I assumed, which I should never do. The Black Company is amazing, you won't regret reading them.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Erid

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
Hi Erik, not sure if you are still reading this thread but if you're still interested in the whole fae subject you might want to check out Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.  It is a huge book and starts a little slow but it is great, very unique story telling, I loved it.