Author Topic: All my books are read, Looking for suggestions  (Read 15150 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: All my books are read, Looking for suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
I think as much happens in the full Belgariad.  In some ways I think the Belgariad is WoT told from the Seanchan perspective.  Though perhaps a bit earlier or later in the rotation of the wheel.  Of course, Eddings is not quite as good as Rigney when it comes to all the color elements.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:39:48 AM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »
I'll probably get around to more Erikson eventually, but probably only the same way I got past the first Wheel of Time book—through boredom a few years later and not particularly having anything else to read. Having audio books available helps, so I do hope there are someday some, since such I'm-bored-reading is best done while doing mindless time-consuming work on something else. The first book just didn't convince me to read the second one.

I just reserved the S.M. Stirling books Island in the Sea of Time, Dies the Fire, and Conquistator at the library. I saw a sequel to Dies the Fire on the shelf and it sounded interesting, so I read up a little on his books. I saw Stirling on an alternate history panel at Worldcon and he was great, so I'm hoping the books are enjoyable. I have read one Stirling book before, his first Engineer book with James Doohan (I assume Doohan wrote almost none of it), and it was decent except that I found the religious nutjob villains to be completely flat. (If it was the book I'm thinking of.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
audio erikson would make me very happy.

i saw Stirling on a few panels there, and i wasn't impressed. there was a panel on military in F & SF that made me lose interest in his books. he wouldn't address any of the questions people asked, and he insisted on interrupting Glen Cook (who WAS trying to answer questions).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »
Am i alone in the world where as i dislike audio books...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
I was driving ~80 miles a day (until this week, i now only drive 15ish), and audio books kept me awake much easier than music. plus it was a good way to keep up on reading during wasted time (2-3 hours of driving a day). actually listening to books made me appreciate the descriptiveness of Martin even more, as well as the humor of Pratchett.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
Audio books are okay, as long as the actors are good.  They are no substitute for a good read, but they are a different media.  I like old NBC radio sitcoms too.  Audio only is a good format when you want a change of pace.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »
I like audio acting i mean even with the religious BS in The Adventures of Odyssey i still don't mind listening to it. And yes i know that show is designed for kids...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 07:05:04 AM »
Some audiobook readers are better than others. Some add to the experience, and some have to be overcome by the strength of the material.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 07:41:28 AM »
The Chronicles of Amber, read by Roger Zelazny Audiobooks -- FTW.   ;D
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 07:52:04 AM »
I was disappointed he never really delved into the worlds of Corwin's Pattern.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
Sadly, I don't think that he ever had time. He was dying of cancer and knew it, but didn't tell a lot of people about it. I've read that he had planned to do a third series of Amber books.

I remember reading a story about how he had been gaming with George R. R. Martin, Walter Jon Williams, Jane Lindskold, and at one point they asked him what his character was doing and his reply was incoherent. They stopped the game, thinking he was just tired (they all knew he had a kidney infection but not that it was a complication of chemotherapy).

The next day he was dying in a hospital bed, the day after that he had died. From what I've read few people knew he was anywhere near that sick. They all thought he was fine enough to play some GURPS anyway.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
Merlin's half wasn't nearly as good as Corwin's and yes i would have loved to know exatcly how the traid of the Logus Vs. Dworkins Pattern Vs. Corwins Pattern played out...

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 04:33:56 AM »
The Merchant Princes by Charles Stross. I think I finished book two, The Hidden Family and stopped. Anyone know if anything really exciting happens in books 3 or 4?

Book 3 drags a lot in the middle.  There's a big section where Miriam is imprisoned in her room, and it's about as boring for us as it is for her.  Interesting things do happen in 4, but it's not exactly moving briskly toward a conclusion.  I expect I'll keep reading, though, just to find out what happens.
~금강산도 식후경~

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »
My birthday is almost here and my parents are buying me about 20 books...half are reserved for Heinlein, i'm getting American gods, some Niven, a few Harlan Ellison, and i want to try out Erikson what book of his should i read first...

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Gardens of the Moon