Author Topic: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art  (Read 29271 times)

thall

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
I dont support the decision to have three (or even two) releases. This book is a legacy to Robert Jordan, not a way to may some cash off him. The should release it in one copy to make the fans happy. We've been loyal readers for 11 books .... Its what Robert most likely would have wanted.
"He who has imagination without learning, has wings and no feet." - Joseph Joubert

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
ryos has the right of it, and miyabi has a good point as well. they will split it in a way to get a ton of money. two is pretty obvious. three will make people angry, but not angry enough to cause any significant loss in monetary value. personally, i think splitting it in 3 would be crappy towards the readers.

lets analyze the post:
1) Cover Art: Could be a mock-up. After all, WoT covers historically are terribad, and this totally fits that mold.
2) Wording: Doubtful that it is true. The sequel to Crossroads? Nope. Brandon's name as big as Jordans? Sorry, I doubt that (but hey, good for Brandon if it goes that way!)
3) Released in November with subsequent parts (more on that later) the following November(s): This is prolly a fact. November will gross the most cash for Tor.
4) Trade only release?: Utter horse-crap. Won't happen. Period. There will be a hardback release which will sell for $30. The idea of a trade costing $22 EUR is way out there. I mean, you do realize that Hardbacks of this big time novels go for $20 EUR right? I wouldnt be surprised at a trade release in the UK, but like I said before, it will be 13-15 EUR not an idiotic 22, and it will be in addition to a Hardback
5)Number of Volumes: 2? Guaranteed. 3? could happen. just think about it. the book is gonna be 750K words long. that is HUGE. Even in 2, that's 375K each, which is huge. you split in 3, that gives you 250K each. still a large novel, but way more manageable. who know? you might not support it being released in two books (or three) but it will happen, and it would have happened regardless. Sure, Tor wants to make fans happy. Guess what? They are by simply having the book finished. But don't fool yourself into thinking that Tor doesn't want to make a killing off the novel as well. A single volume on first release would be an idiotic decision on Tor's part.

Now, WoT readers can all complain about the split and the release time, but consider this: KoD was released in 2005. Jordan was following the 3 year plan before he passed. AMoL is really 3 books worth of book, so really, it could have taken 9 years to put it out. would you rather the full 750K be released over the next 2 years or over the next 6-9? For goodness sakes, think about how much work is being put into this novel so it can even BE released. Not to mention, Brandon is finishing AMoL, another Alcatraz book, and the first book of Way of Kings (so he has something coming out next year only under his name). He's doing all of that and STILL writing AMoL at an absurdly fast pace?

Yeah, I'll take it how it comes, thank you...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »
Yes, I agree it is likely to be a 3 volume release, most probably in 3 years.
Just making notice to those of you who still hope, no, they won't likely be 3 books like the rest of the series, but parts of one work, which means no real ending climax (just minor ones), and not real endings for the first 2 books.
Also, the 22 data (21.95 to be exact) is dollars, so it is around the 15 euros mark UtbaIBG states (depends on change when books release).
And, one little thing. BS hasn't finished writing. He is guessing 700k words, but they could be 600k or 800k, so in one situation it would make sense to have 2 books and the other would be better 3.
I just can suppose they are talking about 3 to get fans used to the idea. You know, it was stated it would be 1 book, then they started to say 2 volumes, and people now are used to the idea to the point of mostly accepting it. So, maybe they want us to get used to the 3 books - 3 years release idea. Who knows?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
Brandon is far enough along by now that he knows it's not gonna be 600k. The way the estimate has kept going up, I am guessing that when it's all done it will be north of 800k.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 09:55:01 PM »
Brandon is far enough along by now that he knows it's not gonna be 600k. The way the estimate has kept going up, I am guessing that when it's all done it will be north of 800k.
That is an insane number for one book.  At that rate you would HAVE to split it.  I mean, it just isn't feasible to have a book that large in one volume.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ulkesh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
Ok there will be a hardcover. And Brandon just said the cover art is a placeholder. *phew*
There's still the Title: Personally I think it's a weak title, but the important stuff is the story after that title  ;D

BUT the WORST problem remains: C'mon, 3 books? Seriously? And ONE YEAR between them? That's just a slap in the face! I'm really upset about this.... and dissapointed.

I know you can't publish a novel with 800K words. But if you split them you get 400K and that's about the length of TSR or LoC. Also Brandon explained that two volumes would make sense, because the story is split in "Preparing for the last Battle" and then "Tarmon Gai’don" itself. And since it's considered as one book I hoped that the first Part would get published in November 2009 and the second one somewhere around February 2010.

3 Books in 3 Years just so smells like money-making and dishonering Robert Jordan's legacy.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:22:02 PM by ulkesh »

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
This is very VERY dissapointing. 3 books in 3 years you have got to be kidding me. Before Robert Jordan passed away he was well aware how long AMoL was going to be. He was quoted as saying things such as getting the book into one volume "whether it is 1500 pages long, Tor has to invent a new binding system, or it comes with its own library cart".   I understand, maybe, that just maybe it isn't possible to to bind a book that large but there should be a whole lot of trying going into finding a way to do it. Even if they can't bind it to one spine they should sell the two or three books, or however many it takes, together as a box set. To keep them all released at one time! The year in between the releases is flat out outrageaous! RJ promised his fans numerous times that all would be settled in ONE final book. But alas, greed trumps all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:30:51 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:05 PM »
Seriously? Publish the book in February? January and February are the worst months to have a book published.

Ookla is right, the book will be as long as it needs to be. The last time I chatted with Brandon, he was thinking 750K, but that it may easily go longer. For a moment, consider how much needs to be wrapped up. I would hesitate to get too angry over the way it will or won't get published. Remember, Harriet is making some of the calls here, so apparently she is OK with whatever is gonna happen. If she is OK with it, I'm pretty sure RJ would have been good with it too. If the book creeps higher than 800K, i have no doubt they will split it into 3. From a bookstore perspective, that would be the best.

People may as well stop thinking of it as 1 book being split. Try thinking of it as 2 or 3 books to end an epic series. Maybe then having 2 or 3 massive books released a year apart rather than 3 years apart will seem like the huge accomplishment that it is. As it is, I'm starting to lean towards not being sure who is being more greedy in this situation.

I would rather the book be written in its entirety and written right rather than rushing to get it all out right now and have it turn into a terrible work like the new Dune novels. There is also a lot more that goes into having a novel published than just, "lets just publish it all real quick."

The book isn't done yet. Brandon has finished the first 450K and is revising it LINE-BY-LINE. Then he still has to write AT LEAST 300-400K more. Good grief, the speed at which he is writing is astounding, and that isn't good enough?

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Sanderson's been saying 750k for a while now, he doesn't seem to have adjusted it upwards in quite some time.

The Tor folks seem to be gearing up for an official announcement early next week. I don't feel any particular need to get bent out of shape over things until there's something official. And probably not then either. ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:52:05 PM by Silk »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
Also realize that binding a book that size would cost you, the reader ,several hundred dollars because it would be very expensive, and many people couldn't afford to buy it.  People also need to think of book sellers in this argument as well, they probably don't want to give the space to Tor for having all the books, if there is more then one, out at the same time or in a few months of each other-- not to mention how many people in todays economy would rush out to spend the money for those Hardbacks at the time they were released.  And if all did come out at once it would probably be 2-3 years until it was finished with all the editing, re-writing, invention of new binding system (and machines to do the binding) so the time frame would be the same but cost you more.

Reality sucks but greed wouldn't be the only reason for the book being split, Tor has to work in the environment that exists for selling books as well as the current economy and people buying habits and the cost of not doing so would appear to be greater then doing so.

I'd look at it this way, instead of getting 1 book in 2-3 years you're getting it in parts over those 2-3 years.

P.S. These opininions are my own, I have not talked to Brandon about this for quite some time and he can't tell me any more then what he tells you all.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
I don't care if the book is released in full in December 2010. What agravates me is the creator of the series promised his fans ONE more book. All the resolutions all wrapped up. One shot. The ending we have been waiting for in ONE EPIC NOVEL! But instead, for what seems like monetary reasons, they are going to string it out.

Also realize that binding a book that size you cost you the reader several hundred dollars because it would be very expensive, and many people couldn't afford to buy it.  People also need to think of book sellers in this argument as well, they probably don't want to give the space to Tor for having all the books, if there is more then one, out at the same time or in a few months of each other-- not to mention how many people in todays economy would rush out to spend the money for those Hardbacks at the time they were released.  And if all did come out at once it would probably be 2-3 years until it was finished with all the editing, re-writing, invention of new binding system (and machines to do the binding) so the time frame would be the same but cost you more.

Gah! Don't bring your logic in here! I'm heated about this! I will rant away....Seriously though, I wish for no more projected release dates. Gets my hopes up for nothing. Brandon should just continue on doing his thing and then slam a release date on me 1 month before it actually comes out. And yes I know that is very unrealistic.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Cynewulf

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »
Seriously? Publish the book in February? January and February are the worst months to have a book published.

Ookla is right, the book will be as long as it needs to be. The last time I chatted with Brandon, he was thinking 750K, but that it may easily go longer. For a moment, consider how much needs to be wrapped up. I would hesitate to get too angry over the way it will or won't get published. Remember, Harriet is making some of the calls here, so apparently she is OK with whatever is gonna happen. If she is OK with it, I'm pretty sure RJ would have been good with it too. If the book creeps higher than 800K, i have no doubt they will split it into 3. From a bookstore perspective, that would be the best.

People may as well stop thinking of it as 1 book being split. Try thinking of it as 2 or 3 books to end an epic series. Maybe then having 2 or 3 massive books released a year apart rather than 3 years apart will seem like the huge accomplishment that it is. As it is, I'm starting to lean towards not being sure who is being more greedy in this situation.

I would rather the book be written in its entirety and written right rather than rushing to get it all out right now and have it turn into a terrible work like the new Dune novels. There is also a lot more that goes into having a novel published than just, "lets just publish it all real quick."

The book isn't done yet. Brandon has finished the first 450K and is revising it LINE-BY-LINE. Then he still has to write AT LEAST 300-400K more. Good grief, the speed at which he is writing is astounding, and that isn't good enough?

It is certainly good enough, and I am happy we could have such a competent and hardworking author finish The Wheel of Time. Add in the fact that he is a longtime fan, and no one can ask for more. The speed of his writing is not the issue here.

However, this talk of three books concerns me a great deal. Sanderson has never even entertained the idea, at least not in any place we common readers could see it. He has talked about the possibility of splitting the book in two, though, which is a notion any reasonable person can accept and appreciate. Three, on the other hand, seems to come out of the left field. That would make three very short books, given the context of this series, if not that of publishing in general. I for one will be more than pleased with two volumes of 400k+ books, much more so than three books in the 260k range.  If that entails a wait of half a year more than what the case would be with a hypothetical tri-split, then so be it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »
Exactly, Spriggan. There is a whole lot more to this than just "i can has all at once?" A book that large in all one volume would have been impossible to shelve in my book store. Just the cost of printing alone would be INSANE. The size of the book at 250-400K words will be $30 US anyway due to printing costs of such a large novel. A book 2 to 3 times the size would cost triple or more. Not to mention a book that large would have a shorter life-span. the binding would split and break due to the weight rending your investment worthless.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »
I don't feel any particular need to get bent out of shape over things until there's something official. And probably not then either. ;)

Amen!
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
Tripple Really?  I'd guess 5 time more ($150) because you have to invent new methods and machines (at least parts for exsiting ones) to do the binding.  I know everyone is complaining because of what Jordan had said but it was un-realistic in every way and no one is looking at the big picture.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.