Author Topic: How to get your stuff read by Brandon Sanderson, and possibly Tor Books  (Read 3660 times)

jwdenzel

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
All,

As many of you know, I'm the webmaster over at Dragonmount.com, one of the large WHEEL OF TIME fan sites.  I'm in frequent communication with Brandon Sanderson -- we talk about once a month on the phone. 

So the other day I mentioned to him that I've been involved in Reading Excuses and he was thrilled to hear its going well.   He expressed some interest in reading the best we have to offer. So we came up with a plan.

We need to pick 5 submissions from what has been submitted so far, and send them over to him.  He'll read them all, and then at the JordanCon convention in mid-April, he'll give the best one to Tom Doherty (the president of Tor) to read with his personal recommendation.

Submission Criteria:
- Must have already been submitted and reviewed by RE members
- Must be the fantasy or sci-fi genre
- 3500 word limit
- It has to be polished.  Free of typos, etc.   
- A 1-page synopsis of the entire novel has to be included.

It's up to us to choose the 5.  Our deadline to decide and get the submissions to Brandon is in one week:  April 8. What do you guys think?

(As a starting point, I'll nominate one of Reave's Crystalheart chapters, as well as one of Hamster's Soul Taker chapters. Thoughts?
These are not my stories. I just write them.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
I haven't read enough yet to really vote, but what a fantastic gesture! This Brandon Sanderson, he is a class act, no? :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Lol, when I looked at the title (before looking at the poster who put it up), I thought it was some asking how. I was about to put up a post saying to submit the normal way to the publishing house, and that most author's agents won't let them read unsolicited manuscripts.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
Hmm.... That looks pretty cool and normally I'd be nominating people left and right (because you know I love all your guys' stuff) but today's date make's me wonder....  :D
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Wow that sounds amazing, and I am incredibly thrilled and flattered jwdenzel! I would like to nominate something from yourself and Necroben (if he hasn't already read any of your stuff, that is. ;) )

PS- lol Frog. Good point...However, I decide to trust Jwdenzel. Possibly a mistake, but hey  :D

PPS- As a side note, did you guys notice the writing excuses episode put up today? Hahaha
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:38:45 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Wow... congratulations to the lucky five- whoever they may turn out to be.  I haven't been around long enough to really qualify to either nominate or vote, but... wow.  Just wow! :)
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
PS- lol Frog. Good point...However, I decide to trust Jwdenzel. Possibly a mistake, but hey  :D

Definitely a mistake. Happy April Fool's.  :D

(And leave it to Frog -- my archnemesis -- to call my BS.  *shakes fist*)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Urg. Your black-handed treachery shocks me to the core. Its even crueler to mention names...

Well played, J. Well played.

I mean, I knew it was a joke. I was just playing along   :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:56:17 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
*bows*

I picked your name simply cause I knew you'd see this post today.  We'll see if Hamster picks up.

(BTW - Reaves, you KNOW I love your stuff. :D)

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Guh...*facepalm* ;D

I forgot the cardinal rule of Internet communications on April Fool's Day. Namely, stay off the Internet on April Fool's Day. ;)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
Re: How to get your stuff read by Brandon Sanderson, and possibly Tor Books
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
And Frog spoils everyone's fun saves the day again! :D

(And leave it to Frog -- my archnemesis -- to call my BS.  *shakes fist*)
Sorry, but that spot has already been taken by a certain elf hater on this site but you come in at a close second. ;)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:05:28 PM by Frog »

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
Sorry, but that spot has already been taken by a certain elf hater on this site but you come in at a close second. ;)

Gah!  I can't even antagonize you adequately.  Is there nothing I can do to storm your impenetrable fortress here?  So...powerful!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
This was quite awesome.

/high-five
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

Gah!  I can't even antagonize you adequately.  Is there nothing I can do to storm your impenetrable fortress here?  So...powerful!

Hey buddy, I was her archnemesis first!  8)
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
@Max: I tried to tell him, but what can I say? I  just am so very good at collecting Evil Arch Nemesisi. :P

@J: Ha! My powers are endless and my fortress is indestructible! Just go ahead and try!
*stealthy hides the big red button w/ a 10 second count down.*
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:55:50 PM by Frog »