Author Topic: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)  (Read 22031 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »
So because you are unsure of your opinions, no one else is entitled to have one.  Hmmm. doesn't sound healthy.

But Nyneave does have a similar chip on her shoulder.  She never got the chance to grow up before she was forced to take responsibility for the community as wisdom.  She had a responsibility and no one was willing to cooperate or give her the respect she needed to do her job.  So she started attacking verbally to cow the congers into submission, for their own benefit.  They were just obstructionist and constantly trying to "put her in her place" which caused lot's of trouble. . .

Hey your name isn't Andrew Conger is it? :P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
but in 15 years she will be at Lanfear level

And because every time I read something about her, I think something along the lines of, "Wow, Nynaeve is pretty much useless right now. Despite being stronger in the power than pretty much all of the other Wondergirls, she has been outdone by all of them. And she still hasn't really done much that was all that productive that couldn't have been done by others.

*Gasp!* Just think back to a scene where her and Rand go back to Shadar Logoth/Aridhol! >:(

A far more ann0ying character, imo, is Elayne.

“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
but in 15 years she will be at Lanfear level

And because every time I read something about her, I think something along the lines of, "Wow, Nynaeve is pretty much useless right now. Despite being stronger in the power than pretty much all of the other Wondergirls, she has been outdone by all of them. And she still hasn't really done much that was all that productive that couldn't have been done by others.

*Gasp!* Just think back to a scene where her and Rand go back to Shadar Logoth/Aridhol! >:(

A far more ann0ying character, imo, is Elayne.

First of all, observe the bold text. There are other Aes Sedai Rand could have linked with and done the same thing. Besides, Rand did the work there, not Nynaeve. She just sat there and let him pull saidar through.

Second, I'll agree that Elayne is annoying. But only after she becomes pregnant. Before that, she was actually one of my favorites.

So because you are unsure of your opinions, no one else is entitled to have one.  Hmmm. doesn't sound healthy.

Not sure whether you're joking about this part or not, so I'll assume not. It's not that no one else is allowed to have opinions. It's not even that I'm unsure of mine. It's that I don't state my opinions as fact. They usually include the words "I think" in them. If not, I try to make it clear that it's my opinion.

I also really don't mind it so much when it's about issues that no one really knows fully. Like theorizing on a forum. We can't really be sure, and neither can anyone else. So, we all just state our opinions as fact.

I don't even mind this if it's a well-informed opinion. The best example I can think of is when people decide that nuclear power is going to cause the end of the world, or that the US government has enough oil to run every car in the country for a year. Basically, the only time it really annoys me is when people take their opinions and make up facts to support them. That's really what I was trying to say.

By the way, I agree with the most of the rest of your post.

Hey your name isn't Andrew Conger is it? :P

Maybe..... ;)
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
I'll get back to this soon, hopefully.  I just keep picking it up and starting to read, but then I just think about how huge this series is and become all blah about the whole thing and only read a page or so and want to like, not read it. ha ha. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
I'll get back to this soon, hopefully.  I just keep picking it up and starting to read, but then I just think about how huge this series is and become all blah about the whole thing and only read a page or so and want to like, not read it. ha ha. xD

I did my re-read-through on my 80 mile daily drive with audio books. It's the only way I made it through the last half of the series. Even then, It was all I could do not to completely skip sections that were insanely repetitive. So yeah, I know what you mean. To me, book 2 was the high point.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
If book 2 is the high point then I'm seriously going to be in trouble once I get to book three and realize I past the best part. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2009, 09:52:02 PM »
I did my re-read-through on my 80 mile daily drive with audio books. It's the only way I made it through the last half of the series. Even then, It was all I could do not to completely skip sections that were insanely repetitive. So yeah, I know what you mean. To me, book 2 was the high point.

Miyabi - I've learned to respect Important Bookstore Guy's opinions on these forums, BUT I've also learned he's not your average WoT fan. He is much more critical of WoT than most of us WoT fans on this forum. I would take his WoT opinions with a grain of salt.  ;)

I definitely like book 2, but I feel that the series really takes off around the end of book 3. I think books 4 and 5 are my favorite.

A huge epic fantasy story makes you feel "blah"?
Hmmmm, sounds like you aren't a fan of big long epic fantasy series. Not sure if you'll like WoT then, since that's exactly what it is.
I think Robert Jordan is a master story teller and I love his writing style. Try the first book and see if you like it!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »
eye of the world takes a while to get into but the series is worth it... bookstore guy is more than just more critical about WoT he sees it from a different perspective book 1 3 and 11 are my favorites in the series and only a few books i've read are as good as them ie Memories of Ice, Stranger in a strange land, time enough for love, 1984, to kill a mockingbird, and about 4 others they are amazing!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »
It's not that I don't like epic fantasies, because I do like them.  It's just daunting to think there is THAT much material I'm behind on.  I'm used to being ahead of the game on things.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 06:25:55 AM »
Yeah, I know the feeling. You should also know that I didn't like book 2. I did, however, love books 3, 5, 6, 9, and 11. And 11 is my favorite so far, though 6 was close. It's all just a matter of what you come to like about the series. Keep reading, eventually something will pull you in and you'll like it as much as the rest of us. If not, well then I guess you can hate me forever. But I doubt that will happen (and when I say "that," it applies to both possible antecedents....you hating me or you not liking the book. Is that the right word? Antecedent? Now I can't remember... Oh well. You all know what I mean anyway.).
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »

Miyabi - I've learned to respect Important Bookstore Guy's opinions on these forums, BUT I've also learned he's not your average WoT fan. He is much more critical of WoT than most of us WoT fans on this forum. I would take his WoT opinions with a grain of salt.  ;)

this is true. it's not that i dislike WoT, it's just that (in my personal opinion) it is a good representation of 90's fantasy, and not a good representation of current fantasy.  the genre has changed, and in my opinion, for the better. I like the current style of fantasy much better than the Brooks, Eddings, Jordan, and Dragonlance fantasy. I do respect Jordan immensely, and I understand how much current fantasy is a product of past fantasy - but I yeah, i am critical of WoT. and Kaz puts it right - im not just critical; i look at it completely differently (I have read the full series about 4 or 5 times).

miyabi - dont get put off reading any series because of how much material there is. if anything, this is a blessing. you dont have to wait forever for the next novel to come out. It's like when you discover a TV series that has 4 seasons already out on DVD - you get to have awesome marathon sessions of watching and catching up while other wait in agony. lol!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »
has the genre really changed that much in 10-15 years that Authors who wrote in the 90s are now passe?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
of course the genre has changed over the past 15 years. the industry has changed as well. if the genre hadnt changed, we'd still be reading Tolkien rip-offs like we were for decades. There is a ton on innovation and originality going on.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:01 AM »
Like B.S.'s kick ___ magic systems
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »

miyabi - dont get put off reading any series because of how much material there is. if anything, this is a blessing. you dont have to wait forever for the next novel to come out. It's like when you discover a TV series that has 4 seasons already out on DVD - you get to have awesome marathon sessions of watching and catching up while other wait in agony. lol!
I'm definitely hearing that one.  I'm hating having to wait until next year to see the second season of United States of Tara.

Alright, IF I'm not completely dead by the end of today (I'm sick and I have about three days worth of school work to do, plus a full shift of work. UGH) Then I will read a couple chapters and get a new thing written. HOEPFULLY.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。