Author Topic: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)  (Read 21919 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: My readthrough of WoT
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
I meant I think Tam has training not Rand.

The fail meant that it didn't keep them safe to move to Two Rivers.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
Well Tam is Rand's Da so he is important to his development but remember Rand Mat and Perrin are the main characters but you could argue that Egwene  and another character i'm not sure you've met were ones too.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 08:12:03 PM »

Chapter 6 - Chapter 9

Questions

So was Tam a Master Swordsman at one point?

So the uhm, angreal allows someone to be able to draw more on the One Power than if they didn't have one right?

Wait, if the Myrddraal could see through the dark and see Rand, why didn't it attack him?

Thoughts

The action really picked up in this section and a lot of new concepts were introduced.

There seemed to be a couple inconsistencies. (i.e.  First a lot of houses were burned, then just two of them.  The Myddraal didn't see Rand, but then it's said he can see perfectly in the dark.)

The first half of chapter 9 was confusing and jumpy, just like a dream. ha ha.  Probably the best dream seen I've EVER read.  Jordan does amazingly at writing this section.

Predictions

At some point in the future Tam will come back to teach Rand something about being a Master Swordsman.

At least one other person from Emmond's Field will come into play strongly later on in the story.

At some point Rand will have to go back to Emmond's field to do something.  Or go to the city within the Mountains of Mist.

As the time goes on Rand will begin to remember things that happened in past turnings of the wheel.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 08:30:15 PM »

Chapter 6 - Chapter 9

Questions

So was Tam a Master Swordsman at one point?

Tam is a quite proficient swordsman. I will say no further than that.

So the uhm, angreal allows someone to be able to draw more on the One Power than if they didn't have one right?

Basically, yes. At later points you will start hearing about sa'angreal and ter'angreal, just note that they are all different in certain ways, i dont want to reveal too much

Wait, if the Myrddraal could see through the dark and see Rand, why didn't it attack him?

Myrddraal are complicated. Generally, I wouldn't really question what they do earlier on, just note that they "Have their orders" so to speak. Their intentions aren't always what they appear on the surface.

as a side note, here is a great knowledge base and break down, annotations, and cross references of all the chapters for all of the books here. Note spoilers abound
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »
I don't know if Miyabi actually wants these questions answered? More just what is going through his mind as he reads. Most of your answers are basically RAFO anyway, it might be better to just let him do so. IDK.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
I like the half-answers that most people are giving.  They give me enough to understand, but also not too much to spoil anything. :]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »
I don't know if Miyabi actually wants these questions answered? More just what is going through his mind as he reads. Most of your answers are basically RAFO anyway, it might be better to just let him do so. IDK.

well, if someone asks a question i know anything about, i generally try to answer it to the best of my knowledge. A question that's has no intention of being answered would best be left to his section on prediction :)

However, if he doesn't want me to answer his questions, I would gladly not do so. But I assume questions are being asked to clear confusion on his part as he reads, which can certainly happen later in the series when it comes to referencing previous events/knowledge. If he asks a question that covers knowledge he should know by that point, then i would gladly answer with something other than RAFO type answers.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »
A question that's has no intention of being answered would best be left to his section on prediction :)

EXACTLY!  That is what that section is for. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »

well, if someone asks a question i know anything about, i generally try to answer it to the best of my knowledge. A question that's has no intention of being answered would best be left to his section on prediction :)

However, if he doesn't want me to answer his questions, I would gladly not do so. But I assume questions are being asked to clear confusion on his part as he reads, which can certainly happen later in the series when it comes to referencing previous events/knowledge. If he asks a question that covers knowledge he should know by that point, then i would gladly answer with something other than RAFO type answers.

I like the half-answers that most people are giving.  They give me enough to understand, but also not too much to spoil anything. :]

Okay :) I just know how I would prefer to read it and wasn't sure.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »
They don't just give away raven marked swords and the mydraal probably didn't see him because of the wooded area not the darkness...

Reaves i miss the bunny...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »
raven marked swords

heron-marked. ravens are later.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »

Reaves i miss the bunny...

lol. He might be coming back eventually.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
my bad i forgot the raven is the ************ symbol and the shadows symbol...

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
Yeah! Another first time WoT reader. This series is awesome. I love experiencing the WoT through someone reading it for the first time.

myabi - about your predictions. I'll only say that one of your predictions is correct, one is somewhat close (but you won't know that for a few more books), and two of them are dead wrong. I'll let you RAFO which is which. :)

Keep telling us what you think about the book/characters/scenes. I love it!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:12 PM »
Vatdoro, are you sure about that? Can you PM me which ones you're talking about? 'Cause I think you may be wrong.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.