Author Topic: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)  (Read 22028 times)

Shard

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
Your all wrong, Books 2 and 3 are not the high points, that's 4 and 5. Though I found book 8 to be good, book 9 to be kick ass. Book 10 though is the one that's really the problem of the series, though it picks back up in book 11.

I guess I'm one of the few that enjoys the fact that this is such a long series. I mean sometimes a Stand-alone or Trilogy just isn't enough for me.

I've also found that just because someone is smart and has good opinions you don't always have to agree with them. I still think the Pros of this series far out-weigh the Cons.

Frankly I can't wait for that 10 book Epic Fantasy Brandon keeps talking about. *hehe* :)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »
Brooks, IMHO doesn't belong in the same group with Eddings et al. He is better categorized with Lewis and Tolkien, because he focuses more on the poetics of the story and the world than character development of storytelling.  He does it well but is not really part of the same movement with Eddings, Feist, Salvatore and Morcock.  For the record this group is not characteristic of 90's fiction.  They were a feature of the 80's.

Jordan could be described as an aeration because the scope and scale of WoT subsumes the four authors I cited, blends their master works and improves on them with characterization that is the foundation of what Books refers to as "current" fantasy.

Book two seems to wrap up the real prologue, and for those with literary HADD it comes across as the high point.  But, when you realize that WoT is really only one novel and relax enough to accept a volumes-long story arc, you can see that no one of the volumes is really much better or worse than the others. They all serve a niche that is required by the story.  A tale like this can't be endless car chases, flashing lights and explosions.  Short and quick or even suspenseful dramatic is not always the best choice.  When the only tool in your box is a hammer, you see the whole world as nothing but nails.

But then, I've only read the entire series 6 times or so, so I may be being hasty with my assessment. ;P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2009, 05:46:19 AM »
OK, I'm going to go take a bath right now and read some more of this book. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »

Chapter 16 - Chapter 17

Questions

OK, so I'm a bit sketchy since it took me SOOOO long to read this part.

Does Min come back later?

Was the one Child of light actually a Drakghar?

Is it possible that all three of the boys have the ability to become the Dragon?

Are Aes Sedai better at certain types of magic?  As in they each have certain aspects that are easier for them than other Aes Sedai?

Thoughts

This part starts to go faster and a lot of stuff happened once I actually got to the second half of Chapter 17. ROFL. 

I really want to know how much more the Aes Sedai can do.  So far I've seen her heal, but for some of that she needed the uhm, that thing that helped her do better, but she didn't need it for making her self HUGE.  So I think Aes Sedai better at certain types of magic.

Predictions

All of the boys will have a chance to become the Dragon, but only Rand will chose to do that.  The other boys will learn different types of magic or something.

Nynaeve will eventually learn at least something about Aes Sedai magic, if even only so that she can find some reason to hate it more.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »

Chapter 16 - Chapter 17

Questions

OK, so I'm a bit sketchy since it took me SOOOO long to read this part.

Yup!

Not to my knowledge, unless i missed something entirely. Drakghar themselves don't have the ability to change how they look to "blend in" or anything that i'm aware of.

Is it possible that all three of the boys have the ability to become the Dragon?

Because of how the mythology behind the WoT series works, and what the dragon is specifically, I can't see this being a possibility, it's just incompatible with how it works. That being said, no, it isn't possible.

Are Aes Sedai better at certain types of magic?  As in they each have certain aspects that are easier for them than other Aes Sedai?

Yup, just like someone who practices one thing over the other, you can be good at one thing, and bad at another.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
Yes.  The Law of Conservation of Characters might as well have been written specifically for the Wheel of Time.  There are a great many minor characters that come back later and get more important.  Min is one of them.

Draghkar don't really disguise well, and no shadowspawn have shapechanging abilities (with one very special exception you'll learn about later.  Much later).

No.  The Dragon Reborn is Lews Therin Telamon reincarnated.  His identity was determined at or before birth.

Of course.  There are even some things that can't be done at all without the right Talent (capitalized).  You'll learn a lot more about this and all other aspects of the magic system when point of view characters start learning it.

I really want to know how much more the Aes Sedai can do.  So far I've seen her heal, but for some of that she needed the uhm, that thing that helped her do better, but she didn't need it for making her self HUGE.  So I think Aes Sedai better at certain types of magic.
I think the Giant Moiraine thing was mostly just illusion, though it's never really explained how that let her get to the other side of the wall and she never does it again.  The thing that increases her power is an angreal.

All of the boys will have a chance to become the Dragon, but only Rand will chose to do that.  The other boys will learn different types of magic or something.
No, Rand is the Dragon and that's the end of it.  The other boys do get their own important abilities and roles, though.

Nynaeve will eventually learn at least something about Aes Sedai magic, if even only so that she can find some reason to hate it more.
RAFO.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2009, 08:06:36 PM »
Yes.  The Law of Conservation of Characters might as well have been written specifically for the Wheel of Time.  There are a great many minor characters that come back later and get more important.  Min is one of them.

Unlike the prophecy woman in Eragon, much more interesting character.

Draghkar don't really disguise well, and no shadowspawn have shapechanging abilities (with one very special exception you'll learn about later.  Much later).

No.  The Dragon Reborn is Lews Therin Telamon reincarnated.  His identity was determined at or before birth.

How did you come to these theories?

I think the Giant Moiraine thing was mostly just illusion, though it's never really explained how that let her get to the other side of the wall and she never does it again.  The thing that increases her power is an angreal.

I think she did use the giant as an illusion and simply walked through the gate because the WC were distracted and watching the giant Moriane. It's one of those things that may never get explained though and only be in theory.

RAFO.

Yeah she'll learn a little bit about Channeling.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2009, 03:38:35 AM »
I maintain that channeling is not strictly magic, because it is something that was used as a power source for a high tech society in the past.  That is evident in the prologues you've read so far, I believe.  I think Rigney was trying to use the old proverb, Any sufficiently advanced technology would appear to be magic to primitives.  That's a paraphrase not a quote.

I think he meant it to be analogous to post apocalyptic renaissance types, still using portable holo-emitters and ray guns with nearly infinite renewable power-cell.

****Spoiler content hereafter****
The ways, for instance, are a take off on Greg Bear's Eon.  And the Ael/Eel-finn could be Rigney's projection of factions among neo-morph humans. 
****End Spoiler****

All I'm saying is the WoT books are a hot bed of Syncretism and violation of the classical "fantasy" forms and types.  Probably intended as a way of saying see fantasy can be sci-fi too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:29:47 AM by Renoard »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2009, 04:18:18 AM »
So in the past channeling was common place and was just a technology, but now that it's rare and unknown it just seems like magic to everyone? o.O

I guess that could make sense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2009, 04:28:05 AM »
That's my take on it at least.  Hey sorry about any spoiler terms, gonna edit my last post. To remove them.  Don't think I did any real damage though.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2009, 04:48:42 AM »
Channelling fueled the technology before the breaking but it isn't technology... it is one of two parts of the power of creation... thats why a man and a woman linked are more powerful than 2 women even if the women are the same strength as the guy...

Some people have natural affinities for different elements of the one power and mixing the elements of water air and spirit for healing is supposedly classified as a talent so yes even in relative OP strength some people are more skilled in different areas... like egwene can't heal for crap and she can do some serious damage
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2009, 07:02:17 AM »
Thanks guys.  I love your input. :]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2009, 03:24:56 AM »
So in the past channeling was common place and was just a technology, but now that it's rare and unknown it just seems like magic to everyone? o.O

I guess that could make sense.

Actually channeling IS magic, RJ just uses physics to explain it's use and how it works. Channeling seems tied to the Soul and if it was a Technology, anyone could learn it. As it is only about 1% of the populace does, and that's from RJ himself.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2009, 03:50:17 AM »

Chapter 18 - Chapter 19

Questions

Mordeth will come back later no?

Was it Mordeth that killed the original army that once stayed in Aridhal? (sp?)

Thoughts

Some fun stuff happened.

I liked that we start to see more creatures and what they can do.

Predictions

Uhm, not really much of anything really just from these two chapters.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2009, 04:36:51 AM »
Mordeth both appears and yet never does so again.... chew on that for a while...evil that opposes the DO lives in Shadar Logoth and that killed all the trollocs...part of that evil being Mashadar the mist that you see coming out at night
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz