Author Topic: My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)  (Read 21716 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
My readthrough of WoT (**Spoilers**)
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:02:46 AM »
OK.  SO I just picked up The Eye of the World and I read through the prologue.  I don't know what I wasn't catching last time I tried to read it.  (I was a LOT younger . .  maybe 7th grade last time I tried really hard.)  I already want to know what the series is about and it really caught me and pulled me in.  So anyway.  I thought I would start posting on here and give my opinions on sections of the books and ask questions when I hit things that I don't understand.  The prologue is full of so many things that are completely new to me and unique to the series that I'm hoping those all get filled in later on in the book/series.  In any case.  I'll post again in a few chapters or so.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:58:00 PM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: My readthrough of WoT
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:20 AM »
This should be interesting.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:25:46 AM »
Oh I had a question.  So I already started TEotW, but would anyone recommend reading New Spring after I finish TEotW or wait until later?

Sorry I went from a random youtube search of Mistborn and trailed to the wiki on WoT and found out there was a prequel novel.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
As Brandon and I have discussed, read them in the order of publication. Read New Spring after you finish book 10.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Madjius

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:04 PM »
To be honest, when i had read the series I wished i had read new spring first of all. Not in publication order
A little more background on moraine and lan wouldvbeen great!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:42:32 AM by Madjius »

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »
I read them in order of publication.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
To be honest, when i read that. I wished i had read new spring first of all. Not in publication order
Havent you herd of StoryLine?

Yes I have heard of a storyline, and I'm reading it in the order it was published by Robert Jordan and Tor. Frankly, i got more enjoyment out of reading New Spring by reading it after book 10. He uses tons of terms that don't appear in the series for a bit, and seeing Moraine as a newbie would have hurt EotW for me. The mystery surrounding Moraine and Lan would have been destroyed, as would have a measure of my respect. If he wanted it read first, he would have made it book 1.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »
I agree with Bookstore Guy.  The books make the most sense in publication order rather than chronological.

For the same reason, I get mad when I see boxed sets of The Chronicles of Narnia with Magician's Nephew as #1.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:29 PM »

Prologue - Chapter 3

Questions

What is an Aes Sedai?

Thoughts

I love how Jordan manages to take so many real world cultures and mesh them to become a unique and believable one within this village.

He does a wonderful job describing Rands struggle with being a kid and adult without flat out saying that's what's going on.

The opening is slow, but it introduces things in a good manner so that you begin to understand this new world and all of it's intricacies without making the descriptions or explanations seem like some sort of instruction manual.

Predictions - Perceptions

It seems to me that this time through the Wheel turning the Dragon will be a good person.  The prologue made it seem that the last time the Fourth Age was met everything was good until the Dragon appeared and eventually messed everything up.  So this time the world basically sucks.  I can see the Dragon coming to make things better this time.

I think the Dragon the Master Thain was talking about was a false Dragon and that Rand will be the real Dragon, but he won't know that until way later in the series.

I am currently seeing the end of the series as being the anti-prologue.  It being something close to the opposite of the prologue of this book.

Anyway, that's what I got out of that section of the book.  I'm done reading for a few hours, but I'll probably do some more later tonight.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »

What is an Aes Sedai?

it becomes readily apparent fairly quickly who they are. part of the "fun" of the series is finding out who they are and what they do. it's also good to get to know them as the characters do. normally I wouldn't be so veiled with the explanation, but not understanding Aes Sedai is a major theme for many of the novels.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:47 PM »

What is an Aes Sedai?

it becomes readily apparent fairly quickly who they are. part of the "fun" of the series is finding out who they are and what they do. it's also good to get to know them as the characters do. normally I wouldn't be so veiled with the explanation, but not understanding Aes Sedai is a major theme for many of the novels.

While not knowing precisely what/who they are and what they do, an easy way to explain it without really giving away anything would be to simply say they're the "Magic users" in the world. You get to see some of the stuff they do with no explanation, which adds to the mystery, so i wont go into any of that, but think of them as the wizards/sorcerers/whatever.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Madjius

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 01:54:41 AM »
I like to call the Sedai cursed. ;)
Enjoy the story!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »
miyabi I think you'll enjoy it a lot more if you RAFO because having questions is what makes you read on and you feel good when you discover the answers yourself.  ;) And knowing stuff like that already might ruin some stuff for you. Maybe.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:11:31 PM »

Chapter 4 - Chapter 5

Questions

Is it just me or would it take some . . . actual TRAINING to be good enough with a single-edged sword to be able to take down multiple Trollocs that are attacking you.  >>  (When I was in Japan we spent a little bit of time in a Samurai/Ninja village.  One of the things they taught us was a little bit of sword play. . . it's not as easy as just swinging a stick. ha ha.)

Thoughts

Tam has some dark secret about how awesome he used to be and that he came to Two Rivers to protect Rand after his mother died . . . FAIL

Predictions

I guess basically all of my thoughts this time around kind of fit together and repeat themselves. :\  There wasn't a lot of new stuff in this section, BUT there was a lot of stuff about Tam, which makes me think he is extremely important somehow.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »
Without giving away too much, Rand doesn't yet have any "actual" training but he...well....has some "actual" training. That statement will become less confusing the further you read.

What do you mean by "FAIL" in the thoughts section of your post?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:10:30 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar