Author Topic: Grammar Questions  (Read 10948 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Grammar Questions
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2009, 01:04:45 AM »
You're almost right, Shaggy, according to what I said before, except the ". . ." needs spaces on both sides. When you have four dots like you have at the end there, the first one doesn't have a space before it, but when there are three dots there is always a space before and after. (If there are spaces in the middle like there are supposed to be.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2009, 06:06:36 AM »
Right–thanks, Ook.

But wouldn't that not really be correct (@ Jade) 'cause the word that was left out was its own word, and not connected to 'Swear' (where you're putting the apostrophe)?

Like I said, this is an idiosyncratic thing I do.  Not standard usage.  I like it, though.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »
I would just say it's wrong. Apostrophes work on the word level, not the sentence level. If they're on the sentence level they become single quote marks and look unbalanced.

You can use wrong punctuation idiosyncratically all you want, of course, but if you actually want to submit something professionally, don't.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »
Right–thanks, Ook.

Actually, Jade, I was just reading a book where they used that, so, I guess I was mistaken.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49:32 AM »
Heheh.  Have at you, Ook!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:43 AM »
I do sometimes see it when part of a set phrase has been left out, such as " 'Course" for "Of course," but when it's not a set phrase it's just wrong, and if you saw it in a book, some editor was being sloppy.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 02:10:43 AM »
The way I saw it was in "'Night," the apostrophe being in place of 'Good.' (Set phrase?)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »
I do sometimes see it when part of a set phrase has been left out, such as " 'Course" for "Of course," but when it's not a set phrase it's just wrong, and if you saw it in a book, some editor was being sloppy.

I generally only do it in that context.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
Yes, Shaggy, that's a good example of a set phrase where the use is defensible or even preferred.

(Everyone please remember that when you use curly apostrophes, they always curl the same way as they do in the middle of a word, even if they're at the beginning of a word. I think that typographically there's little that looks worse than an apostrophe facing the wrong direction.)

If you're leaving off a personal pronoun, though, that's not a set phrase in the same sense.