Author Topic: Great bands you've never heard of  (Read 17931 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Great bands you've never heard of
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
No, actually they are mostly made up of the members from Panic! at the Disco and a few other people, but no one is sure who all of the members are. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 09:39:22 PM »
I like Dispatch. They've got some really cool songs. Personal favorite is The General.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
Motion City Soundtrack is an amazing band.  Most people know at least one of their songs, but most people don't know who they are. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
I've got them on my computer. I don't listen to them very much, but my sister loves them.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 09:44:24 PM »
Capital H is probably the best super-hero-parody song in the entirety of time. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Epistemological

• Level 2
  • Small furry creature from Alpha Centauri
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 03:54:16 AM »
The Arcade Fire. They're getting a little more attention now, but still. If you have not heard them, you need to. Their album Funeral is so hypnotic and gorgeous, like Nietzsche high on Romanticism. I literally cannot stop listening to it.

Tortoise. They're a sort of instrumental jazz-rock-everything-else group. I recommend starting with the song "I Set My Face to the Hillside" which is available on youtube.

The Fleet Foxes. Beautiful music, incomprehensible lyrics that only make sense in fits and starts. The effect is gorgeous enough to make up for it.

16 Horsepower. A strange, gripping alt-country band that I recently discovered. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Elysian Fields. A smokey, noir-ish band. Not as much substance as a couple others on this list, but they're still a joy to listen to.

C.R. Avery. A fascinating and talented beatboxer/spoken word artist. That sort of thing does not usually grip me, but C.R. had the skill to make me a believer. I recommend "The Boxer Who Just Returned From London" to get yourself hooked.

Spoon. They might be getting popular now, but like the Arcade Fire, if you aren't a believer yet there is no better time than now. They aren't alternative or underground in the normal sense of experimental or weird (mostly), but at the same time they are wholly fascinating and unique.

And that's all for now. I could go on, and on, and on, but no need to make a mammoth of a post.
Once, I asked my imaginary friend,
"Are you real?"
She thought on this, and then sat
down upon the beach. She poked
her finger into the sand; it left a
hole. Ten times she did this, and
nine holes she left.
"Mostly," she concluded, and I was
forced to agree.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 04:05:37 AM »
Oh, I've been meaning to mention The Antlers for a couple weeks, just keep not doing it. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 04:51:26 AM »
...genres?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 05:14:19 AM »
Oh, everything I post will be found under the indie umbrellas of alternative or electronica.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 06:28:09 AM »
It makes a very big difference to me which of those two it is.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 07:00:55 AM »
Well The Medic Droid is the only electronic band I've put up so far.  Which do you prefer?  I could put up a bunch of electronica too.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 07:44:22 AM »
I'm big on Electronica, especially Trance.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »
Let's see, off the top of my head there's:

Freezepop

The Medic Droid

Daft Punk

Basshunter  (His Swedish stuff is much better than his English stuff.)

Pierce The Veil  (You might not like them, they are like scream-o techno.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:15 AM »
Daft Punk I'm quite familiar with.  Have you seen Interstella5555, the film that went with Discovery?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »
Hrm.. I'm a big seeker of new music, but this thread isn't doing it for me. I need a description of what something sounds like. "Electronica" and "Indie" are still big umbrellas.

See, I listen to EVERYTHING. My playlist has rap, alternative, indie, electronica, classical, baroque, opera, classic rock, psychedelic, folk, filk, blues, bebop, swing, big band, small band, marches, oldies, do-wop, even a country song.

But I don't listen to everything WITHIN everything. Bob Dylan, Richie Havens = good. Some other folk, including most Neil Young, not so much. Ataris, yes, Jimmy Eat World, yes. Other emo? much less so. The Ramones, Rancid, and NOFX all yes. Green Day no.

The best source of new listening for me has consistently been The Onion's AV club. And less the reviews than the "upcoming events." They talk about what the artist is doing on the album, what the sound is. There's some comparison to other bands, but more often talk about the performance itself.

The best find I've had from them wasn't anythign approaching a review. They did "Random Rules" with the front man of Robbers on High Street. Just announcing the first 8 songs his iPod came up with on shuffle. The combo was so appealing I had to try what came from a musician with that playlist. True love.

Here's the review that got me to listen to Art Brut (a decision made only recently and which I will not regret, ever)
Once upon a time, Eddie Argos promised not to sing about the things he likes to sing about. “No more songs about sex and drugs and rock ’n’ roll,” he blustered on 2006’s Bang Bang Rock & Roll. “It’s boooring.” Context helps: He was ribbing The Velvet Underground for glamorizing all of the above. Or he was kidding, because Argos almost exclusively writes songs about sex, drugs, and rock ’n’ roll; he just never sounds glamorous.

That’s especially true on Art Brut’s Frank Black-produced third album, in which hangovers, blackouts, and regrettable hookups populate a good chunk of Argos’ hilarious, blurted narratives. (Sample nerd-satisfying zinger: “I fought the floor and the floor won.”) If those sound like traditional Art Brut fascinations, look closer: Argos has shifted his focus from thrill-seeking to its consequences—and more pointedly, its motives. That’s almost what he did on 2007’s It’s A Bit Complicated¸ but then he seemed more interested in generalizing about his awkward, reckless life than understanding it or making it all that humorous. And while it’s misleading to call an album “mature” when it plunders rock history for riffs and features an ode to comic books, Argos has done some growing up. The flipside of debauchery is a classic brew of loneliness, insecurity, mortality, and hope—all of which, Argos increasingly realizes, can be pretty funny.

and the blurb converting me to Kings of Leon:
Nashville three-bothers-and-a-cousin outfit Kings Of Leon was originally pegged as the “Southern Strokes,” but with the growth of their sound, the new handle seems to be the “Southern U2.” Whether or not you consider that an upgrade doesn’t really matter, because KOL’s 2008 album Only By The Night and lead single “Sex On Fire” blasted out of the gates; the band has since earned a headlining spot at Lollapalooza and made promises of a more blues-influenced, slide-guitar anchored album on the way.

In all my time writing for TWG, I tried, and largely failed, to come close to the revelation that comes with an Onion AV Club or Decider description, only with RPG instead of music and stage.