Author Topic: Castle  (Read 13937 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Castle
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 11:45:51 PM »
This episode was definitely a step up, though I'm starting to realize that the last three episodes in a row have been House-style investigations: solve the problem, realize you were wrong, solve it again, realize you were wrong, etc etc. This happens a bit now and then in every good detective show, but House takes it to ridiculous extremes and now Castle is doing the same thing.

Castle has firmly entered "I'll watch it if I'm home but won't go out of my way or look it up on hulu" territory. Skar and Bookstore Guy and I all feel the same way, it seems, and yet we won't stop talking about it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 03:24:57 AM »
For me it's definitely the Firefly effect. I liked that show alot and I REALLY liked the character Nathan Fillion played, so, even though it's completely irrational, it spills over onto the Castle guy.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 06:37:55 PM »
The important thing to take away from this so far is that, contrary to what Skar believes, Laser-Tag is always cool. Always.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
Oh yeah? What about laser tag in a mortuary?  Ok, that'd be fun.  Graveyard?  No...that'd be fun too.  Hmmmm.  What about in an insane asylum?  Well, no that would be more fun than all the others put together.  WalMart? Huh.

I know, Laser tag with your grandparents on catwalks over giant pots of acid?  I suppose that would depend on how much you like your grandparents though...

Ok, Laser tag is always fun and cool. 

It must have been the dialogue that bothered me.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
yeah, it was the conversation at the door that was icky.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:48 PM »
So I watched ABC's other new cop show, The Unusuals, and though it doesn't have Nathan Fillion it's way, way better. I was really impressed, actually: they established good characters and interesting threads, and they set up a long-term plot arc right off the bat. They have gimmicks, obviously, but unlike Castle they don't rely on them at the expense of actual writing.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Since Skar won the laser tag event at my bachelor party, I believe Skar when he says it's always fun and cool.

Karen and I haven't watched any sort of TV the last couple weeks due to traveling around, and yesterday we packed up the TV leaving us with just the internet. TV just doesn't seem very important right now.

I wanted to like Drive because it had Nathan Fillion on it too. We also obsessively watch anything Adam Baldwin is in.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
So I watched ABC's other new cop show, The Unusuals, ... they don't rely on them at the expense of actual writing

Yeah.  I liked this one too. Very interesting.  Quite a chasm between the trailers and the actual show though.  I wouldn't have tried it out on the strength of the trailer.  Fell pushed me over the edge.  I'm glad.

-Fellfrosch

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
Since Skar won the laser tag event at my bachelor party

Didn't you also watch Mary Poppins at your bachelor party?  I told somebody that once and they didn't believe me.
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 04:40:30 AM »
No, that wasn't me. We watched Zone of the Enders: 2167 Idolo, a horrible anime with a horrible mecha design with a horrible cockpit location. We cried laughing. They were going to watch something after that but I actually left early so I wouldn't be exhausted the next day.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 04:42:11 AM »
I just watched an episode of this show.  I have to say my favorite part was when Castle dragged the girl into his office so he could read to her from a fiction novel HE wrote in order to help solve the crime. xDDD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
the novelty (see what i did there?) of this show is wearing off for me. i might be back to Netflix-ing old shows.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »
I tell you, watch The Unusuals. It's completely replaced Castle in my affections, Nathan Fillion or not.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
Just finished the latest Castle episode.  I may watch the rest due to misguided loyalty but I'll be very surprised if the show gets a second season.  The writing just gets more and more insipid.  The plots are OK, but the dialog is just terrible.  It's almost like the writers are turning the scene notes into dialog.

Scene opens on a small shop that has been trashed.  Beckett, Castle, two sidekick detectives enter the scene.
Beckett: "This place has been trashed."

Seriously?

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
Well, latest episode kicked some serious butt.  No particularly bad dialogue, they made use of the writer angle in a way that makes sense, the dirtbags acted pretty realistic.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  If they keep this up, they may come back.

-Fellfrosch