Author Topic: Castle  (Read 13936 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Castle
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
there was one element in this week's show where they used the writer angle (sort of) in a way that actually made the woman look good: when she was questioning the drug dealer, Castle was expecting a big dramatic shouting match full of accusations and threats, since that's usually what you see in fiction, and instead the police chief narrated a much more subtle and professional strategy that the woman used to get what she wanted. It was a great contrast of fiction vs. reality, it was a great chance to show that the writer doesn't know everything, and it was one of the very few times Detective Beckett looked competent; in short, it was exactly the kind of stuff the show needs way more of.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »
i was about to mention that, Dan. that was a good segment. i think it would also be good to bring her more into HIS world. she mentioned that she should go to their poker games. i agree. not to mention they introduce his ex-wife/agent in Ep 1 and haven't shown her again? need more conflict.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Madjius

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
Mmm, Yes they are definatly getting a Stepmom for the little girl that is ten times smarter than everyone else.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »
Just saw the latest episode.  I liked it still.  Didn't wow me but didn't squander any more potential.

I must say, though, that the writers have a tendency to be a little lazy.  For example.  There is no way in hell you could carry even a much bigger rug than the one they find the body in two blocks without noticing that it had a lumpy 180 pound 'thing' in it that feels like nothing more than a human body.  Give me a frackin' break.

And I'm sorry, but I just didn't buy that the wife would confess because the detective laid out a plausible sequence of events that implicated her, just like the last several perps, one per show.

PLEASE give us just one perp who says, "&*^# you.  I want a lawyer," and clams up.

Huh, I find that I may not be enjoying these shows as much as I think.  I'll still watch the next one though.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
I'm actually watching this right now, Skar. Awesome.

So hooray for Castle, who gets to be all bad boy again finally, but the detective continues to be dumb (she doesn't have to be dumb to be the straight man) and the writing is, as you said, increasingly lazy. They had the black woman call someone girlfriend? Honestly? Though I have to admit the "he wears a rug" line was brilliant.

What really bugs me, as an author, is that he had a new book in this episode--just four weeks after he had a new book in the pilot. That's a pretty awesome publishing schedule. Can't the writers find some way to incorporate his writing career without an actual book launch? Does he ever do signings or readings? Can he get into a fight with his agent or editor or something?

Also, ABC's viewer is now faulty in addition to poorly designed. As the technology becomes less usable and the writing becomes more lazy, it will soon reach a point where it's not worth my time.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 06:30:56 AM »

Crap.  I think that means I spoilered you.  I am sincerely sorry.  I'm usually so far behind on these things that I've never had to worry about spoilage.  I didn't even think this time.  But that's no excuse. Again, I'm really sorry.

(writes "Don't spoil shows for people, dummy" on an index card then staples it to his left eyebrow like an eyepatch, text inward)
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 06:49:13 AM »
Trust me, there is no way that you could spoil a mystery plot that thin--I had the wife pegged within the first 15 minutes. Besides, if I didn't want spoilers I shouldn't have been discussing a show online WHILE WATCHING IT.

Though this reminds me, in a roundabout way, that I just bought a Conan board game and I keep meaning to call you to set up a game night. As a fellow Robert E. Howard fan I think you'd love it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »

So hooray for Castle, who gets to be all bad boy again finally, but the detective continues to be dumb (she doesn't have to be dumb to be the straight man) and the writing is, as you said, increasingly lazy. They had the black woman call someone girlfriend? Honestly? Though I have to admit the "he wears a rug" line was brilliant.

What really bugs me, as an author, is that he had a new book in this episode--just four weeks after he had a new book in the pilot. That's a pretty awesome publishing schedule. Can't the writers find some way to incorporate his writing career without an actual book launch? Does he ever do signings or readings? Can he get into a fight with his agent or editor or something?

Also, ABC's viewer is now faulty in addition to poorly designed. As the technology becomes less usable and the writing becomes more lazy, it will soon reach a point where it's not worth my time.

Dan, it's the same book. The party in Ep 1 was an advance party honoring his forthcoming book - remember, he gives the female detective an advance copy as a gift in the episode? This episode was the actual book release - the reading he did from the book was of the death scene of his main character (the one Patterson gives him crap for in Ep. 1).

more importantly, you has Conan game? can I be a half-naked barbarian chick that's hawt?

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »
Trust me, ... WHILE WATCHING IT.
Whew.
Though this reminds me, in a roundabout way, that I just bought a Conan board game and I keep meaning to call you to set up a game night. As a fellow Robert E. Howard fan I think you'd love it.
Oh, that sounds entirely too awesome. Please do call me.

-Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
PLEASE give us just one perp who says, "&*^# you.  I want a lawyer," and clams up.

Forgot to give you an "Amen!"

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »
Yeah, I eventually realized that it was the same book. I also realized that I shouldn't complain about him not doing any readings when I'm not done with the episode yet, since he did one at the end. I will say, however, that the super hot detective has never looked less hot than she did in that frumpy pink dress she wore to the signing. Sometimes I don't understand that show at all.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
I will say, however, that the super hot detective has never looked less hot than she did in that frumpy pink dress she wore to the signing. Sometimes I don't understand that show at all.

sometimes it's scary how often we have the same thoughts.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
Get out of my head, mind witch!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »
Episode 5:
** Spoilers ahead**

Well, another mixed bag this time.  They may have started a decent overarching plot with him looking at Det. Beckett's mother's murder file.  One of the perps outsmarted them in the interview room.  An interesting moral dilemma was presented.  All good things.

But they missed the boat on quite a few too.  No comment was made on the fact that the cop, Sloan, lazily let the murderer go free, putting the Grandfather in his difficult position.  When the Grandfather was explaining why a father 'might' confront his daughter's killer and extract vengeance I, personally, would have had him mention that the darn cops had had their chance to find and stop the killer and done nothing with it.  Especially because he'd already shown angst over that very thing early in the show.

I had a hard time believing the laser-tag game.  His daughter's too old for it.  And when Beckett shows up the daughter first asks who she is at the door and then talks about having met her at the signing.  Lazy.

I wouldn't be bailing on appointments to run home and catch this show at this point but I'll still watch the next one at my desk over lunch.

-Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 10:18:54 PM »
Episode 5:
** Spoilers ahead**

Well, another mixed bag this time.  They may have started a decent overarching plot with him looking at Det. Beckett's mother's murder file.  One of the perps outsmarted them in the interview room.  An interesting moral dilemma was presented.  All good things.

But they missed the boat on quite a few too.  No comment was made on the fact that the cop, Sloan, lazily let the murderer go free, putting the Grandfather in his difficult position.  When the Grandfather was explaining why a father 'might' confront his daughter's killer and extract vengeance I, personally, would have had him mention that the darn cops had had their chance to find and stop the killer and done nothing with it.  Especially because he'd already shown angst over that very thing early in the show.

I had a hard time believing the laser-tag game.  His daughter's too old for it.  And when Beckett shows up the daughter first asks who she is at the door and then talks about having met her at the signing.  Lazy.

i agree for the most part. the cop being lazy is actually more realistic, and i liked it. the father not mentioning it again, i agree, was a miss. Beckett showing up at the door was the biggest problem for me. Like you said, that whole doorway scene was terribad and lazy.

i disagree with laser-tag. laser-tag is always cool. always. cool. just ask Barney from the show How I Met Your Mother.

the over-arching plot is fine, but i saw it coming from a mile away (by mile i mean several episodes).