Author Topic: My field trip to a place that should have been infested with zombies  (Read 3733 times)

Crusader808

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Sexy, Shoeless God of War
    • View Profile
But despite hoping beyond hope, wishing on a star, and chanting "I do believe in zombies, I do, I do!", wasn't.  Not a single solitary member of the undead.

My wife, daughter, several of our friends, and I opted to do a day trip down to monterey. Originally intended to give one our number inspiration for his zombie game (and my daughter a trip to the aquarium), it instead ended up being a tour of a lovely urban ruin (and a trip to the aquarium).

Fun for all, even if there weren't any zombies. Though those with photoshop skills are encouraged to add some.

Link to Flickr (Note that I can't enable javascript on the browser that I use to upload these flickr, so I can't use the organizer. Tonight I'll fix that but for now it'll look a bit hokey): http://www.flickr.com/photos/35947940@N06/

"I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals." Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: My field trip to a place that should have been infested with zombies
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:27:59 AM »
What was this place?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Crusader808

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:43:19 AM »
What was this place?

It was originally an army base in Monterey, CA (Fort Ord). Some of the shots are from a facilities area and the others are from the barracks.  There were lots of sites that we wanted to check out, but they were recently closed off, so we stayed away from them. These ones weren't closed to the public.
"I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals." Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:19:20 AM »
Some of those pictures look like failblog material.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Crusader808

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:27:33 AM »
Yeah, some of them definitely meet their criteria (staircase to nowhere? Fail).

Its freaking amazing how fast things fall apart and how cool it looks when it does. Though some of them were just kinda depressing. When we came across the pile of Job Hunting papers it made my heart sink. 

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
i was tempted to photoshop in some zombies and tell you to look closer at your pictures, however, i realized I'm lazy. So I didn't.

Sounds like an interesting trip, though
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:50 PM »
Good setting for a story.… *strokes chin thoughtfully*
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

StuckOnSquareSeven

• Level 1
  • If theres no one to hear you is it really a lie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »
Looks interesting. As you walked through did you happen to start planning a survival plan for the zombies.
The things we know in this world are true may not be on another. The things we know about ourselves may not be the same for others.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 03:37:00 AM »
Please try not to resurrect old threads.  Oh, and read the FAQ.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
It's not a very old thread. It was near the top of the 2nd page for goodness' sake.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 07:43:26 PM »
the thing about zombies is how do you kill the dead? And how are you un-dead doesn't that mean you are alive and if you aren't then you are just plain dead it should be the middle ground or something...but hell undead sounds kool thats the reasoning isn't it??? :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 07:44:53 PM »
The best way is to chop them up into tiny bits and bury each bit in a separate slab of quick-hardening concrete. This isn't something I've ever seen used in any movie or TV show, but it would be extremely effective against all sorts of monsters.

benvolio3

• Level 3
  • Satan's got nothing over me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
And beyond that, why do movies always portray zombies as being able to rip apart humans without even the sign of any trouble in doing so? I mean, where did the zombies get these strengths? It's like they would rip open a persons belly by themselves and without any tools. They rip skin likes it's paper!!! I always thought that post-mortem decay always started with the muscles, and if so... Why the super strength?
I'm in a band man!
www.myspace.com/thoughtsinframe

I'm actually only temporarily in the band...

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:52:10 AM »
Well!
It seems that decay would make zombies gradually weaken.  But something that occurs to me,  Humans only use 1/3 of their muscle tissue at a time.  It cycles, switching in banks.  That's why when you get tired to shake or quiver.  That's the fiber banks getting slower about switching on.  But people on certain drugs are super strong because the muscles malfunction and tear themselves apart using all three banks simultaneously.  People on PCP have been known to tear restraints apart.  Zombies, being dead, would probably have the same triple strength.

Just a thought.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 05:00:53 AM »
That's also assuming zombies derive their strength from their muscles, which is something I don't really see happening. Their vital functions have ceased, so there's no blood pumping, no food or oxygen to fuel the reactions and no waste transportation system. No, zombies surely derive all of their energy and strength from a supernatural source.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.