Author Topic: Reading Excuses - [Pipe] - [2/23/2009] - [Imitation]  (Read 1880 times)

Pipe

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
Reading Excuses - [Pipe] - [2/23/2009] - [Imitation]
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »
[Repasted from the email]

Hi everyone,

Here's my first submission: it's a stand-alone short story I'm planning to submit to a local publication by the end of the week.

GENRE: Science-Fiction - I wanted to try something outside my usual comfort zone.
POV: Third person, multiple POV's - again, something different from what I'm comfortable doing, but how else do we grow as writers eh?
LENGTH: Approximately 4500 words - I'm sorry it went over the limit, but as this is a complete short story with three parts, I just couldn't cut it in a way that wouldn't affect how the entire thing would read.

---

OPTIONAL CONTEXT: The piece is set in my home country of the Philippines, and while I don't think familiarity with the Philippines is necessary at all to weigh the story on its merits, I thought I'd provide some bullet-point details here for those who want to know what facts I would assume a local reader would know (and which would color his/her reading of the piece): [For the purposes of the story, even if it is set in the future, I presume a lot of these elements remained the same]

* We're a democracy with a weak party system, with the 'majority' party frequently being a coalition of parties which support the current President.
* While there are President-Vice President tickets, it it possible for the winning President and the winning Vice President to come from different tickets/parties. (Unlike in the US where, if the President wins, his Vice President automatically becomes the VP.)
* Politics in the country is largely personality-based rather than platform-based.
* Many celebrities become politicians, and many politicians are treated like celebrities.

---

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this,

- Pipe

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Excuses - [Pipe] - [2/23/2009] - [Imitation]
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:31:36 AM »
Sergio – Sergio-B to be technically accurate…
Maybe just Sergio-B, you’ve already introduced him as Sergio.

The polycarbonate ruptured with a sickening crack.
Is that a window, or a viewing screen?  This would be a good place to remind the reader.

Constitution ver. 5.8.
Haha, lmao.  I’m glad it wasn’t (something .0).

difficulty with such thins…
Things maybe.

I really liked it.  Though I might be a little biased in that I have a story about cloning as well.  I enjoyed your spin on it and the pacing was just right.  The only thing I might suggest would be some clarification on whether Villamayor was just making a memorial speech or an acceptance speech.  Personally, I think an acceptance speech might work better to close the story.  But then I’ve never tried writing a short story, so I’m not sure how to end one.  Great job!
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
I've made the corrections and clarification you suggested to my new draft - thanks so much for the help and the kudos :) (I had a feeling something was ambiguous with the last scene, but didn't realize what it was until you pointed it out - I'm going with the acceptance speech angle).

Hope to see your clone story too, eventually!

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:39 AM »
Thoughts While Reading:
I found the blurb just a bit too confusing to be helpful. I got it after a few reads though.

Some of the sentences are so long/complex that again, it is a little confusing. Some of them are seven lines or more and I would suggest breaking them up a bit. Like this one: Sergio – Sergio-B to be technically accurate (and his aide was nothing but) – turned grey eyes to his employer and rebutted him solemnly." As it reads right now, it is unclear on whether Sergio is the aide or if Sergio has an aide that is technically accurate. And if the next line shows him rebutting him solemnly, you don't necessarily need to tell us.

Great use of symbolism throughout.

"That’s it, dig it in a little deeper." seems to be thoughts I would attribute to the President, but not your POV character Zarate....

It's a little hard to know who's side we are supposed to be on (Zarate's or Tirso's).

"That was probably why he didn’t hear Villamayor’s warnings until it was too late." Seems just a bit too telly. I think it would be more dramatic a moment if you deleted it.

Who's Carmen? Second time she shows up in a blurb and it seems strange for us still not to know. I like this blurb though. Makes a lot more since than the first one.

You seem to want to delay naming your POV characters... I can see it as being a stylistic choice, but it annoyed me a little bit.

That's a fun twist, but I was unclear on what they actually accomplished at the end...

Overall Impression:
For one that generally dislikes short stories (because they are too short! ;) ) I saw a lot of potential in this one and it was a lot of fun. There are just so many little things that were confusing that made it harder to get through. I can see that you may be doing some of it on purpose, but you can only do it so much before it becomes a turn off. Just try to be a bit more conscious of it and unless you have a GOOD reason for leaving your audience in the dark, explain every new word and character shift right when it happens. Only other suggestion I would have is to show a bit more than you tell so you are telegraphing your action so much.
Great story! I'll be watching my Xeroxes very closely from now on.  :o
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »
Thanks so much for reading Frog :)

* I simplified the first blurb a bit. Also changed the title of the show from "Face to Face" to "Face to Face with Carmen" so at least readers will know its her show.

* Simplified some of the sentences in the first part and removed the "dig a little deeper" line

I'll try to simplify and "show" things more during my next edit - like you I'm more a novel guy than a short-story guy... but the market here is almost exclusively for short stories, so I've had to adapt a bit; not always an easy thing... the tendency to tell rather than show is probably a remnant of me still feeling a tad constrained by the form.

I'm really glad you thought it was fun though -- was afraid it'd be too dry. And yes, always watch your back around a Xerox. @_@

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 02:05:32 AM »
Ack! I was going to finish my critique of this manuscript but I noticed you said in your first post you were submitting it at the end of last week. That train has left the station...
Sorry I missed you. Next time hopefully I'll be a bit more prompt!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:04:57 AM »
No worries, thanks for making the effort :) Let's just cross our fingers that it get in ^_^

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »
Oh, when do you find out? I'll be crossing my fingers too! :D
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 01:37:56 AM »
I would say good luck, but hard work trumps luck every time.  You'll knock' em dead! ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »
Thanks guys ^_^ No set date for the announcement of the final list of stories for the special issue of the magazine, but I know they got my submission so now it's only a matter of waiting @_@

The good thing though is the anthology to which I sent one of my first stories to is finally being launched here at the end of March, so I'll content myself with that for the time being :P