Author Topic: One reason NOT to hate the French  (Read 4148 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: One reason NOT to hate the French
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2005, 09:09:06 AM »
"Motorcycle cop is a sweet nothing?"

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 11:50:51 AM »
I give up. I will probably always be one of those fantasy writers where magic just kind of happens, rather than being based on complex and cool rules.

I'm kind of halfway in between. And this is much more acceptable in children's, what with its ties to fairy tales, so I'm okay with that.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2005, 12:44:12 PM »
Yeah. It's just that I read Mistborn and get jealous and think, "How come I can't come up with a cool magic system like that?"

But I agree about the fairytale feel of children's/YA. And it isn't bad--it creates a different ambience. I guess I'm just starting to want to get away from cliches and write something "different" and an obvious way to do that would be to come up with a unique magic system.

Like I said, I'll keep trying. I'm still a fairly new writer, so it's okay if my stuff is a little cliche from time to time--I'm still learning.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2005, 03:40:24 PM »
CtrlZed could you actually post your NAME in the introduction thread like most other people have so we actually know who you are?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2005, 08:06:57 PM »
Chimera: I didn't have a problem with the magic system in your Aive story . . . I just wanted to see more of it!  Oh, by the way, I just got back from Island Park--we were picking huckleberries.  Didn't see any HB Rangers, though. :(

Ookla: Oops, I kinda left off my name.   Thanks for pointing that out.  I've updated that post.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2005, 12:46:46 AM »
:D
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2005, 12:55:47 AM »
I'd like to meet a Huckleberry Ranger from out of your Santa Spy story. They sounded so manly and tough.

EUOL and his family and I (all except for Spriggan, who doesn't count--at least today, because he called me crazy  :)) got Huckleberry Milkshakes when we were in Idaho and I commented to EUOL that perhaps the HB Rangers had picked them. He hadn't read enough of your story to find that as funny as I did.

But I will never be able to eat Huckleberries again without thinking of the hard-working, self-sacrificing, bear-wrestling HB Rangers. (A moment of silence, please.)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stu11926

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 03:34:03 AM »
I fully realize that this thread is nearly four years old, and I apologize for bringing it back to the top after so long...especially for my first post.  I stumbled across this thread while searching the forum for something.  I couldn't help but reply regarding one more reason to absolutely not hate the French.

Her name is Alizee and she is a Goddess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSxEjwXHcM

Edit:  Dirty Wastrel is right.  I'm having a "DOH!" moment as I'm getting around to the FAQ and realizing that with my first post on this forum I've broken one of the biggies!  My sincerest apologies.  I'll do better in the future!

Jonathan

THIRD ITEM: Â Don't resurrect old threads.
Newcomers will often scroll through the pages and pages of threads looking for ones that are interesting to them, then post a reply to each one. Â The result is that dozens of old topics--ones that the forum community is tired of discussing--suddenly pop back to the top of the thread-order. Â This annoys the established members. Â I would suggest that rather than looking through old threads, you pay attention to threads that have already been posted on today, and respond to them in an intelligent way. Â (Note--your post doesn't have to be brilliant to be worthy of posting. Â If it's your genuine opinion, it has value. Â Posting an 'intelligent way' means posting in a polite, on-topic manner.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:31:44 AM by stu11926 »