Author Topic: Technology awe.  (Read 3009 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Technology awe.
« on: November 10, 2004, 02:25:13 PM »
So what technology puts you in awe?

So I consider myself to be fairly comfortable with technology in general.  I ooo and ahh over the newest gadget inventions with the rest of the world, but consider this.

In our house, we have two desktop computers, two laptop computers.  We have a DSL internet connection and at work I have a T3 connection.  We own a digital camera, a cell phone, a digital drawing tablet, a CD burner, almost every gaming console ever created, two televisions and two VCRs (which let's face it, rarely get used), a digital voice recorder, .... you get the idea.

And yet every time I turn on the automatic ice maker in my freezer, I just stare in awe.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Technology awe.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 02:31:03 PM »
Here at work we have a coffee machine which makes individual cups of coffee, and then, when it's done brewing, launches the little cup of used grounds into the garbage.  I don't even drink coffee, but I love watching the thing.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 04:01:41 PM »
The little beeping sound my car makes when I leave the keys in the ignition or leave the lights on.  I'm grateful every time.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 10:15:11 PM »
Non-stick pans...so cool!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:28:17 PM »
calculators, not exactly a supercomputer, but I always think that someone had to have programmed all of the solutions in, and that they spent their life doing it. Makes me laugh.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 11:11:37 PM »
Copy machines... paper goes in, copy comes out..
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 11:23:46 PM »
I'd have to agree on the copy machine thing. They fascinate me. Kind of like photography, but nothing like it at all.

Also, photography. The old style, light through the lens exposing light-sensitive film, film projected to light-sensitive paper, etc.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 11:26:33 PM »
I agree with the non-stick pans, they're fascinating.
Also, dimmer bulbs.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 11:31:29 PM »
Speakers... the thought that someone sat and worked out the mathematical code to make something vibrate in the proper manner and sequence to generate the sound waves.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 11:43:13 PM »
It's odd. Most technology doesn't really awe me. Even HDTV doesn't awe me. I don't see this "higher quality" screen resolution that everyone talks about. The biggest awe to me are books. The thought that someone sat down and wrote all this for someone else to read and cherish, or hate, really draws me in.

Cellphones don't amaze because they're just extensions of cordless phones. Newspapers however do. The whole process of printing is really rather fascinating.

The only thing technology wise that will astound and astonish me is a cordless (wireless) monitor. Until I see one of those, I will not, no matter how much one tries, be impressed by technology.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »
zippers, velcro, and teflon are my friends. They are some of my very favorite inventions ever.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 01:41:45 AM »
what gets me about copy machines is that people totally take them for granted,... even though they are probably one of the more complex things in an office. They've been around so long and are so standard that most people couldnt get along in an office without them. Sure printers can send multiple jobs to multiple sources but its not the same as feeding a document in the top and having it come out sorted, coalated and stapled 70 times in a row..
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 04:54:22 PM »
So J.T. bought a laserdisc player at DI for $10.  Then he got a copy of the Toy Story box set.  So now we know it works.  I can't believe how large those things are.  Or how many movies are available on laserdisc.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 05:15:05 PM »
I'm not exactly 'awed' by it, but programming programs.  I mean, somebody sat down an programmed a program so that they could program a program.  Mwhahaha, entertainment.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 06:15:04 PM »
Fuzzy, my aunt and uncle have a laserdisc player. I loved that thing. It was so much nicer than video. I actually don't know if they still have it, but the discs themselves are quite expensive, I thought--which is what prompted DVD?--and they don't hold much. We often had to flip the disc over in the middle of a movie.

How does it compare to DVD? I'm curious.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing