Author Topic: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness  (Read 9196 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 09:06:20 PM »
Whoa, wait a sec. Ten magic systems? I knew there was 1o books, but....I hadn't heard the magic system thing...Wow. That's insane.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
Yeah, it will be intense.  I'm interested to see what EUOL comes up with.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
As I understand it, it's not like each magic system is a whole, complex system - it's more like powers or something.  Like the power to control the wind.  I don't really know though - it's all rumor at this point except for those in the inner circle.

Miyabi - yes, I'm around.  I lurk more than I post, these days.  I've been wondering, though, why you switched from green to purple font?  I might think you didn't want to be associated with Utopia, but he's long gone now.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »
*shrugs* I dunno.

I just decided that I wanted purple now.  Green and Purple are my favorite colors and purple wasn't getting enough attention.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 01:03:05 AM »
Really, once HoA came out and all my questions were answered, I just didnt have much else to say. I still need to read the WoT series, so until then I can't say much. This is actually the first time I've posted in a while. Once more of Brandon's books come out, we'll get some more crazy theorizin goin, I'm sure.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 05:45:02 AM »
In answer to you miyabi, my inactivity is due to several factors.

1) Lack of interest. There's only occasionally a topic on these boards that interests me these days. I post when I see something I find interesting, but I do most of my WOT theorizing on Dragonmount, and I really wasn't particularly interested in theorizing in anything else Brandon had written. If we start getting some interesting talk going about warbreaker, I'll happily start coming back more frequently, to post all my lengthy ideas.

2) Lack of Time - I'm going in to finals week, and I've  been pretty slammed for time with all the homework. So that's part of it as well.

3) Lack of Remembering to get on when I do have time - Kind of like # 1, since 1 prevents this, but is still is a problem.

4) (Occasionally) Inability to use computer - I have a large family, and people like to do things on the computer. Usually I can hop on my laptop, but occasionally my mom will decide I'm spending too much time on the computer and ban me from my laptop.

5) New Outlets for randomness - most of my posting that isn't theory-centered tends to be placed in the 'random' category. Last year when I joined, I only had one class at school where people would even act remotely random. Now, 4 out of my 5 classes have people who make random jokes and tell random stories for most of the class period, with teachers who let us talk. Hence, I don't feel the need to post randomly here as much since I'm randomly talking all day. That's probably one of the more confusing paragraphs I've ever written.

Side note, if you like meat, don't read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I haven't been able to comfortably eat meat for the last several days due to my own reading of it for US History. I can force it down, but it's not near as much fun. That sentence is also probably not very good grammar. hmmm.

Anyway, yes. WAY OF KINGS. That's what I'm most excited for. When they start coming out, it will be time for some serious theorizing. But I would also settle for the Second Mistborn Trilogy, Warbreaker, or even Dragonsteel (assuming we ever see more of it...). I'm also assuming that we'll get some sort of information about any of these. The problem is that we just don't have enough information about any of the new series coming out to really theorize on them.

As for comments on Way of Kings, when I talked to Brandon at a signing a while back, he said Ten Books, Ten Magic Systems. That's where that came from. He also may have told that to someone else, but me as well. He also did mention the fact that not all of the magic systems would be fully-developed systems like allomancy and feruchemy, but that some of them would be. Hence, I'm excited.

Other random side notes, anyone new who hasn't yet read the notes for Way of Kings on Amazon, go there. Now. Their hilarious. Then write your own. I'll even give you a link. The Way of Kings on Amazon. There.

But I'm now rambling, and this post is sufficiently long to satisfy my long-windedness. So I will now cease and desist.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19:40 AM »
ha ha.

I love the reviews.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
Brandon told me the same thing, except it was more like this: "There are ten heralds and ten magic systems, and ten really cool endings [big reveals/resolutions], so it has to be ten books."

The first version of Way of Kings had in it an Awakener character named Vasher. I assume the second version of the series will have neither Awakeners nor Vashers.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »
The first version of Way of Kings had in it an Awakener character named Vasher. I assume the second version of the series will have neither Awakeners nor Vashers.

Well, we would hope so....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the magic systems will work.  Having 10 magic systems sounds like alot if you propogate them through all the books. I found that having the 3 magic systems in Mistborn, while interesting, made it difficult to give them all the depth I would have liked.  We heard alot about allomancy, and feruchemy was covered enought to get the jist of it.  But I wish we could have gotton more detail about hemurlgy (I know I spelt that wrong but I don't have my books with me :()

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the magic systems will work.  Having 10 magic systems sounds like alot if you propogate them through all the books. I found that having the 3 magic systems in Mistborn, while interesting, made it difficult to give them all the depth I would have liked.  We heard alot about allomancy, and feruchemy was covered enought to get the jist of it.  But I wish we could have gotton more detail about hemurlgy (I know I spelt that wrong but I don't have my books with me :()

Brandon actually addressed this.  Most of the abilities in Hemalurgy are the same as the other two systems.  Hemalurgy is at its core the ability to steal other abilities.  Thus detailed descriptions of Allomancy and Feruchemy carry over to Hemalurgy with little modification.
Nature hates being reified.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
Now what would be cool would be a Hemalurgist made from Savants and from Feruchemists that focus on each ability!  That would be tight!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 04:35:32 AM »

You also have to consider, though, that Way of Kings will be 10 books long, not 3. 10 Books, and supposedly each falling into at least the category 'rather long.' It goes like this:

Short - Fewer than 150,000 words
Medium - Between 150,001 words and 250,000 words
Rather Long - 250,001 to 400,000 Words
Long-ish - 400,001 to 500,000 Words
Long - 500,001 words or more
Monstrous - more than 600,000 words (ie A Memory of Light, or at least I hope.)

But anyway, my point is that the books should each be plenty long, and so there should be plenty of time to expose you to different magic systems.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »
Quote from: SarahG
Miyabi, I miss the old theorizers too - it was fun being part of a community where everyone knew Chaos and Andrew liked writing long detailed posts, and everyone also knew that you hate facial hair and I hate Spook's dialect.  It made me want to keep coming back to see what my friends were talking about, and what cryptic Ookla post was making everybody tear out their hair.

Grah, that Ookla :P

I can write lengthy posts. I just have to be highly motivated, you know?

Way of Kings, with its massive scale, should be great for epic-sized posts. Maybe some of my epic-sized theories would even be right. Hahaha...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »
Quote from: SarahG
Miyabi, I miss the old theorizers too - it was fun being part of a community where everyone knew Chaos and Andrew liked writing long detailed posts, and everyone also knew that you hate facial hair and I hate Spook's dialect.  It made me want to keep coming back to see what my friends were talking about, and what cryptic Ookla post was making everybody tear out their hair.

Grah, that Ookla :P

I can write lengthy posts. I just have to be highly motivated, you know?

Way of Kings, with its massive scale, should be great for epic-sized posts. Maybe some of my epic-sized theories would even be right. Hahaha...

Ha ha.

How many of the ridiculous theories ended up being right?  I didn't happen to be around when there would have been an official counting of the postings of the rightness.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。