Author Topic: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness  (Read 9214 times)

Wolfstar

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:38 AM »
Ack, now I really, really see what you mean.  A faint hint of rumors on WoT and the front page explodes with a new crowd of people vigorously rehashing the same thought over and over about what it might mean.

Although, I guess calling it a 'faint hint of rumors' isn't quite accurate, seeing as Mr. Sanderson felt the need to approach it in his blog.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Wait a second.  With the rumor there is only one additional topic and that can be expected.  I actually expected more. The other two topics where already there.  The AMOL thread has been ongoing for some time with daily posts.  The splitting memory of light is just off topic as they are discussing the reproduction of fades.  Now next week when TOR releases information you may see the explosion of threads. 

Unless I missed something and the admin went and killed a bunch of threads I don't see any influx of WoT chatter.  It would be like saying you are getting a bunch of MB chatter whenever 1 new thread is started. 

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
Ok.

WoT topics:

Page one:

Page two:

After that there are only a couple each page.  I remember though when basically all of them were on the first page.

That was the original influx I was talking about.  I don't see that many new topics for this.  I am not looking forward to the week after JordanCon. ha ha.  That'll be crazy.  I assume they will double or triple.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
I think Miyabi you should be glad since Brandon is getting more attention due to WoT, a few Wot threads is a small price to ask in exchange for that. Just as soon as I get my hands on HoA I'll be able to actually post in more non-wot threads here. ;-)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
I think Miyabi you should be glad since Brandon is getting more attention due to WoT, a few Wot threads is a small price to ask in exchange for that. Just as soon as I get my hands on HoA I'll be able to actually post in more non-wot threads here. ;-)
I have said multiple times within this thread that I am glad that Brandon will be getting more attention.  When the topic was originally made I was simply frustrated with the lack of topics about Brandon's books.  I am glad that the Brandon topics will probably be even more talked in after WoT comes out and such.  ;]  I also started reading WoT, so I will probably end up being active in those topics soon enough anyway. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »
So then we can all be happy here I think, Brandon is a good writer and I trust him with WoT. So I have no problem getting into his other books when I have more time and money to do so. :)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
Wait a second.  With the rumor there is only one additional topic and that can be expected.  I actually expected more. The other two topics where already there.  The AMOL thread has been ongoing for some time with daily posts.  The splitting memory of light is just off topic as they are discussing the reproduction of fades.  Now next week when TOR releases information you may see the explosion of threads. 

Unless I missed something and the admin went and killed a bunch of threads I don't see any influx of WoT chatter.  It would be like saying you are getting a bunch of MB chatter whenever 1 new thread is started. 

No, it wasn't that a bunch of new threads had been started, it was that a bunch of old ones suddenly got bumps.  WoT really did take over the front page yesterday.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »
I read the Warbreaker spoiler on his website (ver 6.2) but of course it's not done.  I'd never read his work before and as one of many WoT types that are actively conspiring to hi-jack the channel, I felt it necessary to get to know his work.  Anyway I enjoyed what I saw of Warbreaker, however I'm a bit of a word junky.  I seldom buy a novel that is less than 350K words and generally avoid books that are magic system or new discovery driven instead of character driven. 

That's made it hard for me to get interested in Mistborne, because my perception is that it is more about the magic than the characters.  Maybe I'm wrong. I'd be happy to hear other perspectives as long as they are a bit more than, "no you're wrong" or "of course it's got characters, books have those."
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
That's made it hard for me to get interested in Mistborne, because my perception is that it is more about the magic than the characters.  Maybe I'm wrong. I'd be happy to hear other perspectives as long as they are a bit more than, "no you're wrong" or "of course it's got characters, books have those."
The magic system is important, yes, but it is far from the main focus of the series.  There are a fair number of "main character learning the magic system" scenes, but no more than necessary and there's a LOT more character interaction and plot.

Find a library copy and start reading.  Be aware that much of the learning-the-magic-system stuff is concentrated near the beginning, but once you get past the explanation of the basics it should be very much to your liking, and there's plenty of character focused stuff even mixed in with those scenes.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2009, 05:24:58 PM »
In my opinion, and note: it's biased because Brandon is my favorite author, the Mistborn books are probably some of the best when it comes to balancing characters and magic.  The magic system and the discovery of it becomes part of the character, but the characters also become themselves as well.  If that made any sense at all.  Give it a read, you'll never know unless you do.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »
i concur it is a great series and i only read it to get a feel for who was finishing WoT but he is fast becoming one of my favorite authors...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »
Ok, before you continue reading know that I AM glad that EUOL is getting more attention and becoming a more popular author, BUT:

2. The lack of the WoT threads actually being theory threads.  This new group is a totally different species of forum goers.  They just talk about what HAS happened and other things that relate to WoT (i.e. games) and none of it is argumentative debate.

Us WoT people have debated theory on what will happen in the next book since Knife of Dreams was released in '05. Even with a series of Biblical scope like WoT that's enough time to debate every plot thread a dozen times. We're all debated out. Once the prologue gets released online as it always does you'll see an explosion of theory threads.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
Besides if we start theorizing it will step on Miyabi's and the big C's read-throughs.

It's pretty impossible to defend a theory without citing the previous books. :P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »
Exactly we don't want to spoil those that are in the middle of reading this series.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2009, 02:51:46 AM »
Just so long as all the spoils are marked it'll all be just fine. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。