Author Topic: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness  (Read 9202 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Hum Drum Sad Pandaness
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:51:53 AM »
Ok, before you continue reading know that I AM glad that EUOL is getting more attention and becoming a more popular author, BUT:

I am sad with the Sanderson forums being over-run with WoT topics.  These are the reasons, numbered by importance to me.

1. (There's a tie for first.) The people.  I miss all of the old chatters.  I know at least some of them are still around, they have just all gone in hiding (some have stopped showing up) due to the lack of other topics and the large amount of WoT topics.)  I just miss their company.

1. I miss all the theory threads. (Yes, I realize I could write them, I'm just too lazy ATM and I don't feel they would get discussed too thoroughly.)

2. The lack of the WoT threads actually being theory threads.  This new group is a totally different species of forum goers.  They just talk about what HAS happened and other things that relate to WoT (i.e. games) and none of it is argumentative debate.

3. Waiting.  I know that eventually everything will get back to the way that it was, but I hate waiting for it. :/

Now that I am done ranting I think I might find some time to write up a Theory Thread the next Alcatraz book. . . I may have to skim through the other again, or reread them first though.

Anyway.  Thoughts?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Hum Drum Sad Pandaness
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »
Well, it is inevitable that more people will be flocking here. However, perhaps at some point some sort of sub-forum can be made for WoT? Just throwing the idea out there.  :)

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
My thought is that it PROBABLY won't get big enough for that.  Everyone will talk about it until a few months after it comes out, then it will die.

BUT, that is just my prediction.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:05 AM »
I'm sad that I joined late, so I missed all the theory talk. I totally would've participated in that....And I can't really say a whole lot about WoT, since I only got to the 5th book (I really need to finish them...). I've mostly been avoiding the WoT threads, to keep myself from getting too spoiled. And since this forum has been over-run with WoT threads, that leaves me mostly to looking at the other forums, which is sad 'cause I initially came here because of EUOL.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »
I should probably read those books.  I just haven't gone out and bought them yet.

Why?  Because I'm always broke.  ha ha.  For instance, this last paycheck I bought the Elantris books in Japanese.  Speaking of which they should be here tomorrow and I will take wonderful pictures of the art pages that are supposed to be in them and post them on here for you all to see and be jealous of.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
And I will definitely be jealous...

My dad owns all the WoT books, so it really would be easy for me to go re-start them. I mean, all it would take is for me to go downstairs and grab the first couple....Of course, I just took Eye of the World AND The Fires of Heaven from my room (FoH from the first time that I started and stopped about 3 years ago, and EotW from the time when I attempted to re-start them about a year ago) and put them downstairs, and I'm not to eager to bring either one back up quite yet. I don't like going into the spider-infested basement. It's cold and creepy....but I digress.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »
The aMoL thread is a debate thread about theories. Currently were talking about the Eye of the World and what the heck it was/is. The Wot Help thread is watching JoeC read the WoT Series. I haven't seen any other WoT threads.

I would participate in the BS theory threads but I don't want to be spoiled for the third Mistborn book so I've been careful about it. We Woters ARE a theory debating type. I would tell you more but that's a spoiler, it's just that SO much as happened in that series.

There's also a Harry Potter thread here as well, there's also Game of Stones and the EA games threads but those aren't story related threads.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:25:07 PM by Shard »
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
I think part of the problem with the theory posts is that the last book of mistborn is now out so that lowers your options for theory posts.  They will pick up when Brandon starts writing a new series and we have more to theorize on.  I have not read the Alcatraz book so can not theorize on that.   There are only a few threads on WoT at the moment though.  There are just not a lot of new threads being posted so everyone is following them.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
There's not much to theorize about for Brandon's own works right now, and Wheel of Time theorizing has been done to death elsewhere for quite some time, to the point of a rather extensive and detailed FAQ being put together.  Just about every even halfway plausible theory about anything remotely significant in the series is listed and analyzed in depth there to the point where there's really not much left to talk about that isn't just repeating things.  The WoTFAQ (just google it) has not been updated for Knife of Dreams, but that one book only adds so much to speculate about.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
I think part of the problem with the theory posts is that the last book of mistborn is now out so that lowers your options for theory posts.  They will pick up when Brandon starts writing a new series and we have more to theorize on.  I have not read the Alcatraz book so can not theorize on that.   There are only a few threads on WoT at the moment though.  There are just not a lot of new threads being posted so everyone is following them.
But there is the second Warbreaker book, the third Alcatraz book, and the second Mistborn trilogy.  So, there is plenty to discuss.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
Miyabi, I miss the old theorizers too - it was fun being part of a community where everyone knew Chaos and Andrew liked writing long detailed posts, and everyone also knew that you hate facial hair and I hate Spook's dialect.  It made me want to keep coming back to see what my friends were talking about, and what cryptic Ookla post was making everybody tear out their hair.  It made me want to participate, to think of worthwhile ideas to contribute.

Personally, I just can't think of much I'm interested in theorizing about for Warbreaker or Alcatraz.  There just don't seem to be as many dangling mysteries in those worlds - at least, not ones I care about.  Feel free to start some topics and try to change my mind, though.  :-)
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
OMG it's SARAH!

-glompageness-

Ok. . . now that I got that out of my system.

I think I'll do a quick reread of Warbreaker and start a theory thread for that one.  Maybe get some theories going.  I don't think Alcatraz theories would last long.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
I think the theorizing for Warbreaker might start up when Brandon starts posting Annotations for it. At the moment, we know there are loose ends in the book, but we don't have any idea which direction they're going in.

And I wouldn't worry too much, miyabi. I'm sure most if not all the old posters and theorizing will come back with Way of Kings, and with the possible second Mistborn trilogy. It'd be good to have a few theories about Warbreaker though.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
I only read warbreaker the one time but it had such a finalized ending it was easy to take as a single novel and not a series.  There is just so much open for what he can do now so it will be interesting.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
Yeah.  I can't wait for that series to start coming out!  Ten books and ten magic systems. . . wow!  That will definitely be one that will have a lot of theory threads.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。