Author Topic: 3-2-09 maxonennis  (Read 1811 times)

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
3-2-09 maxonennis
« on: March 02, 2009, 03:49:02 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and put up a thread now so I don't have to wake up early tomorrow (I'm not a morning person).

I have several questions for readers about the story. I would ask that you read the submission before reading the questions (I don’t want them to influence your responses).

Question one: the characters are none gender, did it feel to you as if one or the other belonged to a set gender? And if it did, which one?

Question two: An’Nainin has, obviously, just become animated. An’ has some child like personality aspects such as curiosity and being unable to think outside of the present. Did you feel this is overdone, or out of place?

Question three: Did the characters feel genuine? Did they feel correct to you?

Question four: Did I over use the Japanese words? (I read way too much manga…)

Feel free to mention anything else that caught your eye, but these are my biggest concerns. Thanks!
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: 3-2-09 maxonennis
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and clarify something before anyone asks.

1. Yes, the first tongue is Japanese, but for the most part only nouns and verbs.

2. Akachan is incorrect. I believe it should be aka-chan, but I thought it looked better all together.

Hogosha paused and then started talking once more in my own tongue. “Shihai , ascendancy. Reaching the next form of existence.”

I didn't say it in text, but there are two Japanese words for ascendancy and Hogosha used the second one (which I can't remember) right after Shihai in this line.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:33:51 AM »
Q1: I guess now that I think about it I can't remember you actually giving a set gender, but to me An'Nainin seemed male and Hogosha, female.
Q2: The curiosity...maybe overdone. To me it seemed basically the whole point of this "chapter". If you added much more I would say overdone. I didn't even notice the bit about being unable to think outside the present, so you did a good job on that!
Q3: The characters felt very real to me. I loved how you described Hogosha's various expressions.
Q4: I would say that you do not want to be forced to give definitions to unknown words by means of footnotes. I think most people will probably know san and sama, or will figure it out a couple chapters in. Some of the rest can easily be given; the definition of Hogosha can be pretty seamlessly woven in and once we know that, we get the general idea of what An'Nainin means. For the rest...I suppose its your choice, but I would try to avoid giving the definitions by way of footnotes.

I screamed as my body cut through the air, falling as the world I had just become aware of became a blur.   
Good sentence but the become --> became is distracting.

The seconds becoming years, the regrets coming to the surface of your conscious, and the pain of lost times.   
nice!

. I suppose I lacked the comprehension to have regrets, or I had no experiences to regret, or I landed too soon.
I laughed.

As I howled in agony, I noticed my dry throat and sore stomach.
I noticed you've been giving us a lot of sensory details. Good job! But some of them seem placed oddly. Not really sure why.

I thought I should mention here that the first few paragraphs seem like a flashback, with the future An'Nainin giving us commentary on what is happening, then you jump right into child An'Nainin. Except you didn't really let us know what was going on. For me the drool came out of nowhere. I had no idea the character had just been "born" or whatever.
Also some of your descriptions seem really odd. After the fact, knowing that your character is a child experiencing the world for the first time, I can see where you were going, but that just makes them seem more odd.

The liquid was clear, and I realized that it had come from my own mouth. Its gaping state had allowed the liquid free.
I don't think a child would describe it like this.

The branch, as thick as my arm at its base, white and sinewy was connected on the tips to wide, flat, black planes: leafs.
This also seemed a bit odd. Maybe use simpler words, ie take out "sinewy" and "planes". And also its "leaves" not leafs lol  :D

because I’m speaking in the Toshiue  tongue you can’t understand me.” It shook its head.
This was also a bit confusing at first. You tell us what Hogosha was saying, but not the viewpoint character. It was a bit odd.

Overall great job! You kept me interested throughout. If you are tackling your story from the perspective of someone with the experiences of a child but the body of an adult it will be fascinating! I can't really think of too many stories done from that point of view. The closest thing I can think of was the movie Island. I am very interested to see your actual story!!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:50:07 AM »
This is prewriting, so I tend to jump back and forth with how long after this encounter An'Nainin wrote this, thus he now knows what Hogosha said then. But it is awkward relaying it this way.

Something I'm trying to get across is that they are "born" as adults. They have an adult level ability to absorb and apply knowledge. Because if this An’Nainin is already slowly picking up Hogosha’s language, and a few customs along the way. For that same reason Hogosha is trying to hurry An’Nainin back to their grounds so that it can be immediately put into classes for the specialty that “they” want him to study.

The creatures are also born with the physical attributes of an adult (that’s if you don’t count ascension, as I don’t).

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
Since you say this is prewriting, I won't be getting too nitpicky, but overall, the scene keep my interest and I liked our narrator.  And now to your questions:

Q1: Yes, I did assign genders to them as I read but I don't know if it was because anything you did or my own stubborn mind set that seems to think all characters/creatures should have genders. An'Nainin, Male and Hogosha, Female.

Q2: I noticed that s/he/it had child-like personality traits. I didn't think they were overdone though.

Q3: Characters were fine. I liked them.

Q4: Japanese was fine, but I would suggest finding subtler ways to explain them then footnotes. They annoyed me a little bit. And all the different 'tongues' confused me a bit too (the references to switching from first tongue to another tongue and whatnot.)

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:23:26 AM by Frog »
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
Q4: Japanese was fine, but I would suggest finding subtler ways to explain them then footnotes. They annoyed me a little bit. And all the different 'tongues' confused me a bit too (the references to switching from first tongue to another tongue and whatnot.)

Yeah, I wouldn't use footnotes if it had been the real story, but I thought it would be best in this situation. As for the flipping back and forth between languages, I've yet to decide how I wanted to relay that to the readers without coming out and saying it. If you guys have any suggestions, let me know. Hogosha has ascended once already, and its mouth has developed in a way that makes it difficult to speak the first tongue, so it uses it uses the first tongue sparingly and only when it absolutely has to.

As for genders...I think it will take me a long time before I get them down. Luckily I've already gotten used to referring to them as "it's" rather than he/she.

Oh, and Frog, QP is on my desk waiting to be read this weekend. I bought a crate of coffee, and set aside all prior appointments in hopes that I might be able to read the entire thing this weekend.  :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:16:45 PM by maxonennis »

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
As for genders...I think it will take me a long time before I get them down. Luckily I've already gotten used to referring to them as "it's" rather than he/she.
Well ... except when you slip up and show that you do think of An'Nainin as male ...

For that same reason Hogosha is trying to hurry An’Nainin back to their grounds so that it can be immediately put into classes for the specialty that “they” want him to study.
(emphasis added)
He ate my horse.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
Well ... except when you slip up and show that you do think of An'Nainin as male ...

For that same reason Hogosha is trying to hurry An’Nainin back to their grounds so that it can be immediately put into classes for the specialty that “they” want him to study.
(emphasis added)

Yes, but I wrote that two weeks ago  :P. By now I've got it.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
Yes, but I wrote that two weeks ago  :P. By now I've got it.

March 3 was two weeks ago?  Guess I missed the time warp.   :)

No, seriously, good for you if you can pull off the genderless-character thing.  It's an interesting concept that should make for quite a writing challenge.
He ate my horse.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:33:45 PM »
Oh, and Frog, QP is on my desk waiting to be read this weekend. I bought a crate of coffee, and set aside all prior appointments in hopes that I might be able to read the entire thing this weekend.  :P
Wow, that does sound serious. Please don't hurt yourself on my account. :)
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.