Author Topic: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'  (Read 28475 times)

Rezo

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: On Feruchemical 'Mistings'
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »
One thing to keep in mind when coming up with these names is that the Allomantic misting names are mostly slang, which is often bases around wordplay and popular concepts.  So don't try to make them too cerebral or specific.  It's not about what it actually does as much as it is about what people think it does.

Yeah, but the people in the next possible Mistborn will have much more knowledge about "what it does", because Mistings will be much more common. And don't forget about the scientific researches that will be already done on the topic - it would be an urban world after all.
So that takes away all the mistic aura around feruchemy and allomancy.
Of course that people will use slang names, but we should think of scientific names as well.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2010, 03:10:12 AM »
We should come up with a sweet name for allomantic-furchemists.

Allomists? Furchemantic? Fallochemantists? Chemist?

What do you guys think?

Allochemist, perhaps. :)

Hibron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
I am an allochemist, and I practice allochemy!  :D Sounds a lot like alchemy. I kind of like the terminology that was suggested at the beginning of this thread

cromptj

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
On the iron stores Higgs Bosons theory, in practice it would not work because Sazed clearly describes himself falling more slowly when he stores his weight, therefore it must be distorting/storing the effects of gravity as a more massive Sazed would fall at the same rate as a less massive Sazed.

ulysses sword

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2011, 12:43:12 AM »
On the iron stores Higgs Bosons theory, in practice it would not work because Sazed clearly describes himself falling more slowly when he stores his weight, therefore it must be distorting/storing the effects of gravity as a more massive Sazed would fall at the same rate as a less massive Sazed.

That would be true...if the world had no atmosphere.  To prove this to yourself, drop a cannonball (high mass) and a balloon (same shape/size, low mass) side by side, and see how fast they fall.  Also, in Sazed and Marsh's fight, he also stopped himself from being pushed backwards using stored mass, which gravity could not do.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
It's been stated (by Peter I think, correct me if I'm wrong here) in another discussion on the time-manipulating metals that that universe is not our universe. Which means that while their physics may look similar to ours, they may still be fundamentally different. This may be a cheap answer, but in the end it means we shouldn't try to analyze the deeper physical effects too much - it'll work however Brandon wants it to work. And the simple reason is: "That's how things work there..."