Author Topic: Need help identifying a SF book...  (Read 3174 times)

CStroman

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Need help identifying a SF book...
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:52:46 AM »
I'm new here so be gentle.

I have a lame "shot in the dark" request so bear with me.

A SF/Fantasy bookworm friend of mine (who devours books quicker than a pig at a banquet) read a sci-fi book that he says was one of his favorite's or at least a very good read. When he told me about it close to a year ago, I was intrigued. It was more about character and story than gadgetry. Anywho, I forgot about it for a while but I recently wanted to make an effort to acquire it before I forgot about it completely. So I asked him about what it was called, etc. and he doesn't remember....anything. He didn't even know what I was talking about.

So, I'm going to just see if anyone else can help and if I can remember a few details.

The book was actually 2 books in one. About a girl, woman, empress or something I think named Cassandra (or a name like that) and her lover/husband. If I remember right the second book takes place later and may have been about their children or something like that .

I remember the paperback book had a painting of this Cassandra person sitting on a throne and in the background was her mustachioed, swashbuckling lover. They were garbed in Victorian Renaissance type clothing.

I know it's not much to go on, but heck, if the guy that told me about it can't even remember it, I dunno.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying a SF book...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:59:54 AM »
Do you remember if it was older (80's), or something newer?
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

CStroman

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:12:03 AM »
I think it was an older title and from the looks of the cover and that it was two books in one paperback, I'm assuming that it was a good time after their original release.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
Sounds vaugely like Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. If you haven't read it READ IT because those books are awesome--this edition is two books in one. There are several sequels about her son Miles, and I love all those books as well. The cover looks like fantasy, but it's actually sci-fi.

Actually, read anything by her. She's one of my favorite authors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:10:59 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »
Not what I was expecting the answer to be, but it's remotely possible especially given that cover (I wouldn't have called Aral swashbuckling, but he did kill two rivals in duels). Shards of Honor (the first half of the Cordelia's Honor omnibus) is one of my favorite books of all time, and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. The end makes me cry every time. And Barrayar (the 2nd book) is quite awesome as well—I love the "shopping in the capital" scene. And of course the Miles books are fantastic.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:49:43 AM »
Shards of Honor (the first half of the Cordelia's Honor omnibus) is one of my favorite books of all time, and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. The end makes me cry every time.

The end of Barrayar is the one that gets me. 
~금강산도 식후경~

CStroman

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:29:11 AM »
THAT'S IT!!! Thanks SOOOO much! I recognize the cover!

How old is it? Give me your thoughts/opinions (no spoilers please as I haven't read it yet and it's way down on my "to read" list).

Thanks again SOOO, SOOO MUCH!

Cassandra = Cordelia. I was kinda close.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Shards of Honor was published in 1986 and Barrayar in 1991 (it won the Hugo).  The Cordelia's Honor omnibus came out in 1999.

Here's a bit I wrote on my blog a while back:  "Lois McMaster Bujold writes science fiction and fantasy and is best known for her Miles Vorkosigan series, which you could describe as space opera, but very good space opera. The 'science' is mostly social and biological, with a few space battles thrown in for good measure. They're very character-driven, thoughtful, touching, at times very funny. And just so well-written."
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
Lois read a couple chapters from the next Miles book at Worldcon. It was very cool (except she had almost lost her voice). Miles goes up against rich cryogenically frozen dead people.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »
THAT'S IT!!! Thanks SOOOO much! I recognize the cover!

How old is it? Give me your thoughts/opinions (no spoilers please as I haven't read it yet and it's way down on my "to read" list).

Thanks again SOOO, SOOO MUCH!

Cassandra = Cordelia. I was kinda close.

The first time I read your question I was like, "What the heck? Doesn't sound like any book I know." But I actually have that copy and glanced at it in my bookshelf the other day and it hit me that was probably the book you were talking about. Glad I put the pieces together for you. Her books should be on anyone's "to read" list.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

CStroman

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 03:55:22 AM »
Thanks again. You guys are great! I think I'll still stick with Cougarboard for BYU football but this may be one of my new places to hand around.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:29:02 AM »
Wow I am incredibly impressed you were able to find it! First try too! Huzzah! Bravo! Drinks all around!!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
"My mother went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag." 
~금강산도 식후경~