Author Topic: So, how's it going?  (Read 2322 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
So, how's it going?
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
It occurs to me that it's been a little while since we've switched to the once-a-week system of submissions. Do people still prefer doing things this way? Other suggestions? What about our newer members, what do you guys think?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: So, how's it going?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:44:27 PM »
It has caused me to write more.  I finally hit 10k words.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Hamster

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
yeah, I like it like this, I got past 12k words for the first time with any sort of writing. Once a week is good.
Thanks for asking  :)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »
Woo, milestones! Congrats both.

Yeah, that's part of what I'm wanting to hear.  Some people joined because they wanted the impetus to keep writing - are we keeping you sufficiently motivated? Are you getting enough critiques? How do you feel about the submission volume? Etc.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »
Actually I got nothing this week so far as critiques go.  Then again, I was a day late submitting because I couldn't find my jump drive. >>
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:30 AM »
@ Miyabi: I am putting it up right now! Patience is a virtue, my friend. :P

Anyway, I'm still good but it seems to me that we've lost some people (in critiquing and submitting) and it makes me sad because I'm sure people want to hear from smarter people than me when they post their stuff. You know I do. ;).
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »
I've been falling behind...:( I actually missed critiqueing a submission last week, and I haven't done anything this week so far. I got started on Pipe's, but then I got interupted and I haven't looked at it again since...
And I wrote something for the first time in at least two weeks, that wasn't polishing up what I have already written. Part of it is that I got some new books from the library but most of it is just me being lazy. Hopefully I will get to everyone soon and start submitting again myself!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:49:23 AM »
@ Miyabi: I am putting it up right now! Patience is a virtue, my friend. :P

Anyway, I'm still good but it seems to me that we've lost some people (in critiquing and submitting) and it makes me sad because I'm sure people want to hear from smarter people than me when they post their stuff. You know I do. ;).

Yeah, ha ha.  I assumed it was just because I was late sending out  the emails. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »
Right now, this is perfect for me.
I can handle about 3-5 critiques a week at the most.  That appears to be what we're getting.

I like to submit roughly once a month, personally. That's plenty of incentive for me to write, allows me to stay ahead of the game, and also focus on going back to revise and polish stuff before I submit it.

So as long as this pace keeps up, I'm good.

Oh, and the feedback I've received has been great! Especially the tough constructive feedback.  (Yes, Frog, I'm looking at you! heh heh) 

I agree with Frog.  I'd actually like to see more people critiquing.  Maybe we should ask the Writing Excuses team to mention this group on their podcast again?

J
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:18:02 AM »
Hey! I refuse to believe I am the toughest critic you have. Maybe the most obnoxious, but I'm certain you deserve it!  :P
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:20 AM »
You're not the toughest. I just haven't had time to crit lately. ;)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:39 AM »
So far I like how everything is going as well.  And I have to agree that it's sad we had so many drop outs.  Bummer. :'(

Life has interfeared lately and I haven't been submitting as much, nor critiquing, but when things stabilize I should be good to go again.  I hope.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 03:52:47 AM »
I like the new system, although I haven't had time to critique recently between cramming "Imitation" and hectic activity at work. Since I'm submitting "Imitation" on Saturday, I'll have more time to critique. :)

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
Well. I'll put it this way: I have no objections to the current system.

Sadly, I've been one of the folks sidelined by real life, and have had no time for writing, reading or critiquing. I'm hoping in the next month to no longer have to work overtime every weekend.

There are several of the stories that I started reading, and hope someday to get caught up on. Eventually...
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 03:42:02 AM »
Well, I have been busy seeing as how I am a senior in college. I haven't had time to critique nearly as much as I should since I also have to critique my class mates in one of my English classes. At least midterms are over so I should be able to start doing the right thing again come next week.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.