Poll

Which team would win in a fight?

Elantrian/Dakhor
Mistborn/Feruchemist

Author Topic: Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*  (Read 18733 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris vs. Mistborn *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 03:06:35 AM »
I love how we're putting statistical analysis to hypothetical outliers within a fictional universe. x.x ha ha.

I definitely think a Monk could win the fight if he had the proper training.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »
It's very true. However, there are some frames of reference to judge by.

For example, Dilaf gives us the information that every one of his monks has the strength of a hundred men. That is the equivalent of fifty-ish Koloss, plus enhanced speed and other miscellaneous abilities. That would make for a very dangerous melee fighter, and the only way I see a Mistborn killing one is with a lot of duralumin and pewter, or some atium. A Feruchemist could probably kill one monk with ease, though, as he tapped all his metalminds to 120 times normal abilities.  He would only have a few brief moments, but during that time he could crush a monk with ease.

So if the Feruchemist is going to take down the monk, that only leaves the Allomancer to take on the Elantrian. Without Atium or temporal external metals to work with, any hope for the Mistborn lies in either their greater mobility or ending the fight quickly. Mobility is a key factor, because the Elantrian would remain pinned close to Elantris, whereas the Mistborn could rove freely,  perhaps drawing their opponent to a location where Aons have weaker effects. If that was not an option, probably the best bet for the Allomancer would be to burn duralumin, steel, pewter, and zinc/brass all at once, moving towards the enemy at a rapid pace while hopefully disrupting any Aon creation for a few seconds with crushing emotional pressure. If a Mistborn got into close-quarters with an Elantrian, I would have no doubts they could win a one-on-one fight.

Now suppose either the Mistborn or the Feruchemist were to sacrifice themselves, allowing the other to Hemalurgically endow themselves? That would form a Lord Ruler-esque creation, allowing the surviving member to both Allomantically burn and Feruchemically fill one metal. But which metal to choose? A Feruchemist who can burn Steel? A Mistborn with Mental Speed augmentation? They would have to face both a Dakhor monk and an Elantrian alone, so it would have to count. Maybe a Gold-healing Mistborn?
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »
Doesn't Sazed mention how Feruchemy can only stretch so far without damaging the user because if it does then the monk pwns his ass.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
I think he does that anyway.  :D

Quick random question: can women be monks?? (In BS's story; not the real world (  :P ).)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
Quick random question: can women be monks?? (In BS's story; not the real world (  :P ).)

I don't know.  As far as I know we haven't seen any.  However, judging by Warbreaker, Sanderson seems to think "monk" is a gender-neutral term.
He ate my horse.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
That depends on the society Brandon has created. Fjorden seems to me more likely to be militantly patriarchal.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »
Ookla, I agree that it's likely Fjorden monks were all male.  My point was that Sanderson has no difficulty in using the English word "monk" to describe women, so that in itself would be no argument.  (Not that anyone was actually making that argument, but I might have been tempted to do so if it weren't for the Warbreaker monks.)
He ate my horse.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »
I've noticed a number of people trying to alter monk into a gender neutral term.  I have a feeling both, nuns and monks would be disturbed by this.  Maybe I'll wander down the street to the priory and ask.  I'd go next door to the convent but they are skittish over there.  Seldom see them unless they are speeding away in their white minivan.  Heh, imagine 5 nuns in a minivan.  It's a riot.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
Renoard, who's doing that other than EUOL?  His gender-neutral usage of "monk" bothered me mainly because I hadn't seen that usage elsewhere, so it seemed like a mistake to me.  I have no problem with words changing meanings - that's what words do - but until the new meaning becomes common, it seems like a misuse.

And I don't get what's funny about a minivan full of nuns.  Do you think they ought to be using horse-drawn carriages?  Or a Pope-mobile?  Or should they not be leaving their convent at all?
He ate my horse.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »
@ Renoard Imagine 9 midgets in a white mini van living out of the Travel Lodge in Albuquerque its awesome! They are hispanic and no-one in my troop understood what they said because of the speed in which they were speaking, like soccer announcers.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:58 AM »
This Travelodge,  it wasn't being run by Glenda the good was it?  Come to think of it, Sleepy Bear's cap and gown look a little like the habit of those nuns. . .
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
It may be, though i doubt it we were in the hot tub and a couple started having sex in the pool rather discomforting...

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
Well that's weird.  ;D
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 01:30:40 PM »
completely ignoring the last five or so (and increasingly off-topic) posts, here's basically what it comes down to:

Whatever it was that dilaf did when he destroyed the aon that acted as raoden's disguise: can he use that power against mistborn/feruchemists?  can all monks do that?

if he has some kind of anti-magic that will neutralise the mistborn, then there's no question that the mistborn win, even with atium.

[edit:] actually, thinking about it, the elantrians win given enough preparation.

if it is assumed that the feruchemist is given time to store attributes for the fight, then the elantrian should also be given the preparatory time to apply sheild aons to his clothing, explosive aons to a handful of rocks, light aons to blind a tineye: basically prepare an aresenal of aon-equipped weaponry.

OK, now i want to change my vote.  elantrians win.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:34:19 PM by AGrey »
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 01:47:43 AM »
The Dakhor could just provide a distraction while the Elantrian drew an Aon to blow the Allomancer away. They then proceed to kill the Feruchemist. Elantrian/Dakhor takes this.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?