Author Topic: What is YOUR Writing Process?  (Read 2987 times)

jwdenzel

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
Re: What is YOUR Writing Process?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 06:07:04 AM »
For me, it all starts with the characters.   

The good ones usually show up in my head and stare at me until I decide to keep them.   I'll kick things around in my head for a couple of years  (yes, years. I tend to be slow like that. Maybe I'll get faster as I gain more experience in writing and story-telling in general),  listen to a lot of music that "sounds like them", and generally just let them reveal their stories to me in their own time.

Once I've soaked up "the feel" of a character for a while, I'll try to puzzle out what the most interesting story about them would be. What would be the most important part of their life?  What would the worst possible situation for them to be in?  I find that interesting/horrible situation, and then put them in it.  Then make it worse.

I outline.  Lots of bullet points.  I re-arrange things as I go.

Then I write.  I am finding that if I put TOO much detail in my outline for a given chapter, it falls flat.   I need to free-flow for my prose to work.  As long as I know generally what the chapters about, I can make it work.

And most importantly, I make sure my main character arcs are SET and WORKING before I write anything. 

That's just me.  I have yet to finish a novel, so... we'll see if it actually works!

One more thing.   I'm a firm believer that stories are not created.  They all live out there -- somewhere -- in the ether, and its just my job as a storyteller to prepare myself in such a way that I am able to hear them tell themselves.  It's my job to "tune" my aentenna -- so to speak--  to their frequency.   Once I hear the story, I need to translate that to words or to film or whatever.    That translation is where the craft of learning to write, or the craft of filmmaking, comes into play.

I know that sounds hokey, possibly even pretentious.  But it's a very real thing to me. I've found that shifting my brain to think this way has made a big difference in the quality of my stories and writing. 

These are not my stories. I just write them.
(Huh. That's going into my signature. Starting....now)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:18:48 AM by jwdenzel »
These are not my stories. I just write them.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 06:15:30 AM »
I always think in terms of standalone novels, not series, and as a result I spend as little time as possible world building (I hate it...which is an odd thing to say for someone who writes fantasy). I get in, tell my story, and get out with as little a mess as possible. Also, I like to think that my characters are the big attraction point of my stories, so I put them front stage and try to let them shine.

But most of what I write (which I just recently found out belongs in a sub genre called "literary fantasy" via google search) is highly experimental and unorthodox. That's a double edged sword, while I come up with a lot of original ideas, it takes me longer to get them onto paper in a form that is ready to be seen by others, and the audiences that I’m writing towards are far smaller than most others on the board.

And I apologies for all the typos on my last post on this thread…I was in a hurry and didn’t have time to look it over (I can see about six of them with a brief glance, ouch!).
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
The only honest man among us!  ;D

Deckacards, my good man! Can I call you Deck? Y'see, Deck, I've got this wonderful deal on a bridge you might be interested in! Honest!
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »
Cue more "for only $50, I can tell you how to avoid people like [reading excuses member]" remarks.

deckacards

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • iPursue
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
hehe...my point is just that if I was completely honest...much of my writing process ACTUALLY consists of wrestling with myself to actually sit down and put fingers to keyboard...

But...in my head...I have a plan ;)
Um...imagine a cool Signature HERE...and it shall be so...