Author Topic: The house is COLD!  (Read 1806 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
The house is COLD!
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:37:43 PM »
So I went to bed today as my wife was getting ready for work, which is what I do when I work nights,... when I woke up sometime around 1ish the house was so cold that the water in the glass next to my bedside had a thin film of ice in it. Up until today we had resisted turning on the heat, for both monetary reasons and physical universal laws... Law one was that we live on the top floor of a 4 story building and the heat from the apartments below usually filters up making the house quite livable if you throw on a light jacket or sweatshirt. Law two is that dust in our heater (which sits for long periods unused) usually sets off the smoke detector unless we call the super and wait for a day so they can come round and clean out the filter.
Today it was just too cold to do any of that. So i turned the heat on,... gradually. Im up to 56 in the apartment, and now the heater is cranking out  90 degree air (so it will warm up soon) so Im beginning to be comfortable. Still my comfort zone is around 76-78 and today would be a good day to exceed that I think... I want to feel a little toasty if I can. After all it is the Christmas season...

Maybe I'll throw elf on the DVD Player and unlock the fireplace video (logs burning and the like) and just nap in front of the fire for a bit.

Anyhow,... my feet are freezing.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: The house is COLD!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:51:16 PM »
We don't have control of the heat in our house, so we're usually either roasting or freezing. You just never know. Currently, I'm roasting in a t-shirt. Which makes it very hard to dress for going outside. If I get distracted with something in the house, a sweater makes me even more warm.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:41:45 PM »
Since we moved into the old house which has rather high ceilings and big rooms it's pretty cold too.  Bought a space heater fan for the bedroom, which is the only way I can stand to turn the heater down at night.

And it's not even that COLD in Utah right now.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:54:54 PM »
My apartment has a wonderful radiator system that makes the place the perfect temputure most of the time. The only problems is that the controls to the boiler are tempermental. Every once and while they act up, but for the most part I'm now a big fan of radiator floorboards over furnaces.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:58:04 PM »
it's downright freezing around here. Especially if you have to feel the wind. The wind is heinous.

THe basement where I sleep is always cold, but i was thinking, what with the new windows put in, it'd be a little better. But it's not. if anything, it's less comfortable. A fact i can only blame on the fact that winter has come in force.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 10:25:50 PM »
Same here. My roommate just came out and said that it's -10 outside.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 10:53:50 PM »
Its times like this I miss my Dorm room at UNCG, it had a radiator you could cook noodles on when it was off, and god help you if you turned it on... I still remember having girls over in the steam room...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 11:42:24 PM »
My dad likes to keep the house temp. between 63 and 68. So, if you're not bundled with a blanket when your in the living room, you'll be mightily cold after a while.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 09:14:01 AM »
ah yes. the radiator. Ahhh... I have not a single memory of ever being cold in Greensboro.