Author Topic: 1-26-09 Reaves: Crystalheart chapter Six  (Read 2952 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
1-26-09 Reaves: Crystalheart chapter Six
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
      Once again thanks for commenting! Tear it to shreds! My thoughts below:

I do like this chapter. I think it turned out fairly well; at least, much better than the fiasco that was chapter 5 :)

Unfortunately, we've already got some continuity issues; I say something like it was the peak of the dry season, though it was raining heavily in chapter 3. After jwdenzel suggested I do some research (imagine: research!) I found out that although extremely heavy rains can occur in the desert, they are rare. So ignore that little inconsistency; it will be fixed later.

I like Ilis' scene in this chapter. This is the last we see of her for a bit, but don't worry; she'll be back.

Question: did that little paragraph blurb about the boy named Marlin stand out enough that you will remember the name? He comes back later and actually turns into a semi-major character. All I really need right now though is that you recognize the name and know that he is about 10 years old.

Also, for those of you who said that you didn't like the little blurb in italics at the top of each chapter, rest assured; this is the last. Back when I was writing this, I realized that the blurbs weren't the important part; I had more productive things to do with my time.

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Frog

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
Re: 1-26-09 Reaves: Crystalheart chapter Six
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
Thoughts While Reading:
"It had left him as usual: beaten. Battered. Broken.
   Soulless."
Nice... but if he hardly thought of it, why are you emphasizing it?

"Abruptly Aermyst realized Tristan seemed older than he looked."
Wha..? How did he seem that way, if not by how he looked?

Okay, so now he goes to the barber. Interesting.

Great descriptions in this section overall.

"Aermyst spoke calmly. What else could he do? "I have friends there, who I believe might be able to help me." True enough."
I think this dialogue could have stood alone... or at least with less qualifiers.

And we learn how crystalhearts make money! *Happy dance*

Wow, you killed off her whole family with a letter? That's rather abrupt. Why does she live so far away from them?

""I thought we broke up," she mumbled."
 Were they ever really together? If so, that got to be the fastest relationship in the history books.... Since you seem to want to rush into their romance, I might suggest making it seem like Aermyst knew Ilis before the book started. Just a suggestion.

""I miss them!" she cried."
The 'I'll never see them again' shock is very understandable, but this line seems a little odd seeing as she already was separated from them.

And now we're done. Quick transitions with Ilis seems to be a bit of a habit for you...

Tristan! What is he doing here? And why did it take Aermyst so long to find him if they are on the same caravan?

Oh, I guess you tried to answer those questions. Yep, Tristan is creepy! :D

Yes! I get to give you a taste of your own medicine. If he's been to Londalis many times before, I think you are creating a lot of false suspense in your description of it.

Some of the dialogue seems a bit off here... can't really say why, it just doesn't seem natural for whatever reason, but then again he is talking to Tristan, so maybe it is supposed to be a little odd.

Hmm... something suspicious going on there with Risk.

Overall impression:
Okay, much better then last time. Story is moving pretty well now, so let's just go through your questions and be done with it.

Ilis better be back or we wasted a lot of time worrying about her. ;)

Hmm... I think I might remember the kid you are talking about, but yeah, he does kind of get lost in a big block of other descriptions. Shouldn't be too big of deal though if you throw him in another time or two before he does anything way significant.

Ding Dong the blurb is dead. Thank you! :D

Good work!
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:25:24 AM »
Well, there is a reason I rarely review your submissions (I enjoy your story too much and end up missing a meal for reading it). I must say that by now I would find Tristian just plain creepy if I was in your MC's place. That's just my paranoria but hey.
Aside from emphaising it like Frog said, I think you used the word soulless a few too many times in the story too.
Well, boy meets girl, boy looses girl, boy goes off to far away city while girl mourns the loss of her entire family. Who are you Nicholas Sparks?
I think Marlin's scene is enough to find and remember if he appears again if it's withina a chapter or two. Otherwise people might start to forget.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:02:29 AM »
Sand panthers: six limbed. Feline. Possessed of more teeth, fangs, and claws than any self-respecting animal could ever want or need. They traveled in packs throughout the desert, although they generally stayed on the opposite side of the Dule river to the northeast.

I don’t know is this intentional or not but…  Your panther is almost exactly like
Jennifer Roberson’s Sand Tigers in her Tiger and Del novel’s (Sword Singer—Sword Born).  FYI.

… in a few days, leaving early.

If he knows they’re leaving early that day; he would probably know the exact day.

He kicked at the sand at his feet, sending tiny entrails scurrying into the air to join the gusts that swirled around him.

Where did the guts come from?  entrails

It was complete instinct that found Aermyst clutching the grip of his new-forged sword, slung at his hip.

After the conversation, this didn’t really work for me.  I could see him play-acting, but why grip his sword if nothing was going to attack.  Maybe if he was wary or something but not on instinct, unless his instinct was wrong.

“The muscles remember. Do something long enough, and eventually it becomes habit. What did you say happened to that friend of yours?"

Great line!  I like how that cleared up a problem with the Forms.

As for Marlin…  His name is memorable enough (Merlin) to remember him later on, might forget he’s ten, but I’ll remember him.

I really like your story, and I’m still pulling for Aermyst.  But the scene with Ilis didn’t work for me.  I can’t put my finger on it just yet; it’s more a feeling than anything right now.  I’ll work on it and get back to you.  Can’t wait for your next submission.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:20:29 AM by Necroben »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:29:19 AM »
Thoughts While Reading:
   Soulless."
This is a major part of his character. I wanted to remind everyone of that, while still justifying the fact that he hasn't been thinking about it much in previous chapters  :D Did it really stand out as out of place?
good question. I don't know.

He's supposed to have that air, you know? I guess I need to go a bit more in-depth on this. Its just a tiny bit of foreshadowing.
wait, really?  :D I originally had a complete scene with the barber, some dialogue, etc. but it really didn't add anything and I thought it was pretty boring. Should I put it back in? Oh well, I'm pretty sure I already deleted all that  :P

"Aermyst spoke calmly. What else could he do? "I have friends there, who I believe might be able to help me." True enough."
I think this dialogue could have stood alone... or at least with less qualifiers.
I wavered back and forth on this. I really didn't know how to say what I was trying to say...thanks. This helps me.

Wow, you killed off her whole family with a letter? That's rather abrupt. Why does she live so far away from them?
good question. I really don't know. Is it that unusual in circa middle ages? I'm basically clueless, I didn't think it would be an issue...
""I thought we broke up," she mumbled."
 Were they ever really together? If so, that got to be the fastest relationship in the history books.... Since you seem to want to rush into their romance, I might suggest making it seem like Aermyst knew Ilis before the book started. Just a suggestion.
Their romance is practically a high-school thing. They knew each other for like three weeks. It's basically Aermyst trying to fill the hole left by Dantes (no they weren't gay, just really close friends  :D)
The thing about them knowing each other from before...That is actually a really good idea. And it completely fits. They were both neighbors in Caradel, though neither of them knew it; in case you didn't catch it, Aermyst's family is pretty rich, while Ilis' was pretty poor, but not dirt poor. Once Ilis eventually makes it to Caradel this will be an issue :)
Yep, Tristan is creepy! :D
you have good instincts :) He is supposed to be a bit weird, but not neccesarily creepy. He's got quite a history...

man. I feel like I definitely described Tristan much better here than in previous chapters, but he is still just a bit off. I actually don't want him to be creepy...

Yes! I get to give you a taste of your own medicine. If he's been to Londalis many times before, I think you are creating a lot of false suspense in your description of it.
lol. I'll take that into account :)

Hmm... something suspicious going on there with Risk.
again, you have good instincts :)
Thanks for the comments!

Sand panthers: six limbed. Feline. Possessed of more teeth, fangs, and claws than any self-respecting animal could ever want or need. They traveled in packs throughout the desert, although they generally stayed on the opposite side of the Dule river to the northeast.

I don’t know is this intentional or not but…  Your panther is almost exactly like
Jennifer Roberson’s Sand Tigers in her Tiger and Del novel’s (Sword Singer—Sword Born).  FYI.
huh. Never heard of her. Do you think enough people have that it will be an issue? What exactly are her tigers like? Specifically, are they more intelligent than you would normally expect an animal to be?

It was complete instinct that found Aermyst clutching the grip of his new-forged sword, slung at his hip.
After the conversation, this didn’t really work for me.  I could see him play-acting, but why grip his sword if nothing was going to attack.  Maybe if he was wary or something but not on instinct, unless his instinct was wrong.

Initially I was going to have Aermyst say something like, "hopefully we won't be attacked by raiders" and then Tristan grin and say something like, "keep your eyes open Aermyst," but I thought it would be hammering the whole raider thing in a little too far. I felt like I mentioned them enough already and didn't want to bludgeon you. Yes, you are supposed to think that they will be attacked by raiders, and no, its probably not what you think. And even if it is what you think, there are enough major plot twists that you'll be surprised anyway :)

I really like your story, and I’m still pulling for Aermyst.  But the scene with Ilis didn’t work for me.  I can’t put my finger on it just yet; it’s more a feeling than anything right now.  I’ll work on it and get back to you. 

Aarrrrgh!! I really liked that scene!! Why must you dash my hopes so...please do get back to me. Her character is very important to me.

Thanks for the critiques guys. Lots of great thoughts and ideas, you guys are great!
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 03:04:02 AM »
Just to clarify some things...

Thoughts While Reading:
   Soulless."
This is a major part of his character. I wanted to remind everyone of that, while still justifying the fact that he hasn't been thinking about it much in previous chapters  :D Did it really stand out as out of place?
Only because of the paragraph after it when he was saying he hardly thought of it/noticed it, but yeah, Carter was right, you do use soulless a lot. Maybe you could find another way to express the same idea?

good question. I don't know.

He's supposed to have that air, you know? I guess I need to go a bit more in-depth on this. Its just a tiny bit of foreshadowing.
Maybe you could just discribe the aspect of him that seemed old. A look in his eyes? A slow/stiff way of talking/moving? A specific physical feature?

wait, really?  :D I originally had a complete scene with the barber, some dialogue, etc. but it really didn't add anything and I thought it was pretty boring. Should I put it back in? Oh well, I'm pretty sure I already deleted all that  :P
I meant it was interesting that he was so willing to go to a barber now when he was so intent on avoiding it last night and went to Ilis instead.

good question. I really don't know. Is it that unusual in circa middle ages? I'm basically clueless, I didn't think it would be an issue...
For a poorer female you might have to justify it somehow. People in the middle ages often stayed in the same town their whole lives because traveling just wasn't as feasible as it is today.

you guys are great!
Hey! You stole my line! J/k, glad it helps.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:22:14 AM »
…but it really didn't add anything and I thought it was pretty boring. Should I put it back in?

Sometimes a scene like that can add a lot to a story because it can be familiar.  When you pick that one thing to explain the heck out of, it gives you license to gloss over something else to leave it with an air of mystery.  Granted, I might not do it so well, but it’s worth thinking about.

Specifically, are they more intelligent than you would normally expect an animal to be?

No not really.  They have short tawny fur, six legs, green eyes, and eat people among other things.  They also tend to be solitary unless they have cubs.  I don’t know how many others might have read her books or even remember the sand tigers though.

Initially I was going to have Aermyst say something like, "hopefully we won't be attacked by raiders" and then Tristan grin and say something like, "keep your eyes open Aermyst," but I thought it would be hammering the whole raider thing in a little too far.

Probably, but he could just nod or something.  It’s more of a personal preference than anything, I was expecting something right then and there.  When nothing happened it was more of a let down than anything.

Her character is very important to me.

She was a little too angry to have given up her story that soon.  A little more finesse and smooth talking on his part would help.  Or just plain honesty.  More of his own personal anguish, maybe.  But them having a shared history (rich boy, poor girl) would be great to show in that scene.  I had no idea that Aermyst was from the same city, wouldn’t he be just as concerned about the attack/raid or what ever that killed all her family?  It sound rather wide spread.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:01 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications! Actually Caradel is the country they are from, but there is no way you could have known that. I haven't named the city or township because honestly I haven't decided on the name...
yeah. Caradel is a fairly big country, so there is no reason for Aermyst to be worried about his own family.

To Frog: ahh, now I understand what you meant about the barber being interesting  :P Sarcasm, that's original. ...wait a second...  :D  ;) He didn't know where the barber was. His crew had its own, and he's never needed to know where the Hallastan barbers lived. I'll go back and add something to that effect in. While I'm at it, I'll probably rewrite the entire chapter :)

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
Jumping in at Chapter 6 after having read your summary. Here goes:

* I think your prose is good - clean and unforced. You seem to know how to put in those "impact" statements (i.e. "He was not a morning person;" " It seemed a man could grow used to anything, in time;" " She wept for a long time.") that can make prose more than just monotonous narration.
* I did get an info-dump vibe from two parts though - the expositions on the sand panthers and the raiders. Maybe preface the information with a reaction to the mention/thought of each? Sort of like you do with the segue into the description of Londalis, which was much better.
* As for the scene with Ilis, I'll go into a bit of detail since you seem to want more feedback on it:
- I found the use of the term 'break up' odd - I'm not sure, but isn't this a modern term?
- I think you got a lot of things right: the snapping with intentional hurtful remarks, the repetition of meaningless phrases for comfort ("I know... I know");
- What was a bit off about it for me was that it seemed... too clean. Too pat. I don't know your characters as well as the others (we're new acquaintances after all ^_^) but if two people have a history and feelings for each other and are both under a lot of stress - sparks tend to fly. Aermyst seemed almost too solicitous and nice, and Ilis a bit too willing to forgive him when - as a killer - at that moment he would stand for exactly what she would feel is wrong with the world. I understand that she'd cry on his shoulder in a moment of weakness, but I suppose I was expecting her to lash out afterward when he said that he too, in effect, was leaving her.

~~~

Moving on, here are couple of minor bits that didn't quite work for me:
Morning light flowed in from a pair of windows directly in front of him, greeting him with their brightness.

- I know brightness is a word and I know what you're trying to say but somehow it didn't quite sound right to me.

predaciously

- Maybe "Predatorily"?

If you still want, I'll mark you down as Irillion."

- Since Aermyst introduced himself as Irillion, what else would he be marked down as?

"I would indeed," replied Aermyst amiably. "Coincidentally, this very caravan is traveling there this instant! Imagine my shock and surprise!" Really, the man could be quite irritating at times.

- A bit confused as to who said the statement starting with "Coincidentally..." by form it would e Aermyst but it sounds more like Tristan.

smiling that face of his.

- I just pictured a mouth that had a face. *shudders*

Tristan only smiled; a friendly, chilling smile. "Keep your eyes open, Aermyst."

- With regard to the first, I just can't see how a smile can be both friendly and chilling. If its meant to be paradoxical (something to the effect that the smile seemed friendly, but Aermyst nevertheless felt a chill) maybe it might help if that were a bit clearer...

~~~

All in all a really good, polished job I think. Thanks for sharing!

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »
To Frog: ahh, now I understand what you meant about the barber being interesting  :P Sarcasm, that's original. ...wait a second...  :D  ;) He didn't know where the barber was. His crew had its own, and he's never needed to know where the Hallastan barbers lived. I'll go back and add something to that effect in. While I'm at it, I'll probably rewrite the entire chapter :)
Sorry... Sometimes my attempts at being clever leave a lot to be desired. I can't say it won't happen again, but I'll try to be better about warning you next time.  :)

deckacards

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • iPursue
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »
Sadly, I have just joined the group, so starting with Chapter Six puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to reviewing story elements...so...I'll try to stick primarily to writing...now...LET'S GET PICKY WITH IT!!!

1) For the most part, you write well. You clearly make an effort to communicate your character's experience and environment, and you give the reader a chance to enter the world and scene you've created before demanding they run around in it.

2) Be careful with the sense of drama (or, as I like to call them, the "Bum, bum, BUMMM! moments")...you overuse it a bit in the chapter. I counted up to 8 occurrences of a one-line paragraph seemingly intended to communicate a sense of drama to the reader. That typically only works once in a chapter. After that, the reader feels as if they are expected to board a roller coaster of dramatic moments and just refuses to ride the ride all together.

3) You write good characters. You clearly know who they are and have a sense of where they've been.

4) What is "nonpain"?

5) If you meantion a room and then describe your character walking by the room, no need to mention the room again.
The library. As Aermyst passed the door to the library, he glanced in.
Just cut out the second occurrence of the word "library."

6) Is "predaciously" a word?

7) When Aermyst is trying to book passage, you wrote the following:
Aermyst spoke calmly. What else could he do? "I have friends there, who I believe might be able to help me." True enough.

The "who I believe might be able to help me" doesn't seem to fit the character/situation. Aermyst seems to want to maintain a bit of privacy about his reasons for travelling. To say "who I believe might be able to help me" without saying what they would help him with BEGS a person to ask a question and pry. I think Aermyst would only say, "I have friends there" or "I'm visiting some friends." Then, if the man asks "Hmph. Friends, is it? Only type of friends I know in that area is crystalhearts and thieves...which type might you be?" then it makes him seem more suspicious and nosy of Aermyst.

8) There are a few times (maybe 2 or 3 times a page..?) where you have a good sentence, and then you go just a bit too far. It makes the sentence sound a bit top-heavy. For example:
Her eyes closed against the flood of tears that threatened to overwhelm her reserve.

Now, that is a very subtle and minor example, but the word "reserve" is not necessary. It only adds to the weight of the sentence.

9) I hope you take this the right way...but the entire exchange between Aermyst and Ilis made the characters sound...well...out of character. They sounded as if they belonged in a teen romance novel.

10) At one point, you say, "Aermyst gasped."  I say this with as much sincerety as I can muster...dudes don't "gasp." Experiment with a few different ways for him to show surprise...typically, men go silent and internalize about what they just heard...what do they do? how do they help? how could it have happened? Saying he "gasped" makes him sound like...um...a hairdresser.

11) Remember to use realistic verbs...
She almost snarled,"What?" but forced a smile
...people don't actually "snarl" anything...they say things with a snarl, or they say something and then snarl, or they snarl and then say something, or they just snarl...but snarling is a specific action/sound that does not include verbals. All that to say, the best lesson I ever learned in one of my creative writing classes was not to fear the word "said." A poster on another thread stated this...the word "said" can rarely be overused because it is almost "invisible" to the reader.

12) Teen romance moment:
I thought we broke up
  I would find a different way to say this...a grown woman saying "we broke up" sounds like she just lost her date to the prom. A grown woman is definitive...and doesn't typically say "broke up"...

13) You have a long paragraph about the guards...it reminds me of paragraphs I write when i keep thinking of ways what I just wrote may not be feasable...I start rambling, trying to communicate the answer to every question that might come up in that paragraph. Instead, just take a moment, think of all the problems, come up with a simple answer, and write that. Even something as simple as, "Based on their scars and swaggers, the guards had more than a few secrets to tell. They could handle themselves. It was his own neck Aermyst was worried about."

14) Be careful sub-consciously duplicating famous scenes from other sources. The scene at the end between Risk and Aermyst literally screams "Han Solo and Luke Skywalker aboard the Falcon in Star Wars."

15) FINALLY, the end of my long-winded criticism...mostly. I really think you need to ask yourself what the point of the chapter is for you and Aermyst. If it is just to get him from point A to point B in his travels, then you need more. If it is to show him with his sword, then more of that...somehow. If it is to discuss Ilis' parents, etc....then much more of that...but the chapter seems to cover a lot of small things/scenes but nothing really seems to be the point of the chapter. Think of each chapter like a short story...a slice-of-life moment in the character's story...why tell THAT moment in a story?

Overall, you have a good story (as much as I've read of it...) with mostly rich characters (Ilis was a bit one-dimensional...). Things are happening, your characters interact well...but I would say that your best moments in the chapter are when you are writing the bladework scene with the forms. Spend a lot of time asking yourself why THAT scene is your best...and can you use the reason you come up with to better your writing?

Good job, Reaves!!! I enjoyed it.
Um...imagine a cool Signature HERE...and it shall be so...

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »
After jwdenzel suggested I do some research (imagine: research!) I found out that...

:o :o :o :o
Somebody listened to me?  Reaves... can you PLEASE talk to my kids....?

Feedback on this chapter soon
;-)
J

These are not my stories. I just write them.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »
Regarding the blurbs at the top of each chapter... I actually enjoy them.  And this one in chapter 6 was the best yet IMO.  For those things to work, they generally need to hint at the contents of the chapter.   The original DUNE novels are a great example of good blurbing.  I used to say it was THE BEST example, but then I read the MISTBORN series.  Brandon rocked those things, and they directly tied to the story and presented their own mystery as well.  Brilliant.  Copy him. LOL

When Aermyst looks in the library and sees Tristian, why does he keep walking?  I don't know about you, but if I suddenly saw a guy who -- just a few days before -- I'd been chasing around the city, I wouldn't jus grunt "good morning" and keep walking. Also, character motivations aside, as a reader, I want Aermyst to talk to him again.

I had a thought:  what if Aermyst lost all his money?  Right now, it seems too easy for him and he has no apparent lack for funds.  By taking his money away (maybe he was robbed or cheated by the banker?) you add instant conflict.  And conflict, as we all know from our REDING EXCUSES forum, is what makes your fantasy world go 'round.  If you ever want a great example of how being poor makes for great conflict and tension, go read NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss.  (Who was a guest one week on Writing Excuses)  If he lost his money:  he could have an interesting scene with the barber... he could possibly have added tension with Illis ... he would now be in debt to the banker (which is only fun in fiction) ... he'd have to find other interesting places to sleep.  Etc.   Just think it over. :)

"Fresh from Alatar," the bombastic man declared, although the poor state of the oranges belied his statement.

:o Good thesaurus use.  I'm impressed. :)

Sand panthers: six limbed. Feline.

We already know their felines. They're panthers.

There would have been a time when Aermyst could have made the three-week long journey himself, fearing no enemy. That time had vanished, along with his soul.

Great stuff. Keep it coming.

You refer to the common language as, well, "Common."  Personally, I always feel like that is too D&D-ish.  I know other (non-D&D) fantasy writers use it, but I can't help but get the sense that they didn't really bother to think of anything more elaborate.  Language is always steeped in history.  Even if you don't reveal that history here, consider giving the language a name that hints at something larger.

The dry and dusty leagues passed slowly behind the caravan; camels, the desert beast of burden, traveled slowly. Their only redeeming feature seemed to be their ability to store water for days on end. Other than that they were as ugly as they were stupid. Their long, muley faces never changed; their dull, flinty eyes stared at the world around them with little variance.

Took me two reads of that paragraph to realize you were refering to the camels.  The way its phrased up front was a little ambiguous.

Overall, still too many conjunctions starting sentences.  ("And so he danced."  Great imagery.  It's weakened by the way you start the sentence IMO.   I don't like to be the conjunction police, but it's really repetitive. Consider doing a pass on your chapters just to look for them and try alternative approaches.

The best part of this chapter was when Risk tries to recruit Aermyst.  I loved that scene.  Especially the part in which Risk says that his group looks after their own first, and Aermyst thinks: "But you're the guards!"  LOL  So true.  Nicely done.

So yeah, you're right: this is a step in the right direction after chapter 5.  Overall, this chapter is still pretty passive.  There's a lot of fat in here that is begging to be trimmed.  Look for ways to make Aermyst's life even more of a misery (maybe Iilis dumps him and kicks him out of the store, rather than letting him go so easily?).

And I want to see those 6 legged "feline" panthers attack! ;-)    (Notice how I started that sentence.... LOL...)

J
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »
8) There are a few times (maybe 2 or 3 times a page..?) where you have a good sentence, and then you go just a bit too far. It makes the sentence sound a bit top-heavy. For example:
Her eyes closed against the flood of tears that threatened to overwhelm her reserve.

Now, that is a very subtle and minor example, but the word "reserve" is not necessary. It only adds to the weight of the sentence.
Thanks, thats a great point! I've been noticing recently that some of my sentences are a little heavy,  but I didn't really know why. You picked it out right away!
9) I hope you take this the right way...but the entire exchange between Aermyst and Ilis made the characters sound...well...out of character. They sounded as if they belonged in a teen romance novel.
lol yeah, I've noticed that myself. Not only because of this scene.
10) At one point, you say, "Aermyst gasped."  I say this with as much sincerety as I can muster...dudes don't "gasp." Experiment with a few different ways for him to show surprise...typically, men go silent and internalize about what they just heard...what do they do? how do they help? how could it have happened? Saying he "gasped" makes him sound like...um...a hairdresser.
I can't believe I kept that in! I basically put it in as a placeholder, I didn't really know what to give him. I wanted him to respond somehow, and I wanted it to be a little more involved than said. I'll take another look at it.

14) Be careful sub-consciously duplicating famous scenes from other sources. The scene at the end between Risk and Aermyst literally screams "Han Solo and Luke Skywalker aboard the Falcon in Star Wars."
When I first read this I was like wait. What? Star Wars? But now that I think about it its scary how right you are...

Thanks for the critique, you have some great points and suggestions!
Insert Quote
Regarding the blurbs at the top of each chapter... I actually enjoy them.  And this one in chapter 6 was the best yet IMO.  For those things to work, they generally need to hint at the contents of the chapter.   The original DUNE novels are a great example of good blurbing.  I used to say it was THE BEST example, but then I read the MISTBORN series.  Brandon rocked those things, and they directly tied to the story and presented their own mystery as well.  Brilliant.  Copy him. LOL
Alright, I'll definitely consider it. Almost all of the blurbs so far actually have been related to the chapter somehow, some of them only by a thread :P

"Fresh from Alatar," the bombastic man declared, although the poor state of the oranges belied his statement.
  Good thesaurus use.  I'm impressed.
No thesaurus. That was all me!  :o I'll get around to thesaurus-ing my work eventually...I swear...

You refer to the common language as, well, "Common."  Personally, I always feel like that is too D&D-ish.  I know other (non-D&D) fantasy writers use it, but I can't help but get the sense that they didn't really bother to think of anything more elaborate.  Language is always steeped in history.  Even if you don't reveal that history here, consider giving the language a name that hints at something larger.
Never played D&D, but you're right. I didn't bother to think of anything more elaborate. I'll figure something out.

The best part of this chapter was when Risk tries to recruit Aermyst.  I loved that scene.  Especially the part in which Risk says that his group looks after their own first, and Aermyst thinks: "But you're the guards!"  LOL  So true.  Nicely done.
That is a huge encouragement to me. I went back and rewrote that scene a couple days ago; that means my writing is improving!!!

Thanks for another in-depth critique, its really appreciated!

EDIT: As for the felines...hold on. We'll get there. xD
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:42:38 PM by Reaves »

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
You mentioned right at the beginning of the chapter that Aermyst wasn't going to leave his room unarmed again after the previous night. Why exactly did he leave his room unarmed in the first place? I hadn't even considered that before you mentioned it, so I was expecting an explanation to follow.

In the scene where Ilis learns of her parents' deaths you went completely over the top with the said-bookisms. You have her mumbling, growling, crying and offering in direct succession. I found that especially distracting because you stayed well clear of them in all the previous chapters.

In response to you question, for families to live very far apart was highly uncommon in medieval times. You have to keep in mind that for them to be far away from their family, they need to have traveled there somehow, and roads weren't exactly safe, horses weren't cheap, and walking wasn't... uh... a cakewalk. Your setting in the middle of a desert (where settlements would be even farther apart and the chance of there being waystations where one could rest and purchase new supplies would be slim). Of course the ancient civilisation could have left superior infrastructure in place.

Anyway, I thought the caravan scene was very entertaining, particularly the banter between Aermyst and Tristan. A bit of comic relief is never amiss.

If I had to guess at what happens next, I'd say that the caravan will be attacked by raiders who have struck a deal with Risk and his crew. And then maybe one side attempts to double-cross the other. Risk definitely doesn't seem like a trustworthy character.