Author Topic: Sex and sexuality in the Mistborn series...missing?  (Read 39192 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Sex and sexuality in the Mistborn series...missing?
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty neat place. They offer advanced Latin courses up through 12th grade. There's also a bunch of other classics languages and modern languages like Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, Greek, Chinese, and some others that I know I'm forgetting. It's great for us language guys.  8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »
The trilogy wasn't about romance, and sex, or anything like that. It was about the heist, and the seige, and the destruction of Ruin.

well, lets not get carried away. Book 2 has an amazing romantic tension to it. Sazed's sections in this regard were great, and that bit carried his entire plotline into book 3. But yes, the main themes are the heist, martyrdom, and "bad guy won." The romantic themes were pretty mellow.  I mean, who cares if if Elend thinks Vin has sexy legs every 3rd chapter when they have Inquisitors trying to hack them to bits. I just dont think this was the right story for much more romance.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »
If you check closely enough, there is some sexuality in there, or have you all forgotten the look on Spook's face when Vin comes back from a ball wearing only her shift?  As for the older men, when they first find Vin, she is a scrawny waif, and they all begin to think of her as a daughter or niece.  They just didn't see her that way.  Besides, they were all anti-noble, and it isn't a long leap to accept that they were all fairly pious as another way to be different from the deviant nobility.  
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2009, 10:40:15 PM »
I think that's more appreciation (and an accident) than active sexuality…I think. But what do I know?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
well, lets not get carried away.

Oh, obviously there was romance in it, but that wasn't one of the main points of the whole trilogy. WoA is no doubt the one with the most romance/sexual tension. But even in that one, the siege itself and the politics of the whole thing was MUCH more important.

I just dont think this was the right story for much more romance.

Precisely. The sexuality is more prevalent in Warbreaker, which is a story where it definitely had its place.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
The sexuality is more prevalent in Warbreaker, which is a story where it definitely had its place.
And in WoT.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
I haven't finished WoT. I got to I think it was Fires of Heaven a couple years ago and I stopped reading. For a lame reason....Haven't really got back to them. And since BS is just finishing the last book, I'm not really going to use the WoT to show that he knows how to use sexual tension, and when it has a place and when it just doesn't fit in the book as well...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Cynewulf

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »
The thing that bothers me is a perceived tone to some of your responses. They can seem condescending and rude. this just seems like endless bickering using reworded arguments. I participated, so im just as guilty as the rest, but there's no point to it anymore.

It is probably due to my lack of contractions and abbreviation. I have a deeply ingrained fear that if I start writing in conversational styles in places such as this, I will start doing so in my written work, as well. Some people, I have found, tend to perceive it as condescension or pompousness when others write with some small measure of formality. Why, I do not know.

On the other hand, a bit of nerve or edge is always a way to make a discussion more interesting, as one of the moral chieftains of this board, Ookla, also knows very well. If I use this board as a pulpit, I am certainly not the only one. I seem to remember him rather provocatively saying something quite categorical about "buying into the lies of present-day society", or some such. There is a lot of essentialism and axiological load in those few words.

As to the literary work in question here, I certainly think Elend with some advantage could have noticed the shape of one of Vin's body parts in a chapter where he was not doing anything perilous. Again, it seems like an oversight not to have Elend - or Vin, for that matter - reflect on these things in a work that spans more than fifteen hundred pages. I guess Elend does at times think to himself that Vin looks "stunning" in one of her dresses, and that is something. We all know what is meant by it, but the way it is expressed in the books seems to innocent and "young adult" to me.

Still, it is good to see that themes such as these are more prevalent in other works by Mr. Sanderson. I feared for some time that this sanitation was somehow related to his personal beliefs, to some idea that it was sinful (what do I know?) to put such things on paper for others to read. I hope he knows that internal observations about various people's calves, bosoms and shoulders is an important part of Robert Jordan's narrative style.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
Shoulders? Really? I never noticed that.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »
Cyne, I highly recommend you read Warbreaker. Go to Brandon's website and you'll be able to download one of the versions of it.....Lightsong. That's all I'm going to say....:D

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
Is Warbreaker a series?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
I think I heard Brandon will probably write a sequel to it later, but right now it's just one book. I'm pretty sure it's being published this year. June I think, but you can find a bunch of different versions of it on his site. It's deliciously good.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2009, 10:57:31 PM »
Thanks I'll have to check it out if my English teacher ever lets me.  ;D
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
You can get it right now....Brandon's got downloadable versions of it on his site. The highest version is 6.1 I think (maybe 6.0)...I haven't read that one. I've got it on my laptop, but the one I read was version 4.2....(there are different versions because he wanted to show the development of the work as he wrote it, so you can see the different drafts).

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
Still, it is good to see that themes such as these are more prevalent in other works by Mr. Sanderson. I feared for some time that this sanitation was somehow related to his personal beliefs, to some idea that it was sinful (what do I know?) to put such things on paper for others to read. I hope he knows that internal observations about various people's calves, bosoms and shoulders is an important part of Robert Jordan's narrative style.

oh they most definitely are.  Brandon's big thing is that he want everything to be helping the plot and story along. In Mistborn, I just dont think it would have added much. It doesnt have to do with his personal religion, its more of a "does this actually fit here?" kind of thing.  Just remember, more sexuality (in any form) doesn't make a story better or more realistic just because it is there. I still maintain there needs to be a plot-centric point to it all.

As for the YA feel, I 'm not sure I completely agree. I mean, YA isnt tame. In fact it is often way worse than adult stuff. It's all in the context.

As for WoT, of course he will be faithful to the Jordan-style observations. He has mentioned it before, and he actually mentioned it to be over dinner once (we have general discussions on the place of sex in novels periodically).  Have no fear.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:09:25 PM by Used to be an Important Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/