Author Topic: 2 - 9 - 09 - jwdenzel - The Gates of Heaven: Ch. 2 - Ch. 3  (Read 2899 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 2 - 9 - 09 - jwdenzel - The Gates of Heaven: Ch. 2 - Ch. 3
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 03:46:44 AM »
I just wanted to reassure you I will read this. I've been miserably sick all week and its been a chore to summon the brain power to intelligently read anything...hopefully I'll get around to this soon.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

jwdenzel

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 04:09:17 AM »
Hey Reaves  -- No worries.  Hope you feel better!

(But I bet you don't feel as crappy as Aric does by the end of chapter 3!)  ;-)

These are not my stories. I just write them.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
Yessss!! I finally got a chance to read it, and boy was it worth it. Your writing was great as always.

It wasn't an issue in the first chapter, but now I am starting to wonder how these people heard of the Seven Islands in the first place. 1) its a big sea. How did the rumors make it across? and 2) you would think the fact that they are floating in the sky would be one of the first things people would talk about.

There was a bit of confusion when Aric is visiting the Admiral. At first we had assumed Aric was the highest-ranking officer in the fleet, but then it says he strode in when he was called? Then later we find out that actually Aric is the highest ranking officer. I would just take out the "when he was called" bit.

Laudney seems like a fully realized character with his own personality. I like it. Also, I'm interested in this guy's agenda.

I was a little confused. Laudney calls Aric a seasoned warlord, but then later on Aric says there was no question who was more experienced, meaning Laudney. I think there might be a bit of confusion on Aric's background. Is he experienced or not?

Before them, on the burning edge of the horizon, the final sliver of the sun set, bathing the world in thick, violet darkness. Aric shivered.

Amazing descriptions and imagery! I love it!

You might want to consider giving your ships more religious-sounding names. The Legendary Inferno is cool, I guess, but it doesn't really say anything about the culture or the people that built it. Except that maybe they like legends. Just a thought.

And while we are talking about ships, I just want to warn you. You should probably do a lot of research on ships and sailing. I recently read Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and he did copious amounts of research on ships for that. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually went out of the house and talked with real-life rope-and-canvas sailors. Obviously you don't have to do that but you should consider adding in some nautical terms somewhere along the line.  Also it might give you some opportunities for conflict that you wouldn't have had if you didn't research.

Very nice scene when Aric is underwater, btw. Its something where it could easily be very confusing to describe, but you talked us through it nice and easy without losing any of the urgency or confusion that Aric was actually feeling. Nice.

Great manuscript over all. You had a few typos but other than that it was remarkably clean. The story is moving along nicely and you've given us more glimpses into Aric's character, especially with the underwater scene, great job btw. Thanks for sharing!
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
Hi Reaves,

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback.  I appreciate it.

There was a bit of confusion when Aric is visiting the Admiral.

My intent was to show that Aric out-ranks him, but Laudney is able to manipulate him.  As for knocking at the door... it seems odd to me that a ranking officer would just barge into a room.  He would still knock out of politeness, right?

And while we are talking about ships, I just want to warn you. You should probably do a lot of research on ships and sailing.

Aye.  You're right.  I mentioned earlier in this thread that my brother is in the Navy. So a lot of this stuff comes from him.  The ships are all based off of wikipedia articles and my imagination. LOL    But I do need to do a pass again.

Although this is pretty much the last you'll see of those ships for most of the book. 

Thanks again!

These are not my stories. I just write them.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »

There was a bit of confusion when Aric is visiting the Admiral.

My intent was to show that Aric out-ranks him, but Laudney is able to manipulate him.  As for knocking at the door... it seems odd to me that a ranking officer would just barge into a room.  He would still knock out of politeness, right?

Yeah, it just doesn't seem like he would wait until he was called. Maybe wait until he was announced? Or wait for an answer? Or just say he waited an instant to allow the Admiral a warning? Its just a minor detail that I thought you should be aware of.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 04:38:34 AM »
Wow.  Lots happens in these two chapters!

You know, I can't help thinking that maybe (just maybe) Aric was chosen BECAUSE of his unquestioning nature... I know you've said he's a great warrior, but at the moment his personality feels more like that of a follower than a leader, whereas the admiral is more one who's risen to leadership positions because of his ability to think and plan for himself.  Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out.

I think that Laudney picked a strange time to broach his suspicions about their real purpose on this journey.  After all, Aric's in a very strong position right now- they've just sighted land, and the mood is one of celebration and victory instead of disillusionment.  It would make more sense to try to convert Aric to his point of view gradually, starting about halfway through the journey, when all the excitement of starting out has worn off.  Could probably add some depth to Aric's character too, what with soul-searching and all...

I really liked your description of their passing through the invisible boundary surrounding the islands.  But it does suggest that whateveritis is set to examine travelers, which makes it weird that the island folk you introduce in chapters 4 and 5 don't go to sea... but maybe the the floating islanders do?

You were right in that a reader jumping in at chapter 4 wouldn't be completely lost, but having what came before does give it a clearer sense of purpose.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.