Author Topic: Expectations for Birthright?  (Read 1449 times)

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Expectations for Birthright?
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
So, I have been considering putting my story, Birthright, aside for a while so I can work on a different stories. The details are all posted here:
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6393.0

Anyhow, in response to that post, Silk suggested asking you wonderful and awesome people here at Reading Excuses what your expectations for the story were. Those of you who have read what I've submitted thus far, where did you think it was going? What promises did you see made, that you expect to be kept?
Personally, I'm not sure I can answer those questions myself, so I would like to see what you think.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Expectations for Birthright?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
Thus far I don't have a whole lot of expectations. I basically figured the story would be very character-driven, especially since Boone seems like a likable guy. Sort of the rogue everyman hero. Don't have a whole lot of plot expectations; that is, I don't see some kind of end-of-the-world crisis. I basically expect we'll follow Boone around on various adventures.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:23:33 AM »
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a kidnapping?  And a socio-political warmonger on the loose?  And while some could say that they might be cliche, so what?  It would be in the how you do the story, not in the form per se that's important.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:56 AM »
Well, I wasn't here for the prologue, but going off of the first couple of chapters I was kind of getting a Pirates in Fantasy land feel with Capt Jack Sparrow/Boone running around causing mischief for a bunch of noble houses with some reference to a kidnapping I assumed would be way important later. All good stuff anyway :).
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
I too am expecting a character driven plot. I think that the machinations of the noble houses along with the kidnapping could give it a bit of familiarity a la WoT and Mistborn while the birth rights and the unique personalities of your characters could give the originality.
I would need to read a bit further for a more developed idea of what to expect, but it's certainly a good start.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.