Author Topic: Inter-office politics go too far  (Read 1903 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Inter-office politics go too far
« on: December 22, 2004, 01:06:06 AM »
My boss got fired today.  I like my boss, he was a good guy who worked his butt off to do a good job and get things done. People like him and want to help him.

Today I find he's been fired in favor of  the new manager who was hired a few months back and is a complete idiot, who does maybe HALF the work Mark did and does it poorly ( like loosing raise requests we turned in for agents).  Apparently this new guy  had been making all sorts of surrepeticious complaints about him to management about how he "never gets anything done."  Pot? Kettle.

And you know what?  He's insulted his bosses before, said they don't knowwhat they're doing - in front of me and  other witnesses.  When we had a meeting to complain and discuss it, he denied it all. Said we were making it up or must have been misinterpreting what he said.  And management just eats it up because he's their  little golden boy.  

So my boss lost his job today.  Because apparently every single problem our account is having right now was his fault.

Right.   The other team leads and I feel very angry and betrayed right  now.  Let's see how that kind of work environment helps productivity.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 01:10:23 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Inter-office politics go too far
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:11:23 AM »
I learned a long time ago that in jobs like yours that sucking up to the manegement is more important then actualy doing your job.  In one of my other jobs there were managers that never did anything but hang out with the boss and allwayse passed their work onto others, yet it was those people that got all the "employe of the month" awards and the like.  You're old manager got fired becsaue he didn't suck up as much as the other guy, which is all that matters.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 01:16:55 AM »
I have someone like that at my work.
But my duplicitous boss loves the guy. I think a lot of it is because this guy doesn't do anything, so he never has to tell my boss that he needs to start working. This guy also goes out to make sure that he gets more face time with the boss than anyone else.

But office politics just suck. Particularly when you get a weasel who doesn't care who's life they wreck to get what they want.

I predict that you and many of the other employees will start looking for other employment soon.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 01:18:14 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 02:04:09 AM »

I predict that you and many of the other employees will start looking for other employment soon.

*sigh*
Yeah.  But at least we have the warning and can start thinking in that direction.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »
yup. I can totally dig it.

Last week I was working with a customer in south america who happened to be friends with one of the sales reps. Naturally, he's included on all the correspondence.

The customer likes to alter my words. When I tell him that IF it's only the part he thinks needs to change then the cost will be ABOUT a certain amount, but I can't give a final estimate until I get the instrument in. His response says that he'll accept that maximum price.

It's at this point that the sales rep starts working behind my back. I wrote back telling the customer that it was not a maximum price, and the sales rep finally admits to me that he had already written that response. Thanks for making me look like a schmuck. Maybe next time we're working on a SERVICE issue the SALES department can tell me that they're working with the customer on it? So y'know, I can actually do my job?

When the cost is much higher than the customer expected, he wrote back saying that his tests had indicated no such problem. Which is basically him being a retard. It's unlikely at all that he had the software necessary to run the tests we did. And his instrument failed the tests we ran. Significantly, in fact.

So I start drafting a response which I intend to send out on Thursday. But, realizing that I'm going out of town, I call my boss to let her know that I'm going to send her a copy and that I won't be able to respond to it.

And then I find out that the sales rep had already sent it to her, without telling me. So, y'know, now I'm going to be duplicating info with my boss, and if any of the info is different at all, I'm going to look like a fool. Assuming he wasn't being a jerk, which I don't, the sales guy was at bare minimum an idiot. You HAVE to keep the person who is working the issue informed of what's going on. It looks bad for the company, and makes me look incompetant.

Which, I think, was the sales guy's attempt. He was going behind my back because I wasn't doing what he wanted. THere's no way in hell I'm going to get that instrument fixed at the price he wanted. That would be giving him thousands of dollars of work and parts for free. That's not just bad for my department, but for the whole company. How would Sales like it if I promised a customer we'd give him a 66% discount on his next purchase? They'd be pissed!

I'm trying to do my job, I deserve at least to know when someone else is taking over correspondence so I don't look like  aretard to the customer and to my boss.

No one got fired, but it's still making me angry.

I did have a manager get fired for what I thought was an uncool reason. When I was at convergys he said something bad about Microsoft. Apparently a microsoft rep heard him, and he got fired for it. That's total crap.

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 11:24:29 PM »
I totally refuse to ever suck up to any boss, no matter how much my job depends on it.  I have way too much pride for that. A lot of the bosses that I've had never really liked me because I wouldn't spend the time to tell them how great they were, and how valuable they were to the company.  Whatever.  
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 11:28:22 PM »
I'll play around with my bosses, etc. If they tell me to do something I'll usually do it. Unless I'm in the middle of something already. I'm not really in some office environment, so I don't get the same kind of interaction some of you may. Smiling to others in my business, to me, really is important because it uplifts their spirits a bit. You may not see it, but hey, it's there.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 11:39:21 PM »
Well, at least you do what your boss asks you to do. At my work the general rule is to pass off whatever you could be doing onto someone else. My boss being the prime offender.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 09:06:45 AM »
there's a difference between sucking up and being cheerful. Refusing to be friendly really does hurt you and the company.
Obsequious behavior is usually damaging too, since it prevents real work from getting done.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 04:35:39 AM »
Yup. After many jobs where my husband was the one suffering at the hand of office politics, I can honestly say that being friendly and accomodating the boss usually makes up for a multitiude of failings.