Author Topic: Religion in Mistborn and Elantris --AML do-over (SPOILERS)  (Read 2660 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Religion in Mistborn and Elantris --AML do-over (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 12:11:37 AM »
Exactly, and that's something that can resonate for non-Mormon truth-seekers as well.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Emmaleem

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 05:58:54 AM »
Ookla, I do get what you're saying.  Upon closer examination, the Sazed/Joseph Smith comparison is very vague.

But upon a first read-through, whether or not it was originally intended by the author (and I'm assuming it most definitely was not), it leapt out at me.  Possibly because I realized pretty early that the epigraphs were Sazed, and that therefore the final heroic figure must be him? (That first line "I am, unfortunately, the hero of ages" just didn't sound a bit like Vin.) 

Another line that brought out the intensity of his search for religious truth, I think: "He was growing more and more worried that, even among the hundreds of religions in his metalminds, he would never be able to find the truth." (page 269)

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me :).

segullah.org

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
For a better explanation than that, you can listen to Brandon's own explanation (it's much better), but  the podcast is VERY long and I don't remember where in the podcast this was brought up.

Its at 00:42:00 if you want to listen to it.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone