Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 89147 times)

TMan

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Lolchair
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2009, 10:31:05 PM »
No, she's not. In fact, if I was a character in the story, and knew the truth about her, I would keep well clear of her.

I wouldn't, for obvious reasons :P

*smirk*

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2009, 11:37:16 PM »
Quote from: Shaggy on Yesterday at 05:27:17 PM
No, she's not. In fact, if I was a character in the story, and knew the truth about her, I would keep well clear of her.

I wouldn't, for obvious reasons

*smirk*
I never said I wouldn't look at her; I just said I would avoid her and her treacherous plans.…Then again, maybe the temptation would be too great to resist.  8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »
I suppose I can agree with the slowdown of the Perrin/Faille plotline (he spends a whole book and a half looking for her and planning her escape), yet can't the same thing be said about Mat/Tuon?  They spend as much time sitting in a wagon traveling to wherever.  Neither really get exciting until KoD.  The only thing that keeps Tuon from being insufferable is that she is a new character.  She thinks the Shadowspawn are a myth, as well as T'averen, and several other known truths, yet she believes if a hawk dives for a mouse before sundown on the third day of the week, someone is going to die.  by the way, how can the high blood possibly be able to master hand to hand combat and swordplay without breaking a nail?  That must be a feat in and of itself.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
I suppose I can agree with the slowdown of the Perrin/Faille plotline (he spends a whole book and a half looking for her and planning her escape), yet can't the same thing be said about Mat/Tuon?  They spend as much time sitting in a wagon traveling to wherever.  Neither really get exciting until KoD.  The only thing that keeps Tuon from being insufferable is that she is a new character.  She thinks the Shadowspawn are a myth, as well as T'averen, and several other known truths, yet she believes if a hawk dives for a mouse before sundown on the third day of the week, someone is going to die.  by the way, how can the high blood possibly be able to master hand to hand combat and swordplay without breaking a nail?  That must be a feat in and of itself.

Hmmm...My memory is a tad hazy but I'm not sure the high blood blademasters let their fingernails grow long. They all definately lacquer either one or two of their first nails, depending on rank, but I don't think they all grow them long. High Lady Suroth has them long but I don't think it is required of them..... I should go reread the scene when Rand kills Turak to make sure....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »

Yeah, Mat and Tuon's sections DO slow down considerably around this time frame, however there's still plenty of inter-party conflict to keep it interesting enough to me. The only real inter-party conflict with perrin is everyone's agitation at not having succeeded yet, and Faile's sections are nothing but her secretly planning and plotting for 1.5~2 books.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »

Hmmm...My memory is a tad hazy but I'm not sure the high blood blademasters let their fingernails grow long. They all definately lacquer either one or two of their first nails, depending on rank, but I don't think they all grow them long. High Lady Suroth has them long but I don't think it is required of them..... I should go reread the scene when Rand kills Turak to make sure....

I'm pretty sure it mentions that Turak has long nails when Fain goes in to meet him, but I don't think it's mentioned during the fight with Rand. That is a good question. Maybe RJ just forgot about that detail?
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 05, 2009, 03:52:55 AM »
Someone over at Dragonmount had a good observation about Perrin in that the Faile rescue was long but was a great chance to set up his alliance with the Seanchan. Mat has also done the same by impressing Tuon and her rescuers with his skill in battle. I also doubt they are looking forward to battles with Rand and even Ituralde has made an impression. I'll bet they think very differently about the military leaders than before they sailed and working with them at the Last Battle should be easier now.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
by the way, how can the high blood possibly be able to master hand to hand combat and swordplay without breaking a nail?
I believe somewhere in the series, there was a section that mentioned a member of the High Blood with long fingernails either holding a fork or other eating utensil, a dagger or a sword, and I'm pretty sure RJ talked briefly on how delicately their hold had to be, and how the ends of the fingers were used most. Not 100% certain, though.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »
My main frustration with the Perrin/Faile Sections were that they didn't really seem all that necessary at the time. I could see how the Mat/Tuon sections fit in. After thinking about it, Perrin's current position puts him right where he needs to be to meet up with Galad and the Whitecloaks, and he does have the alliance with the Seanchan going for him. So I might like it better the second time through. Actually, I did like it better the second time through, come to think of it. I might like it better the 3rd time through? Something like that....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2009, 03:31:03 AM »
After realizing how perfectly all the pieces of RJ's story fit together, I'm beginning to wonder if he plays chess.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »
After realizing how perfectly all the pieces of RJ's story fit together, I'm beginning to wonder if he plays chess.…

No, stones.  ;)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2009, 10:51:30 PM »
Quote from: Shaggy on February 06, 2009, 09:31:03 PM

No, stones. 
HAHA good one!!!

Actually, that gave me a thought…wouldn't it be pretty cool if BS/Harriet/someone completed the rules of stones (if RJ hasn't already) and had it made as a real board game?? Wouldn't that be awesome??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:39 PM »
Quote from: Shaggy on February 06, 2009, 09:31:03 PM

No, stones. 
HAHA good one!!!

Actually, that gave me a thought…wouldn't it be pretty cool if BS/Harriet/someone completed the rules of stones (if RJ hasn't already) and had it made as a real board game?? Wouldn't that be awesome??

I always thought of stones and being similar to Go,  but i never put much thought into it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »
I feel stupid…what's Go??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
I feel stupid…what's Go??

Hint: the word Go was underlined in my post because it's a link to wikipedia explaining about Go :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard