Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 89104 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
I agree with TMan and the BookstoreGuy. Perrin is just too complacent; it's rather unrealistic. And Faile is annoying because all she ever talks about is the "art" of "raising" a husband and how "delicate" a process it is.…And, yes, death, destruction, and despair would make the last book MUCH more interesting.

PS Did anyone notice my alliteration? Did you like it?  ;D 8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »
I think none of you have ever been married lol.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 31, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
That's probably a true fact, mtlhddoc2.  8) But in my case, if I had it would have been scary.  :o So that's OK.  :)

And marriage in Randland is no doubt very different from marriage here in many ways…the least of which being divorce.  ;D And I have no doubt that my mom ever kept that much from my dad, or plotted behind his back, or did any of the stuff Faile, in her not-so-infinite wisdom, does.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #288 on: January 31, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »
I'm married, and I think that Faile is way out of line with all the stuff she does behind Perrin's back. I think the Shaido should have killed her instead of making us go through all the rescue nonsense. Hopefully they will not be so annoying in the last book.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 31, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »
I think Faile is delusional, personally.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
 Faille is a little naive at times, but she is behaving the way a Saldeaen woman is expected to behave.  If she was unique, Elyas' advice to Perrin would not have worked.  I have posted in other threads about the gift of knowledge a reader gets from seeing multiple viewpoints.  However, if you were only allowed to read Perrin's point of view, there's a good chance you wouldn't figure it out any more quickly than he did.  Especially if you were brought up to think of women as physically weaker and therefore in need of protection.  She hides her spying from Perrin because she knows he will not be rational about it.  She is much better at getting information than he is, at being a leader than he is, and he must learn to trust and respect her, which means he must treat her as an equal.  You only coddle those you feel are inferior to you, so she is insulted.  Just like Mat must learn to treat women as more than objects or nuisances, and just Rand must realize that a women's death is no more grievous than a man's.  In essence, they must learn to treat women as equals, just like the women need to learn the same truth about men.  Also remember that Perrin's rescue of Faille resulted in the destruction of the Shaido, and yet another alliance with the Seanchan.  In spite of his seemingly narrow-minded goal, he succeeded in doing much more.  Had he given up on Faille, the Shaido would have continued to create chaos, which only helps the Shadow.
  By the way, your assumptions are proving my point.  Many people just will not change their opinions no matter the evidence.  Perrin and Faille are guilty of this.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
I think most of us were just comparing how FAILE behaves to how women behave in modern society.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:22 PM »
I actually LIKE Faile, its Baerelain that I cannot stand.... :D (this seems to be the exact opposite attittude which prevails here)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Yes, I actually respect the character Berelain greatly. I think that most men and women would merely see the pretty face, and assume she is shallow and a typical stereotype (?), but she uses her beauty to manipulate others and gain her own ends in a way that is quite clever.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »
If I understand her correctly, her reputation as a tramp has been deliberately cultivated.  Yes, she is not a woman to trifle with.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
No, she's not. In fact, if I was a character in the story, and knew the truth about her, I would keep well clear of her.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »
I dislike Berelain's personality, but at the same time, I have great respect for her and what she does in order to protect her country. Faile was really cool at first, but now I just find her annoying. Too many long chapters in book 10 without anything really happening....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2009, 02:54:38 PM »
Yes, Faile is annoying enough that many more readers would mourn Bela's passing than Faile's.  Gawain is another character that has become pretty irritating, due to his stupidity, but i suspect he will redeem himself n the final book.  I am afraid that the cost of getting rid of the shaido, namely 200 more damane for the Seanchan may be a lot for the enemys of the Seanchan to pay, but suspect that there will  be atruce between Rand and Tuon that will revent that from being a problem.  If the Aiel are really as tough as Jordan presents them to be, perhaps they will be able to resist the suldam and their training methods enough to create a problem and help the Seanchan change there policy re leashing channelers.  However, fitting it qall into one book will be difficult when all the other unresolved issues remain.  Obviously there will be one big reunion scene with Morgaise, Galad, Perrin and Child Byar that will be interesting. Seanchan vs the White tower, Egwene vs Elaida,  Matt Thom and Moraine. The golden Craine, The final battle.  No wonder it has grown to a probable 2 books.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
So let me see if I understand this correctly.  The tramp that is trying to steal Perrin from his wife just for the competition of it and uses her body as a tool to keep Mayene safe is well respected, but the woman who expects to be treated as an equal is irritating?  Don't get me wrong, I like Berelein too, but chasing after someone else's husband when he obviously is not interested is just spiteful.  She went after Rand first, but he scared the bejesus out of her, so she  settled for Perrin.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
So let me see if I understand this correctly.  The tramp that is trying to steal Perrin from his wife just for the competition of it and uses her body as a tool to keep Mayene safe is well respected, but the woman who expects to be treated as an equal is irritating?  Don't get me wrong, I like Berelein too, but chasing after someone else's husband when he obviously is not interested is just spiteful.  She went after Rand first, but he scared the bejesus out of her, so she  settled for Perrin.

I think it's more a respect for her cunning than what she DOES.

Personally, i dont like perrin/faile's segments much. Not because i dont like the characters, but as of late they've been rather BORING because not enough has been happening for me. Perrin's segments were my favorites right up until the shaido kidnapping, then it became so slow, i got bored of it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.