Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 89170 times)

Razor

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2009, 04:22:42 AM »
Aludra has given him grenades, but at the end of KOD he has promised Aludra to bring her to Rand for him to ok commissioning of cannons from multiple nation bellfounders to make cannons
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:04:23 AM by Razor »

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2009, 04:25:22 AM »
And re the cannon foretelling, iirc Egwene had a dream of Mat bowling and knocking down pins that stood for hundreds of soldiers each.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
And re the cannon foretelling, iirc Egwene had a dream of Mat bowling and knocking down pins that stood for hundreds of soldiers each.

You recall correctly, sir. She did, indeed have a dream just like that.

From that link I posted earlier:
--Mat bowls on a village green. He knocks over pins again and again, only the pins are men and they are dead. Each pin represents thousands of men and an Illuminator was part of it

I believe that's the only fortelling that hints at the cannons, but i could be wrong.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
I don't know if this will play into the ending, but in one book Rand wanted to leave something behind after he died  He set up some kind of workshop that was in the process of developing steam engines.  I don't think that will play into the final book too much, if at all, but who knows?

Maybe that's how they'll move the cannons around.
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
I don't know if this will play into the ending, but in one book Rand wanted to leave something behind after he died  He set up some kind of workshop that was in the process of developing steam engines.  I don't think that will play into the final book too much, if at all, but who knows?

Maybe that's how they'll move the cannons around.

honestly, I always guessed that it was a setup for the next age to start, the next age being some kind of technological revolution. That was my guess about it, anyways. It also fits with gunpowder now being in use (Mat's cannons), though I can certainly see setting them up on steam engines, mat will basically have low-tech tanks.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:07 AM »
Look into the bodyswap theory

Body swap with who Moridan?  I guess I don't remember reading that part.  Are we in agreement then that Rand and Moridan may both be related somehow?

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:07 AM »
Look into the bodyswap theory

Body swap with who Moridan?  I guess I don't remember reading that part.  Are we in agreement then that Rand and Moridan may both be related somehow?

I'd have to disagree.  Moridan is Ishy, and Rand is Lews Therin.  Lews Therin fought and met Ishy in the war of the Power.  So their souls have been separate the entire time.  Lews Therin died and Ishy was, if not trapped, then at least tied to the Dark Ones prison.  No, I don't think they are related, unless you mean symbolically.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2009, 01:13:12 AM »
The steam-engine could also be like a car for the Channelers so they could go on back, it would run by enemies fast, and they would wreck. Kind of like a drive-by shooting.

I'm sorry, I haven't read the books in so long, but will somebody please take pity on a confused soul and explain what Moridin and Rand's connection is?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:44 AM »
They each shot a stream of balefire in Shadar Logoth, and "the streams crossed." (Sound familiar  :P) Since then, visions of Moridin's face have been popping up in Rand's head every time he uses the Power. No one is sure if it is because the streams crossed or because Moridin was using the Dark One's version of the Power.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2009, 02:23:27 AM »
And after they do the balefire thing Moridin refuses to channel Saidin. So they are linked, I'm pretty sure it's been strongly established in other forums
No one is sure if it is because the streams crossed or because Moridin was using the Dark One's version of the Power.
I think it was Saidin, hence the refusal to channel it rather than the True Power
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2009, 03:05:12 AM »
I thought it was that the True Power was more addictive while it also drives the user insane.  That was why Ishy/Moridin only uses it.

Here's something that I noticed in the last book:  Rand has the spots floating across his vision after he loses his hand.  (I think its called Saa?)  They were like little black flecks.  And the sun was unusually bright and hurt his eyes.  But only after his fight with Lews Therin for the Power.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:52 AM »
And after they do the balefire thing Moridin refuses to channel Saidin. So they are linked, I'm pretty sure it's been strongly established in other forums
No one is sure if it is because the streams crossed or because Moridin was using the Dark One's version of the Power.
I think it was Saidin, hence the refusal to channel it rather than the True Power

really? I thought in the book it showed Rand seeing black flecks crossing his eyes? Again, its been a while. I could be and probably am wrong.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
I thought it was that the True Power was more addictive while it also drives the user insane.  That was why Ishy/Moridin only uses it.

Here's something that I noticed in the last book:  Rand has the spots floating across his vision after he loses his hand.  (I think its called Saa?)  They were like little black flecks.  And the sun was unusually bright and hurt his eyes.  But only after his fight with Lews Therin for the Power.

I kind of remember that, I have another theory.  I could be completely wrong, so if this doesn't fit let me know.  Rand cleansed Saidan, so it should be like drinking a glass of crystal clear Ice Mountain water after drinking Mississippi mud water your whole life, right? In other words your not going to mistaken one for the other.  So maybe after their balefire streams crossed maybe Rand isn't channeling the one power anymore, maybe he's touching the True Power.  If, and I don't know if this is the case, but if their streams crossed at the end of Winters Heart, then maybe all the male channelers are touching the True Power also.  That could explain why all the Ashamen were walking around saying, "Somethings different", in Crossroads to Twilight, as opposed to realizing they were "drinking clean water" .

What do you think, possibility, or back to the drawing board?

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
I've always taken it that the True Power was both Saidin and Saidar. Maybe in the process of the cleansing he made it so Saidar now trickles into Saidin, which would also explain Saidar's "weakening." Too bad I loaned my complete WoT collection to a friend or I'd already know about the Saa in his eyes. One other thing is that the Saa only come after channeling the One Power ALOT. I forget what Forsaken says it, but I know one does.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
Not the One Power, but the Dark One's power.  Rand sees black flecks and is hurt by bright lights because he took a fireball to the hand and the heat seared his corneas.  The same thing can happen to you if you look directly at an arc welder or a large sustained electrical discharge.  You literally get sunburned eyes.  It is very painful and can lead to blindness.  Basically, Rand is falling apart at the seams.

As for why Moridin will no longer channel Saidin, It would make sense that he sees Rand's (and probably Lews Therin's) face every time he holds the source, so he avoids it completely. 

Lastly, the books very specifically state that the Dark One controls who channels his power, and I highly doubt he would allow every male channeler to use it all of a sudden.  More importantly, someone holding the Evil Power can see both Saidar and Saidin.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.