Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 89056 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »
As far as a listing of all fortellings go:
http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/prophecies/index.html

I think the choice between hammer and axe is mostly symbollic as, obviously, both can cause alot of pain/death. It's just that the hammer has constructive purposes as well, like forging (he is a blacksmith, afterall) and the axe has its main purpose as killing, since im pretty sure it was made as a weapon, not like a woodcutter's axe.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »
Eerongal–you are correct in saying it was forged as a weapon.

I think the majority of us think Rand will die. So the question becomes, will he come back? Or will he be resurrected as some kind of higher entity? Maybe he will take the Dark One's place but make himself the Light One or something with a much cooler title or something….that'd be neat.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »
"I saw you and another man. I couldn't make out either face, but I knew one was you. You touched, and seemed to merge into one another, and....one of you dies, and one doesn't."

Well it's safe to say if Moridin dies then Rand lives. Or if Rand dies Moridin lives, he's got 50% chance to live :D

Just found this one, ty vm for the link to the prophecies

"How can I win the Last Battle and survive?"
 "The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die.

So if he dies he lives, bodyswap anyone?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:32:10 PM by Jakobus »
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
If you would live, you must die.

How's this for a theory?  Lews Therin has been trying to wrestle control of Rand every time he tries to touch the One Power right? When Rand is battling the DO, Lews Therin takes control of Rand and he loses killing Rand.  That's when Mat blows the Great Horn, and brings Rand and everyone else back from the Age of Legends. Rand then battles the DO and defeats him.  I think maybe the only way that Rand can win is if he dies first...

I have more thoughts on that, but I'd like to think about it a little more.  Does that sound like something that could happen?
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
actually it kinda does. Its not a ridiculous theory at least.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »
Where does Mat fit in?  He kind of seems out of place to me.  What does the signet ring and the medallion mean?  We know the nine moons means Tuon, but what does the fox chasing two ravens mean?  What's the medallion supposed to be meant for.  I know what the medallion does, but what is it meant for? 

Mat seems to be the wild card in all this.  He's always late to the party in this series. Rand found out he was the Dragon Reborn, Perrin found out about his wolve senses long before Mat discovered his luck.  Likewise, Rand found all his women, Perrin found Faile long before Mat found Tuon.  So I wonder where Mat fits in any ideas?   

Don't forget Mat blew the Horn of Valere in book 2 and no one else can use it unless he dies. The signet ring was something he picked by chance, which showed a fox chasing ravens (symbol of Seanchean) surrounded by nine moons. Tuon's damane had a Foretelling that she would marry 'the fox that makes the ravens fly.'

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2009, 01:25:31 AM »
Also, now that Mat is Prince of the Ravens, he will probably have some leverage to get the Seanchan to fight on Rand's side in the Last Battle.

Publius, I agree that is definitely something that could happen.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
Every time Rand touches the One Power he sees Moridan's face.I looked for all these quotes but couldn't find them.  Someone else said that for Rand to live Moridan had to die, and for Moridan to live Rand had to die.  RJ has established that the Dragon and Dark One have  battled many times throughout history and he's won every time.  Could Moridan represent the only time that the Dragon changed sides?  That could explain why the DO seems to favor him, right?

Is Mat still the only one who can blow the Horn of Valere?  He did die for a while...  I also think that Mat's incredible luck was written mainly for the ending.  I think that something very unlikely will happen in the end, but we'll except it because if happened to Mat.  Like the coin that landed on its side only what happens will be bigger...
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
If you would live, you must die.

How's this for a theory?  Lews Therin has been trying to wrestle control of Rand every time he tries to touch the One Power right? When Rand is battling the DO, Lews Therin takes control of Rand and he loses killing Rand.  That's when Mat blows the Great Horn, and brings Rand and everyone else back from the Age of Legends. Rand then battles the DO and defeats him.  I think maybe the only way that Rand can win is if he dies first...

I have more thoughts on that, but I'd like to think about it a little more.  Does that sound like something that could happen?

Look into the bodyswap theory. It makes pretty good sense. And it's not theory, it is true. That whole thing was a prophecy.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »
Also, Mat has a pretty decent number of men behind him. I haven't read the series in a while, but wasn't the Band of the Red Hand at like 35,000 men? That's a pretty good number. And as shown in the books, he has those amazing crossbows that just destroy everyone. Those could be pretty useful in the last battle.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »
Also, Mat has a pretty decent number of men behind him. I haven't read the series in a while, but wasn't the Band of the Red Hand at like 35,000 men? That's a pretty good number. And as shown in the books, he has those amazing crossbows that just destroy everyone. Those could be pretty useful in the last battle.

Not to mention cannons.  Never forget the cannons.

I know he doesn't have cannons yet.  He will though.  All the pieces are in place, and there are foretellings about it.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »
Really? Which ones?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2009, 01:01:41 AM »
I don't remember any prophecies, but Aludra (former Illuminator) promises to make cannons for him in Knife of Dreams. (What do you get if you cross fireworks with a bell?) Should be exciting  ;D
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »
for some reason I thought he already had cannons...I guess not :(

Its been too long since I've read anything WOT.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2009, 01:18:37 AM »
Me, too. I completely forgot about Aludra.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.