Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 89090 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »
where Demondred has been hiding, etc.

**SPOILERS**

Demandred is Mazrim Taim.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
IngtarWasFramed– I never said they go on a killing spree. However, the shock could incapacitate them for a time, and don't they feel each other's wounds or something?

Reaves– I thought that, too, at one point, but a completely analytical discussion on some board convinced me otherwise.

Why do you want Elayne to die? I want Min to die 8).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »
where Demondred has been hiding, etc.

**SPOILERS**

**UNSPOILERS**

Taim is not Demandred in disguise.

How do we know? Because RJ said so.

Q: "It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred. There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
A: "Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."

[Matthew Julius, post-COT signing, Dayton, OH, January 16, 2003]

--Stolen from a WoT FAQ.

As well as other evidence against it.
--Demandred's failure to recognize Flinn at the Cleansing
--the double set of orders to the renegade Asha'man
etc.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »
Yeah. There's a bunch of other evidence out there, too.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »
Happyman,

I think the notions about Perrin discovering the song and Lan bringing back the Malkiar (sp) are more born of specific forshadowing from the books. Either Min viewings, or Egwene/Perrin dreams have hinted at these things happening.

I realize this, although the details are very vague at this point (it's been a while since I've read the books).  However, the deep philosophical objections strongly suggest to me that the interpretation will turn out to be tricky.  The Wheel turns forwards, not backwards, so if they find something or establish a country, I expect it to be something new, not echoes of something which is old but still in human memory.
Nature hates being reified.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2009, 02:57:43 AM »

**SPOILERS**

**UNSPOILERS**

Taim is not Demandred in disguise.

How do we know? Because RJ said so.

Q: "It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred. There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
A: "Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."

[Matthew Julius, post-COT signing, Dayton, OH, January 16, 2003]

--Stolen from a WoT FAQ.

As well as other evidence against it.
--Demandred's failure to recognize Flinn at the Cleansing
--the double set of orders to the renegade Asha'man
etc.
:o I was so certain...curses. And that was one thing I thought I had figured out...poo.

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2009, 04:59:44 AM »
But Taim probably takes orders from Moridin/Ishamael suggested by his use of the colors of red and black.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2009, 05:25:11 AM »
But Taim probably takes orders from Moridin/Ishamael suggested by his use of the colors of red and black.

That is quite possible. There's actually a theory i read floating around about Taim being taught by Ishy. Afterall, he does seem rather well informed about channeling....I don't mean just like he's a pro from doing it for so long, I mean he all ready knows the proper names for things before he should sometimes.

Though, I'm on the fence about Taim being a darkfriend or just a selfish jerk. He could be either, but i lean towards DF, because of his last words in the last book...
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
On another note, how can RJ condoning polygamy be more averse to his religious beliefs than one man having sex with three different women he is not married to?  Since he has already "condoned" polygamy with the Aiel, it shouldn't be a big deal to have Rand (who is an Aiel, by the way) engage in a similar practice.  They are already bonded to him, the marriage is just a formality.

You very well could be right, I don't know.  Personally I would have a hard time with that ending because it just doesn't feel right to me.  Remember the difference between sleeping with three unwed women and polygamy is that one is celebrated by popular culture and the other is illegal.  My basic argument is that there is a difference between having a race of secondary characters acting a certain way and having the series ending in a four way marriage.  Could it end that way?  Yes, I suppose but I don't think it will.  I still think that Rand may live, but he will still be gone from the world.  He'll become some kind of higher being. 

I had thought for a second that perhaps Rand would be reborn as Elaynes baby.  That thought only lasted for a second though because it got real weird the more I thought about it.   Rand would be his own father and his wife would also be his mother who he would've slept with.  No, I'm pretty positive that won't be in the final plots!

There is no third VOICE, however, rand keeps seeing a face when he seizes saidin. The face is Moridin, from the time their balefires crossed at Shadar logoth. I don't know if this is because of balefires crossing, or because of streams of the one power and the true power crossing.

Refresh my memory, what is the difference between the one power and the true power?

Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:44 PM »
Refresh my memory, what is the difference between the one power and the true power?

One power = Saidin and Saidar (what aes sedai and ashaman use)

True power = Is much more powerful, and granted by the Dark one. Ishy/Moridin uses it exclusively,  and currently is the only one that uses it. It also drives you insane very quick. Channelers of the OP can't detect use of the True power.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »

True power = Is much more powerful, and granted by the Dark one. Ishy/Moridin uses it exclusively,  and currently is the only one that uses it. It also drives you insane very quick. Channelers of the OP can't detect use of the True power.

Would I be right in assuming that the One Power would be the opposite to the True Power?  Or is the True Power just the One Power with an added kick, or don't we know yet?  Maybe Rand has to combine Saidin and Saidar, so he can defeat the Dark One?  There is also that soup bowl thing that I vaguely remember that I think combines Saidin and Saidar that must play an important role.
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
I always assumed that the True Power was essentially both sides of the One Power combined. Although I don't really understand why it would make you insane faster but thats beside the point.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »

Would I be right in assuming that the One Power would be the opposite to the True Power?  Or is the True Power just the One Power with an added kick, or don't we know yet?  Maybe Rand has to combine Saidin and Saidar, so he can defeat the Dark One?  There is also that soup bowl thing that I vaguely remember that I think combines Saidin and Saidar that must play an important role.

Well, not a whole lot has been explained about it, other than its granted directly from the dark one. I hope there's more explanation on it in the next book, personally. The bowl you speak of was the bowl of the winds, which did, indeed, combine both saidin and saidar to alter the weather patterns (and end the DO's heat wave in winter). I would assume there would be other Ter'angreal that combine the two as well, but i don't know.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »
I believe the "True" power is the opposite of the one power.  It does have the advantage of the user being able to see the weaves of both halves of the One power, but it is corrupting, and very destructive.  It was used to create Trollocs, with the Myrrdraahl as a side effect (The Gholam is the ultimate achievement in True Power based genetics; I can't wait to see who is controlling that thing).  When Moridin Travels, he is described as "tearing a hole in the pattern".  Even the other Chosen are dubius about using it because of the cost.  There is a way for it to be sensed with the One Power, but I don't know how.  Finally, Shai'Tan limits who can use it.  If it was so powerful, I imagine he wouldn't be so stingy with allowing its usage.

by the way, I had to laugh at the UNSPOILERS comment when the Taim = Demondred comment was debunked.  Very nice.  I have my own Spoiler - Miss Scarlet killed Asmodean, in the pantry, with a candlestick.   :D
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »
I have my own Spoiler - Miss Scarlet killed Asmodean, in the pantry, with a candlestick.   :D

I *KNEW* IT! That cursed wench!!

(also, dibs on colonel mustard.)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard