Poll

Do you think that many of the major characters will be killed in "A Memory of Light?"

All of them (Rand included)
4 (6.8%)
Only one or two
27 (45.8%)
Only (all of) the bad guys
6 (10.2%)
They'll all survive (not really possible)
1 (1.7%)
Only Rand and the bad guys
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: A Memory of Light  (Read 89132 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: A Memory of Light
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 02:28:20 AM »
My point remains the same–it goes both ways.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 02:31:12 AM »
Well there are already the Aiel with multiple wives, so the idea wouldn't be that far fetched.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:13 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think three spouses is pretty rare (nonexistent?) in Aiel culture. And the two are very different societies. Much of Aiel society is based on fighting, and many Aiel are often not at home (at least in these turbulent times).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:21 AM »
I think it's more for the background info than anything.  If RJ had all 4 of them together at the end without the Aiel, then it would seem weird.  But by having the Aiel practicing polygamy the idea really shouldn't shock anyone.  Some might not agree with it, but thems the breaks.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
For me, it's not that I don't agree with it–it's just hard for me to get my mine around. (Then again, I'm only 12. I didn't even know about polygamy since like five years ago and I've NEVER talked about it with anyone.)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2009, 04:35:21 AM »
I also agree on the point that at least one of Rand's Warders must die. If you think about it, having three spouses for 40+years of life would just be weird. Who do you sleep with at night? Do you have a schedule for who sleeps with who? A schedule for sex? Does everyone sleep together (this would be strange)? And the children–first of all, there'd be a LOT of them. Secondly, they won't technically be siblings–they'll be half-siblings–but they'll all live together. They'll all share the same Dad, but have one Mom and two aunt/type/people and…it's just too confusing. I think RJ will kill at least one, if only for peace of mind. I hope it's Min.

I have some polygamous ancestors and what they did is have different houses for each wife and her children. The husband would just move to a different house every so often. Pretty much like Rand&co are doing now, so I don't think that will be a problem. If any of his wives get axed though, I'm voting for Elayne.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2009, 05:02:56 AM »
Po0lygamy is actually standard practice in most religions, only Judaism and Christianity ban the practice. all the other major religions it is standard for a man to have multiple wives.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
After reading the WOT , I had gotten the feeling that RJ was a church going man where other authors I didn't get that feeling from their writing.  After reading RJ's blog and seeing the pictures of his funeral, I believe him to be a religious man.  That's why I doubt that there will be a polygamist ending because it would fly in the face of his beliefs.

True in some cultures polygamy is practiced, but polygamy in America is rare and at best taboo.  Pretty much anyone who has dated has dated someone who has cheated on them.  I think that some, especially the female readers, may find a polygamist ending to be a bitter pill to swallow.  In today where political correctness and hyper-sensitivity runs wild, I think that ending very well could be seen as RJ endorsing polygamy.  Which could cause some readers to turn away from RJ and not buy anymore of his books.

When RJ was telling the ending in his living room to family and friends shortly before his passing.  I don't see him ending with Rand, Min, Avienda, and Elayne all getting married and living happily ever after, I don't see Harriet standing and clapping her hands.  It would also go against the overall theme of the women in the book that of the strong  independant female.  Lan could have three wives and get away with it, but not Rand.

The little that I know of RJ tells me that the overall character of the man would not let him write that ending.

Lews Therin talks to Rand, but I believe if my memory is correct, there is a third unknown voice also.  Assuming that all three girls are former wives, perhaps somehow Rand gets split in three?  This is the only way that I can see it working.  The unknown voice would go with Avienda, Lews would go with Elayne (her name is to close to Lews wives name to ignore), and Min would go with Rand. 

If you really want a happy ending then lets say that people die, and Rand gets split.  Instead of all the people fighting in the same age, Tarmen Guiden is fought in all ages.  So Lews would go back to the Prologue and get a chance to save his wife who'd be Elayne, at the same time that Rand fights to save Min, and the unknown voice would fight in the Wastes and saves his wife who'd be Avienda.  After the battle mass resurrections ensue.  What would Mat, Perin, and everyone else have to do with everything?  I don't know....perhaps their just there for the pre-battle before Rand splits. 

That's the only scenario that I can think of where Rand and all his wives live.
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
My point remains the same–it goes both ways.

Wrong, when an Aes Sedai's warder is killed she goes through an extremely heavy period of mourning, however does not go on a killing spree/vengance hunt. Now it is unclear if this is due to the way the bond works or if its more likely the ways that men and woman are different in their grief. The books are not clear on this, however, I suspect the latter is the case.

pencil_trick

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »
Here is a theory.  Rand dies defeating the DO, restarting the Karaethon Cycle with Avienda being the "maiden wed to no man" who births the next incarnation of the Dragon.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
To go back a few posts, the main purpose for the wolves at the last battle was shown in book 10 during Perrin's boring section.  They are there to counter Dark Hounds.  Remember, everything is about balance.  For everything the Shadow has, there are counter-parts for the Light.  Remember, wolves hate the Shadow Brothers worse than Trollocs or Fades (as Dark Hounds were once wolves themselves).
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »
It would seem I'm late to a WoT discussion! :O

Lews Therin talks to Rand, but I believe if my memory is correct, there is a third unknown voice also. 

*--Spoilers

There is no third VOICE, however, rand keeps seeing a face when he seizes saidin. The face is Moridin, from the time their balefires crossed at Shadar logoth. I don't know if this is because of balefires crossing, or because of streams of the one power and the true power crossing.

*/--Spoilers

Personally, I'm certain AT LEAST Rand will die. This has been stated many times that he "must" dies at tarmon gaidon. However, I'm sure he will live on, somehow, as a major portion of the books involves him trying to follow as best he can the advice given to him from the Aelfinn when he asked how he could live past Tarmon Gaidon. It's not that I don't think all his work could be in vain, just that I would be very surprised if it was, as it was a very large portion of his story as a whole.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
I have always felt that Rand's question to the snakes was answered literally, but they were talking to both Lews Therin and Rand.  When I combine that with the vision of Logain stepping over Rand with a paper face (I believe that is what it said), it leads me to believe that Lews Therin will take over control and be defeated, but Rand's soul will survive.  Anyway, any combination of these endings will work for me.  He dies, he lives, he kinda dies, it will all be cool.  I am much more interested in learning about Verin and Cadsuane's true nature ( I have my theories of course), when Moridin and Cyndane will reveal themselves, where Demondred has been hiding, etc.

On another note, how can RJ condoning polygamy be more averse to his religious beliefs than one man having sex with three different women he is not married to?  Since he has already "condoned" polygamy with the Aiel, it shouldn't be a big deal to have Rand (who is an Aiel, by the way) engage in a similar practice.  They are already bonded to him, the marriage is just a formality.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »
  I am much more interested in learning about Verin and Cadsuane's true nature ( I have my theories of course), when Moridin and Cyndane will reveal themselves, where Demondred has been hiding, etc.

Personally, I think Verin is either Black Ajah, or some other side we don't know about yet. (I kinda doubt BA, but it's still a possibility)

I'm pretty certain Cadsuane is merely trying to help the world with the least amount of collateral damage
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Roberts

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »
The Aelfinn said "to live you must die" which is obviously a paradox. I think Nicola Treehill had a Foretelling about 'the world not yet done with battle' and Elayne Min and Aviendah standing on a boat while 'the guardians balance the servants' so I don't think any of those three will die.
I suspect Robert Jordan intended to follow through with the Christ allusions, and Rand will die and come back to life in order to defeat the Dark One.