Author Topic: De-Pooping Sixteen Large Wild Shrimp From Mexican Gulf  (Read 4930 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: De-Pooping Sixteen Large Wild Shrimp From Mexican Gulf
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 10:37:03 PM »
I meant shelling nigh-frozen shrimp is a pain.

I love eating cold shrimp with cocktail sauce.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
Wow. I really can't believe a thread called "De-Pooping Sixteen Large Wild Shrimp From the Mexican Gulf" has actually reached two pages. Mankind truly has no boundaries.

And, by TWG standards, "De-Pooping Sixteen Large Wild Shrimp From the Mexican Gulf" is officially a hot topic.

For all shrimp lovers–go to Chile.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:35:29 AM by Shaggy »
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 01:22:52 AM »
The quickest and easiest way to devein shrimp:

Start with a non-serrated paring knife.  Hold it upside down so the blade is facing up.  Place the tip of the knife under the shrimps shell and slide the knife down the shrimps back till you reach the tail.  Run the shrimp under running water while your removing the shell.  If you did it right by the time the shell is off the running water will have removed the vein for you.

The best way to cook shrimp

When I tell people this recipe they're always disappointed because I'm a Chef and they want something complicated.  You can make it complicated if you want, but my tastes are rather simple.

Hold the shrimp and paring knife like you did when you deveined it except hold the knife like you normally would.  Cut along the back of the shrimp again except this time cut from the tail to the front.  Not to deep though.  Set the knife to the side, and press down on the back of the shrimp with your thumb until it splits in half and the sides are laying flat.  Congratulations you just butterflied your shrimp.  Place on a sheet tray cover with clarified butter, season w/ Salt and Pepper.  Bake in a Preheated Oven at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes.  Shrimp cooks VERY fast this way so keep an eye on it.

If you cooked it right the shrimp will melt in your mouth!!

Crab Stuffed Shrimp with Orange Hollandaise

If your trying to impress someone you can alter it just a bit.  It's still super easy, but it has great plate presentation!! 

Buy some Crab meat (NOT imitation!  You can't impress anyone with imitation crab meat!)  Place a little crab meat on the back of the shrimp and bake.  Cooking time will very depending on the size of shrimp and amount of crab meat you place on it, but probably between 4-6 minutes.

Buy a good Hollandaise Sauce packet.  Make the Hollandaise sauce and add freshly squeezed Orange juice to it till it gets to the taste you desire.  If you want to make fresh Hollandaise I can tell you how to make a great one, but it's a pain in the butt from start to finish.  You can't save fresh hollandaise either because if you keep it too warm the eggs scramble, and if you keep it too cold the butter solidifies.  So I recommend the packets for home cooking.

Place the Crab-Stuffed Shrimp on a plate and spoon the Orange Hollandaise over each one.  Sprinkle some Paprika over top for color and serve with Rice Pilaf and Sauteed Asparagus Spears.

There you go, fine dining in your own house!!  If you try any of these ideas let me know what you think...
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »
While those do sound like good recipes, I think "best" is a matter of opinion.  I happen to have an excellent pinapple shrimp curry recipe, for example.

One thing I will say:  Never use pre-cooked shrimp in a recipe that involves cooking shrimp.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 04:02:52 AM »
Both of those sound really good publius. I think I'll have to try one of them next time we do shrimp!!
In the past when we have shrimp we generally do them on the grill, slathered in barbeque sauce and wrapped in bacon!! Delicious!!
Basically you have to cook the bacon halfway first, then wrap the shrimp and put them all on skewers. I like to shove them together so they all conduct the heat, making them cook a bit slower. I forget if you put more barbeque sauce on halfway in...I guess it depends on your taste. DELICIOUS!!!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
I actually had a very good carbonara dish last night with shrimp in it…I've never had those two together before but it was pretty good.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
my favorite way to eat shrimp (an crab for that matter!) is just a simple steaming. Simply steam them until complete (very short amount of time) and add lemon juice for a bit of zest. Serve with cocktail sauce. Very simple, but I love shrimp that way.

I personally think shrimp goes really well with chicken and rice, if anyone is considering any dinner ideas. About a week or two ago, I made some excellent lemon-lime chicken, a side of steamed shrimp, and rice (flavored with the chicken drippings).

for the lemon-lime chicken, i scored it and let it marinate for about 15 minutes in about a 1/2 cup of lemon, 1/2 cup of lime juice, 1/2 cup of sunflower oil,about a tablespoon of malt vinegar, italian seasonings (mainly basil and oregano. It was a mixed spice shaker of 'italian seasoning'), a little salt and garlic to taste. (most of my measurements are approximate, i generally dont measure too much when cooking)

For cooking, I put the chicken is a pan on a low flame, and poured the marinade over it, and let it sit until the chicken was slightly browned on both sides.

Rice was simply boiled white rice. I poured some of the chicken grease/marinade on it to flavor it.

Shrimp was as detailed above. :)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 11:56:56 PM »
Eerongal, that sounds great! I'll have to show it to my mother.…(Needless to say, I don't do the cooking in our family.  :))
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 11:59:08 PM »
I prefer lime juice to lemon juice.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 12:02:46 AM »
Eerongal, that sounds great! I'll have to show it to my mother.…(Needless to say, I don't do the cooking in our family.  :))

it actually turned out better than i expected. I was just ad-libbing with what i had on hand when i made it.

Note that i am by no means a proffesional chef. I am a cook by hobby.

I usually try to make my own dishes rather than rely on recipies, so anything i mention on how i made it, feel free to tinker with the recipie. Just last weekend i made a spaghetti and pepperoni pizza! It was great!

Note that this chicken i mention is a very 'zesty' dish.

I prefer lime juice to lemon juice.

Yeah, lime juice is much....softer? i dont really know how to phrase it, but i really enjoy lime juice over lemon (but they work great together! Which is what the idea was when i was working on that)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 12:05:32 AM »
Note that i am by no means a proffesional chef. I am a cook by hobby.
I am as well.  I don't get to cook mush sea-food though, my family hates it.  My grandmother cooks most of the time though so I don't worry about it too much.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 12:28:12 AM »
Eerongal—same with my mother.

I LOVE limeade. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
Simply brand has the best limeade there is, but I also like drinking straight lime juice. YUM. |]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 12:53:14 AM »
Simply brand has the best limeade there is, but I also like drinking straight lime juice. YUM. |]

I *love* minute maid cherry limeade. I could gorge myself on that until i rupture.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 03:14:37 AM »
That would be…interesting. (And colorful.)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.