Author Topic: Mistborn series (HoA) ending. Major *SPOILER* (duh)  (Read 4241 times)

SparrowHawk

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn series (HoA) ending. Major *SPOILER* (duh)
« on: December 30, 2008, 02:34:51 AM »
I read another post here about the ending, with critique on how some people found it disappointing.  It didn’t seem to capture what I wanted so say, so here we are on this thread.

I did find the ending disappointing, but not for the ending itself.  I think the book ended appropriately.  Everything was wrapped up, and I think that the ending itself was all well and good.  I don’t dislike books that end with the main actors dieing.  On the contrary, I find that books where the main people die to be some of the best books.   I’m not sure how to sum up my feeling toward the end of this series except with this one sentence…

I didn’t cry.

I should have.

Lord knows I secretly cry like a babe over movies and books and songs and the like.  More then I’m comfortable admitting.  Thankfully nobody knows me :)

Anyway, with the ending as it was, I can’t help but feel like it should have been more of a tearjerker.

Perhaps his literary style of jumping viewpoints during high action scenes worked against him in this instance.  Maybe it was the viewpoint; maybe we should have watched it more through Vin’s eyes.  Maybe it was Vin’s lack of concern.

I understand that Vin’s “lack of concern” (bad phrase, I know) was how he ultimately explained her doing what she did, I just feel like it was the wrong move here.  I think that it should have been more along the lines of her undying love that now made her able to make the ultimate sacrifice.  I think that an ending like this deserves to be wrought with emotion.  Emotion that the reader feels very keenly.

I am by no means a literary genius (you read this post, you know).  I can’t explain how I felt that it should have ended.  I have no idea how I’d “fix it”.  I ask that you, as a reader of this opinion put much more stock into statement “I didn’t cry”, and comment from there.  Put less weight to all the other fluff that I used to try to explain things.

I also have to state that I loved the series.  I thought it was wonderful, and I read the whole thing in a matter of weeks (it would have been days, if I didn’t need to think of a Christmas gift that I could tell people to get me).  I would not have come here to comment if I didn’t love the series.

Anyway, just one man’s humble opinion. 

EDIT:  (i never alter my posts... "let the record stand"... instead I add a section like this)
"Disappointed in the ending" was a bit too harsh, perhaps.  I'm not disappointed in the ending,  I did say that the ending was appropriate.  The "ending" I speak of was just a portion of the ending anyway.  "There are no [endings] in the..." oops, never mind :)  Anyway, I just wanted to speak of the emotion of that one small section.  I'm going to shut up and "let the record stand"  Just want to make sure people didn't take it the wrong way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:48:18 AM by SparrowHawk »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn series (HoA) ending. Major *SPOILER* (duh)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 02:50:47 AM »
I too wanted to cry. I've only cried over one book; it was Killer Angels, a civil war-type book. It was my second or third read-through, and I was reading the end about Pickett's charge during the battle of Gettysburg, and I finished it and went up to my room and cried. I hated that book, hated it, because it touched me so deeply and because I knew it was all real.
   I'm still a bit afraid to pick it up.
The ending of HOA didn't really strike me as dissapointing, just...well, I don't know. I agree with you, it could have been a bit more emotional.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Loki76

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:32:27 AM »
I kind of disagree.   I quite enjoyed the fact that the ending managed to kill off two of the main characters, but made the deaths seem natural and not as sad as they could have been.  But then, I think this better fits with my personal ideas about death.  (when the characters have a definite afterlife to go to in a book, death isn't quite as tragic. I think that's part of what made it less sad)  I actually have a lot more respect for the books mostly because the ending works in the ending and destruction of most of the world, yet I get more of an emotion of peace out of the end of it, then sadness.

Loki

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »
Well, the thing I seems strange to me is the ending itself. The last pages, that is. I mean, they were in a building, they go out and... grass wherever they can see? No buildings, no... anything? I mean, that's going to be hard on them. It just seemed to me... strange.

For the rest, I really loved it. Brandon is really good at writing both logical and unexpected en dings. When Elend died and Vin said he should have been dead since the end of book two, and it had been just a present the time she had with him since then... I wanted to cry. But well, Elend is my favourite character, so no surprise there. And I think Vin's actions were the... well, what they should be given Vin's life.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
I got a little misty eyed at the end of HoA, I'll admit it. Although I truly did cry when Sazed found Tindwyl's body in WoA.  :'(

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
I got a little misty eyed at the end of HoA, I'll admit it. Although I truly did cry when Sazed found Tindwyl's body in WoA.  :'(

Yeah, that hit me a lot harder then the end of HoA.  I really wanted to tear up when Vin and El died.  I was broken when Kel did.  I'm not quite sure if Brandon wanted this effect...but meh.  I think when a main char dies, you should be tearing up--but that might just be me.

EDIT:

And if that was a bit unclear, I (mostly) agree with the OP.  I liked the ending, but I don't think it was as emotionally powerful as it could have been.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:03:03 PM by Wielder »
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »
I got a bit moved at the ending. I really enjoyed the end, I believe it to be one of the best I've read(and watched for that matter). When Elend was killed I was a bit sad to be totally honest, but what really moved me(and got me all misty eye'd). Was that speach Elend gave at the caves. I really dont know what im getting at here. Just want to say something about the speach.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
I, too, liked Elend's last words in the speech he made a lot. It was like "ok, so you weren't sure you would fit as an emperor or as a king... thewre you have your answer".

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 04:52:49 PM »
I don't know. I think that Brandon tapped into strong emotions without having to make people want to cry. I felt almost. . . .  proud. I'm not going to lie. When I read a series I tend to make strong connections with characters and I mourn their passing. The thing about these characters is not that I wasn't connected to them and that I didn't want them to live. It was more that the sacrifices they made during the duration of the trilogy kind of described them. The final sacrifice in the name of everything they stood for was nothing more than valiant and it made me proud. I didn't want to cry because . . . .    well because that was who they were. They were the saviors of a world. Their passing was very iconic and brilliant. For those characters to have the story end in any other way would have been a shortcoming on their behalf. They deserved to do everything they could to save their world and in the end they did.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
I didn't cry at Elend's death because I fooled myself into believing that Brandon was trying to trick me again. He is very tricky. I was sure that Elend would pull through. But by the time I figured out that he wasn't going to pull through, I was at the point of Vin's death. And at that point I knew it was right.

I was reading through the last chapter thinking, I hate this ending, I hate this ending, then I finished the last page and said to myself, "I love this ending"

It was an interesting experience :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
I loved the ending because it wasn't "wrought with emotion".  I HATE it when a book pulls out all the emotional stops when someone dies, usually at the end, to give that great cathartic experience.  It is very hard to do well.  A lot of times I find myself crying but irritated at the suddenness or maudlin tone of the death.
Vin and Elend's deaths felt natural and completed their life.  I did shed a few tears but then again, I cry at the end of Lord of the Rings every time Frodo leaves from the Grey Havens too.

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 05:20:07 AM »
I don't know. I think that Brandon tapped into strong emotions without having to make people want to cry. I felt almost. . . .  proud. I'm not going to lie. When I read a series I tend to make strong connections with characters and I mourn their passing. The thing about these characters is not that I wasn't connected to them and that I didn't want them to live. It was more that the sacrifices they made during the duration of the trilogy kind of described them. The final sacrifice in the name of everything they stood for was nothing more than valiant and it made me proud. I didn't want to cry because . . . .    well because that was who they were. They were the saviors of a world. Their passing was very iconic and brilliant. For those characters to have the story end in any other way would have been a shortcoming on their behalf. They deserved to do everything they could to save their world and in the end they did.

wow this sums up it all. I totally agree^-^
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:27:15 AM »
I loved the ending too. I, also hate when emotioanl strings are tugged for their own sake. In this instance, Vin and Elend get to be together again in a way. they have "moved on" and that in itself was emotional without being overly so.

also, the ending left open a new beginning (possibly a new series) for the future. Basically, a colonization type setting, where you have a lush world with zero settlement, but a shedload of people. for the most part, all of the cities and towns had been destroyed anyway, levelling them wasnt really that bad of an idea.

But back to Vin and Elend: Their deaths where actually quite apropo, and if they had not died, I would have been disappointed.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:00:40 AM »
I didn't cry much at all, despite how much I wanted to. I cried a lot at Kell's death, so it's odd that I didn't cry hardly at all for Elend or Vin, even though I liked both of them a lot more than Kell.

And I absolutely loved the ending. I also think it was emotional--even if I didn't cry. It had other emotions wrapped up in it. I know this, because for the next couple of days--almost a week--after finishing it, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was so caught up in the ending of it that I couldn't write my own stuff...I also don't think I could listen to music (although this was somewhat self-imposed. I was going to compose a song about the end on the piano, which I never did finish...shame, that. Woulda been epic).

Anyway. I wouldn't want the ending changed for anything. It's incredible just the way it is. Definitely one of the best endings I have ever read in any book.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
How very odd.  I don't think I cried either (I don't remember, which means I probably didn't much if I did...)--and if I did I'm pretty sure it was out of anger instead of sadness.  I cry at everything.  Weddings for people I barely know, random shows, new year's when I realized 2008 was over...I cry at everything.

At the end of the book, I felt more angry than sad.  I felt a lot more emotion at the end of Mistborn and WoA.  The end of HoA I was just like..."What?  Ok, that's stupid."  I know everyone else loved the ending, that was just my reaction to it.  I mean like...Elend's life the last year was a gift?  Whatever!  The mist spirit killed him in the first place to get her to use the power.  He wouldn't have really died if they weren't involved in the whole thing.  I didn't think that made any sense--and even if it does, it certainly isn't what I would have thought if my husband had just got his head chopped off, even if he had previously been stabbed!  I wouldn't get to the "Oh, well, the last year was a gift anyways," until after at least a month of mourning. 

Vin never even had a real life...  Breeze and Alrianne get to settle down, but Vin and Elend don't?  *Sigh*  I guess I'm still angry...I love Mistborn and Brandon's books, though.